Do I get an X2? Or do I wait?

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
well I took the plunge and decided instead of using my upgrade I would buy a OG droid. I found one on ebay brand new, bid on it, and got it for 122.00. I'll mess around with it until the bionic comes out. I'm kind of excited about the purchase even though the phone is a couple years old. It'll be my first droid and I'm looking forward to messing around with rooting, overclocking, and roms. It'll give me a good understand of android before I get a new phone anyway! I thought long and hard about getting the x2 on my early upgrade but decided it would be better to save my upgrade for a phone I really want.

I think you made a good choice. There is no better phone out right now that has achieved what the D1 has with respect to custom roms and developer support.

Get that thing rooted asap! Try as many roms as you can, my favorite is Chevy's SS roms. But try them out and see what you like.

However, I suspect that once you use the Droid you will realize that you will not want a phone with a locked bootloader (no custom roms). So Motor I hope you are listening to us and don't lock your new super phones.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a D1 and D2. I wouldn't have a problem with a D1 until the Bionic comes out but I hear the D1 can be laggy.

While I don't have experience with the D2, I can say the D1 is outdated but it is still able to compete with the stock (non rooted) phones out today. The D1's major drawback is that it lacks sufficient ram for the time(not sure if the D2 is upgraded with more ram). With that said if you root the D1 and get it properly configured with the correct rom and kernal and some other tweaks, lag is nonexistent. I will say I've played with a stock D1 the other day and that was horrid. Root is a MUST on the D1 now a days. Also, I don't know the status of root and custom roms for the D2, I know it was locked down, not sure if this is still true.

I would not waste an upgrade on any phone out right now, my D1 still rocks! Thanks to Chevy!

leonard

Reaction score
I made my choice today. Used my upgrade and went from an Alltel V9M to a Droid X2. I will look at the options when the Bionic is released.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
well I took the plunge and decided instead of using my upgrade I would buy a OG droid. I found one on ebay brand new, bid on it, and got it for 122.00. I'll mess around with it until the bionic comes out. I'm kind of excited about the purchase even though the phone is a couple years old. It'll be my first droid and I'm looking forward to messing around with rooting, overclocking, and roms. It'll give me a good understand of android before I get a new phone anyway! I thought long and hard about getting the x2 on my early upgrade but decided it would be better to save my upgrade for a phone I really want.

I think you made a good choice. There is no better phone out right now that has achieved what the D1 has with respect to custom roms and developer support.

Get that thing rooted asap! Try as many roms as you can, my favorite is Chevy's SS roms. But try them out and see what you like.

However, I suspect that once you use the Droid you will realize that you will not want a phone with a locked bootloader (no custom roms). So Motor I hope you are listening to us and don't lock your new super phones.

Thanks, I think I made a good choice too! I can't wait to get it rooted and try out all the roms!

leonard

Reaction score
I made my choice today. Used my upgrade and went from an Alltel V9M to a Droid X2. I will look at the options when the Bionic is released.

I have used the X2 for a couple of days, and so far it works fine. It is much better than my company issued Droid 1. I think at this point I will probably just keep my personally owned X2, and get the company to upgrade the Droid 1 to a Boinic when it comes out.

BigZig

Reaction score
if it were me and i did not already have unlimited data i would get some cheap smart phone off Ebay or Craigslist and add unlimited data to you current plan.

magman

Reaction score
i just got off the phone with verizon and the guy said dont worry in about 6 months or so they will prolly move back to an unlimited plan.

hope that helps ease minds

leonard

Reaction score
Oh yea, I feel much better now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
That makes no sense. Once they have us accustom to the tiers, why would they go back unless they're losing that many customers?

magman

Reaction score
thats just what the tech guy told me on the phone cuz once they lock in the 2 year tier contracts they can get the other ppl back with the unlimited plans its a win win

Java

Reaction score
if it were me and i did not already have unlimited data i would get some cheap smart phone off Ebay or Craigslist and add unlimited data to you current plan.

I just borrowed my cousin's (hardly functional, but starts) old Droid, activating it month-to-month today on the unlimited data so I can buy the Bionic on a 2 yr contract when it comes out.
Well that's the plan at least. I'm not in the States right now, so having my mother attempt this. If she can't get it to work out I told her to just get an X2, I'll still be happy, just not quite as excited.
Here's to hoping it works so I can get the Bionic in August (I've been waiting since last Winter, haha) dancedroid

ModestMuse

Reaction score
thats just what the tech guy told me on the phone cuz once they lock in the 2 year tier contracts they can get the other ppl back with the unlimited plans its a win win

Good luck getting them to pay the ETF with Sprint when they choose to take their business elsewhere by instituting tiers.

magman

Reaction score

Good luck getting them to pay the ETF with Sprint when they choose to take their business elsewhere by instituting tiers.

lol i agree with that 100% i dont know like i said its just what the tech told me i am grandfatherd in but would be nice if new users could get it to. guess time will tell :p