Do certain types of work email systems require good meesaging?

clisk

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]My wife and I both recently got a Droid 2 phone, our first smart phones. Her companies IT department made the following claim that I am not sure is true.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"There’s two ways to get work email through your phone…one is using Good Messaging, and the other is to use the built-in email system on the phone. The upside to Good Messaging is that it keeps things separate on the phone (work contacts will be separate from personal contacts, etc) and when it locks after being idle for 20 minutes, you only have to put in a password to access the Good Messaging application, not the rest of the phone. The main downside is that it requires that you have the $45 data plan from Verizon (again, assuming that’s who you have). There isn’t a way to get around that, it’s a requirement setup by Verizon and Good Messaging.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The other way, using the built-in email system on the phone, works with the cheaper data plan, but will lock the entire phone after 20 minutes of inactivity, requiring you to put in the password to use other phone functions."[/FONT]

Does anyone know if this is true. I want her to have the full function of the phone but she does not want be going back and forth with her IT department on this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:unsure:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

mac424

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]My wife and I both recently got a Droid 2 phone, our first smart phones. Her companies IT department made the following claim that I am not sure is true. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"There’s two ways to get work email through your phone…one is using Good Messaging, and the other is to use the built-in email system on the phone. The upside to Good Messaging is that it keeps things separate on the phone (work contacts will be separate from personal contacts, etc) and when it locks after being idle for 20 minutes, you only have to put in a password to access the Good Messaging application, not the rest of the phone. The main downside is that it requires that you have the $45 data plan from Verizon (again, assuming that’s who you have). There isn’t a way to get around that, it’s a requirement setup by Verizon and Good Messaging.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The other way, using the built-in email system on the phone, works with the cheaper data plan, but will lock the entire phone after 20 minutes of inactivity, requiring you to put in the password to use other phone functions."[/FONT]

Does anyone know if this is true. I want her to have the full function of the phone but she does not want be going back and forth with her IT department on this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:unsure:

What? Once the corporate sync is set up in the phone, there is no re-entering a password for that account. It sounds like they're talking about the actual privacy lock on the phone (Swipe pattern, password). Once you unlock the screen, you're free to do whatever you want, IE check email, gmail, calander, make a call or play a game. I think your wife's IT department is a little lost.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I think I understand what they're trying to say.

What they are trying to say is that they have mobile device security enabled on their Exchange server so that if you setup a mobile device using the built-in email program (the only effects Android 2.2 or any HTC phone) it will force the user to configure a PIN to unlock the phone every single time the screen times out (which is a PITA).

They have setup Good Messaging (an add on for Exchange, Notes, JCS) which would allow someone to connect to their email without forcing the MS Exchange Mobile Device Security Policy. In order to do that, you would have to download and configure the Good Messaging application.

This way, the user would only have to provide a PIN to get to their e-mail, not every single time they wanted to use their phone.

Your wife's IT department sounds pretty smart to me. I wish my former employer had this setup so I didn't have to type in a PIN every time I wanted to unlock my phone. Where I work now, I am the Exchange admin, so I don't have to worry myself with such things.

-Mike

Last edited: