DMUpdater to be able to root 2.1 will never happen?

sano

Reaction score
If there was nothing in there before you started they should be safe to delete. Some time it takes a few minutes to extract the files though. Hope this helps.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also agree that "never" is an awful long time. It sounds like nobody is publicly working on rooting 2.1 at this time.

My guess is that rooting 2.1 is not easy or else someone would have done it. How's that for the genius statement of the day, lol. If it could be done in a few days or even at all someone would have done it.

For those that look at big red flashing warnings and numerous steps anything because easier if you break it down into smaller steps. If you want to root but the quantity of steps scares you just break them down, understand what each section does and you'll gain confidence.

Be warned, and I'm sure you've seen the threads, there are those who have spent hours to get their phone working how they want it. They all get there eventually but the posted methods don't guarantee it will go smoothly for you. The majority of the time it does and you're all set. There definitely are times someone struggles with their phone for 1/2 day or longer. Go into it as knowledgeably as you can :)

MrKleen

Reaction score
DroidMod was the only rom out there that was NOT a 2.1 rom. It simply is a 2.0.1 rom with stuff added. When the Sholes team broke up the person that knew how to write code left. What is left is DroidMod. DroidMod and Dmupdater were very wonderful tools a few months ago but quickly were left behind when the true 2.1 roms began coming out.

If you want a rooted 2.1 rom there are plenty of them out there. Until Droidmod comes out with an actual 2.1 rom they are nothing but a fond memory. I realize and fully appreciate all the help it has given to people that wouldn't have been able to root and load a custom rom otherwise, but they have not kept up with any of the other developers. DroidMods 2.0.1 modified rom was passed by about 2 months ago. And I am sad that they have not tried to maintain momentum, or even try to keep up.

Here is one of the best tips you will get: Get Rom Manager from the market, do some reading and then hook yourself up with CyanogenMod. It is built from the good stuff, not OLD 2.0.1 code. From there you can also load some of the other popular roms such as Pete's Bugless Beast which is a real 2.1 rom, and Blackdroids Ultimate Rom which is also real 2.1. I have run them all and they are all great. But if you want simple just load Rom Manager and let it load CyanogenMod for you. But first you will need to revert back to 2.0.1 using sbf. Then when you are back to stock 2.0.1 simply root it. Then when you are rooted 2.0.1, simply run Rom Manager... let it flash the clockworkmod recovery... then let it load the CyanogenMod. Rom Manager is as simple as Dmupdater but gives you FAR more.

I know Dmupdater made things very easy, and it was one of the HOTTEST things going. But they have not done anything to keep up. To me they should not have posted that there is no need to do a proper root on 2.1, because what it tells me is that they no longer have anyone that COULD do it in their group. I really do hope that they come out with a good 2.1 rom, and that they find someone to help them catch their program up with others. Looking at their "changelog" their last and only update was 1.0 on 2/21/2010. Is this acceptable to you?

If DroidMod is the only rom you would consider, I would say just stick with stock 2.1 cause you are at least up to date.

Again I tip my hat to the wonderfulness that DroidMod and Dmupdater used to be.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
DroidMod was the only rom out there that was NOT a 2.1 rom. It simply is a 2.0.1 rom with stuff added. When the Sholes team broke up the person that knew how to write code left. What is left is DroidMod. DroidMod and Dmupdater were very wonderful tools a few months ago but quickly were left behind when the true 2.1 roms began coming out.

If you want a rooted 2.1 rom there are plenty of them out there. Until Droidmod comes out with an actual 2.1 rom they are nothing but a fond memory. I realize and fully appreciate all the help it has given to people that wouldn't have been able to root and load a custom rom otherwise, but they have not kept up with any of the other developers. DroidMods 2.0.1 modified rom was passed by about 2 months ago. And I am sad that they have not tried to maintain momentum, or even try to keep up.

Here is one of the best tips you will get: Get Rom Manager from the market, do some reading and then hook yourself up with CyanogenMod. It is built from the good stuff, not OLD 2.0.1 code. From there you can also load some of the other popular roms such as Pete's Bugless Beast which is a real 2.1 rom, and Blackdroids Ultimate Rom which is also real 2.1. I have run them all and they are all great. But if you want simple just load Rom Manager and let it load CyanogenMod for you. But first you will need to revert back to 2.0.1 using sbf. Then when you are back to stock 2.0.1 simply root it. Then when you are rooted 2.0.1, simply run Rom Manager... let it flash the clockworkmod recovery... then let it load the CyanogenMod. Rom Manager is as simple as Dmupdater but gives you FAR more.

I know Dmupdater made things very easy, and it was one of the HOTTEST things going. But they have not done anything to keep up. To me they should not have posted that there is no need to do a proper root on 2.1, because what it tells me is that they no longer have anyone that COULD do it in their group. I really do hope that they come out with a good 2.1 rom, and that they find someone to help them catch their program up with others. Looking at their "changelog" their last and only update was 1.0 on 2/21/2010. Is this acceptable to you?

If DroidMod is the only rom you would consider, I would say just stick with stock 2.1 cause you are at least up to date.

