Do apps in app switcher still run or are they paused

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
i.e. if you have Google maps open in a switched away from session is it still running and using battery even if you aren't navigating? Trying to figure out if closing these app Windows will save battery?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's different between different models of phones, but on my Note4, I opened maps, then switched apps, then hit the "Active Apps" button at the bottom of the switcher screen, and it does not show maps as active.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It depends on which apps you are using. Most apps hibernate and Android starts kicking them to the curb when you start approaching the low RAM levels on your phone. It starts with the least used one first and works up the list from there.

Some apps do run though as they are designed to do so.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To add to what Ollie said, "killing" apps that are designed to run in the background can actually have a worst effect than allowing them to do their thing. Obviously, sometimes those apps, or even those that don't usually run in the background, can misbehave (usually after an update) though.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I want ti know why my phone gets ranomely hot and loses battery and what and when are they doing it. I turned gps off and it helped a little but it still gets hot. Uts also anoying no that when i use maps i have to toggle it on. I wish i could set maps to be the only thing that uses gps

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want ti know why my phone gets ranomely hot and loses battery and what and when are they doing it. I turned gps off and it helped a little but it still gets hot. Uts also anoying no that when i use maps i have to toggle it on. I wish i could set maps to be the only thing that uses gps
Get an app called Watch Dog Lite and tap preferences, check single alert after setting the threshold for alert in the setting above it
e338c2e3223063a530c5eafda5df53ca.jpg

31a93722db4d3201b74ac28c2eb65f80.jpg

310329ede206d32e76914e92bc1f396d.jpg

What it does is monitor what's using cpu, thus causing heat and battery drain. It's priceless for finding rogue apps and services.
It's also free I've got mine set to alert above 40% so anything that goes rogue well set off an alert. I can kill stuff from the alert or choose to ignore or even white list it , for things such as Android System that spike every now and then but that is normal behavior, so it won't alert again. You might find a higher threshold causes less alerts if you're trying to track down a problem.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have clicked on the "Active Apps" button at the bottom of the recent apps list, and found YouTube running and consuming over 50% of cpu, when I hadn't even used YouTube previously.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk
Edit: I should add though that I am one of the suckers who is suffering from a messed up Note4 after the Lollipop update. Yesterday I picked my phone up and it was in Safe Mode all by it self!

Last edited:
OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Get an app called Watch Dog Lite and tap preferences, check single alert after setting the threshold for alert in the setting above it

What it does is monitor what's using cpu, thus causing heat and battery drain. It's priceless for finding rogue apps and services.
It's also free I've got mine set to alert above 40% so anything that goes rogue well set off an alert. I can kill stuff from the alert or choose to ignore or even white list it , for things such as Android System that spike every now and then but that is normal behavior, so it won't alert again. You might find a higher threshold causes less alerts if you're trying to track down a problem.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I am trying watchdog lite and see what it shows i did change location services to not use gps which helps a bit but there us no quick or automatic way to to turn on gps when using maps which is the only time i need precise gos. I also notice when updating apps or when my ohone is searching for service it gets hit as well but knowing this i still dont have a fix. I did notice charging with the free secind battery case from lg seems(not sure if its chance) to make the battery last longer then charging in the phone

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am trying watchdog lite and see what it shows i did change location services to not use gps which helps a bit but there us no quick or automatic way to to turn on gps when using maps which is the only time i need precise gos. I also notice when updating apps or when my ohone is searching for service it gets hit as well but knowing this i still dont have a fix. I did notice charging with the free secind battery case from lg seems(not sure if its chance) to make the battery last longer then charging in the phone
I've used a GPS widget by Curvefish for years. It's free also and uses no cpu except during the moment it takes to toggle it on or off.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Gps off widget didnt work on lg g4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gps off widget didnt work on lg g4
Lollipop? I don't have it on any devices with lollipop and data toggle widgets no longer work on lollipop so that might be it if you are on 5.0 or above.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2

Hope that helps

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I tried watchdog light and there were some apps that spiked a few times a day but i use them or there goigle services. Informative but nit really a fix.