do I "have" to have a google/gmail?

KevTN

Reaction score
Hello I was reading my information on what to do to setup my X when I get it. I am really not wanting to setup a google/gmail account. Do I have to do this? I don't do facebook or anything like that either. Just my email address from my house.

Just curious....thanks

arabstar1982

Reaction score
As far as I know, you can't get around not setting up a google account, well from what I know, you can but you might as well send the phone back then because you won't be able to activate or use it... If you have an existing email through gmail, use it, otherwise, set it up for the phone and forget about it, or reject the shipment..... If you don't want to setup a google/gmail account, don't get an android phone because I believe they are all the same - tey require a google/gmail account to operate.... I could be wrong and if I am, please, someone correct me.

Garandhero

Reaction score
Yes... you are required to have Gmail, because if you don't you are not worthy of life...

Gmail = best email client.

You're welcome.

Cole_L

Reaction score
You don't HAVE to do anything. There is very nice integration with gmail and google voice in particular. Cannot use google voice on iphone and it drives iphone users nuts. Take a look at the list of cloud based applications that google has developed and be aware that the Android OS is a google product as well. Perhaps linking them to Android is a plan?

As far as gmail, why not open an account and simply forward any gmail messages to your home email leaving copies behind on google. Then you can look at those emails via the phone as well.

Then check out the google applications and see if they are worthy of using via the phone and desktop. Painless and perhaps worthwhile.