This is why I said that if you want droidmod then you have to be on 2.1 already. They have been clearly saying they were waiting for the official 2.1. They are probably going to use the root exploit people already have and build a mod off of that.

airborne3e9

Reaction score

This is why I said that if you want droidmod then you have to be on 2.1 already. They have been clearly saying they were waiting for the official 2.1. They are probably going to use the root exploit people already have and build a mod off of that.

wow...thats way wrong...dude please research ur stuff b4 just throwing it out thr...the droidmod team did clearly say they whr waiting for the official 2.1 but not to root it...the droid has already been rooted!!! They whr waiting for the official 2.1 to base thr rom off of. if uve been flashing roms for awhile or keeping up with the threads ull see that untill 2.1 officially came out all the devs whr releasing roms built off unofficial/leaked 2.1 versions which is why uve seen so many updates for those roms. droidmod did not want to do this. they just wanted to wait for the official 2.1 to build thr rom so once they release thr update it will b bases off the solid 2.1 version.

MrKleen

Reaction score

wow...thats way wrong...dude please research ur stuff b4 just throwing it out thr...the droidmod team did clearly say they whr waiting for the official 2.1 but not to root it...the droid has already been rooted!!! They whr waiting for the official 2.1 to base thr rom off of. if uve been flashing roms for awhile or keeping up with the threads ull see that untill 2.1 officially came out all the devs whr releasing roms built off unofficial/leaked 2.1 versions which is why uve seen so many updates for those roms. droidmod did not want to do this. they just wanted to wait for the official 2.1 to build thr rom so once they release thr update it will b bases off the solid 2.1 version.

You have got to be kidding right? You are saying that the ESE53 that Verizon first said they were releasing wasn't solid ? lol Ok, let's go off the hope that they will release a 2.1 rom... shouldn't they take down the out of date 2.0.1 rom that they have out there now so that people are not on outdated software? Are you saying that they are trying to be noble by not doing a 2.1 rom before the release? That is very silly if it is, cause they are having people void their warranties if you want to be frank. They are providing people the ability to modify their phones, so why not give them software that improves as time goes by? It has nothing to do with being noble and not wanting to put out a 2.1 release before it's time. It is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong... is that it has more to do with ability.

If they were waiting for the official 2.1 how long do you think it will be before they release their rom? And I sure hope it is not simply rooted official 2.1 because we already have that. For the sake of the memory of the original Sholes group I hope they don't just put out 2.1 with a couple modified live wallpapers. I hope they can show some creativity like they used to. If not there are those that can... (Cyanogenmod... and several others)

I understand that people love what Dmupdater provided, I really do. It was wonderful! But they need to demonstrate that they can come up with something NEW. And if they can't it is ok, they will live on in our memories of things that were great in their time. Time is ticking and will soon show is if the Sholes/Droidmod is extinct.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The difference between ESE53 and ESE81 was said to be mostly security patches....

airborne3e9

Reaction score
This is from the droidmod webpage...i was just passing on what they said not making my own stuff up

"The engineering release of ESE53 is bit of a scenario for us. We could hurry up and throw something together, or we could work hard at what we were already working on. We decided that if/when we get a sanctioned OTA 2.1 release we will look into it more thoroughly for 1.x. Till then, we are keeping ourselves out of grey area of copying/pasting/illegal/warez/crap, and are working toward doing some great things."

MrKleen

Reaction score
This is from the droidmod webpage...i was just passing on what they said not making my own stuff up

"The engineering release of ESE53 is bit of a scenario for us. We could hurry up and throw something together, or we could work hard at what we were already working on. We decided that if/when we get a sanctioned OTA 2.1 release we will look into it more thoroughly for 1.x. Till then, we are keeping ourselves out of grey area of copying/pasting/illegal/warez/crap, and are working toward doing some great things."

I for one look forward to them putting out something great! But the statement that they don't want to copy paste illegal crap is sorta a joke since their 2.0.1 rom is illegal, and all the added features from 2.1 is copy pasted in....

They should at the very least let those that are installing their rom that it is old and outdated code. At least make people aware that there a much better options out there.

My guess is that they are working off inability, not high moral ethics based on their product is exactly what they speak against. I really do hope the product they eventually put out has some inspiration. But how much longer could it possibly take?

billyidle

Reaction score
Um, what can any other roms do that DroidMod can't do? What about people (like me) that hate having daily updates with roms. I prefer a solid release every few months. The last DroidMod release was near perfect and I see no reason I need an update yet.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Um, what can any other roms do that DroidMod can't do? What about people (like me) that hate having daily updates with roms. I prefer a solid release every few months. The last DroidMod release was near perfect and I see no reason I need an update yet.

Nothing wrong with that! If the rom you are using works and makes you happy that is all that really matters. There is nothing wrong with DroidMod

The reason the other roms come out with updates is not because there are flaws (most of the time), but because they make improvements and use updated code. If you don't want to waste time loading updates all the time, just pick a rom you like and stick with it. Just because DroidMod doesn't make the effort to keep up doesn't mean it is any better, actually it is simply a 2.0.1 rom with stuff copy and pasted in. Nothing wrong with that if it works!

There is a benefit for those that are still with DroidMod, or any custom rom. You are in a position that allows you choice in the future. You have the choice to stay where you are, or you can try a different rom. Choice is a great thing, and DroidMod and Dmupdater has given MANY people the ability to have a choice when before Dmupdater they would probably not have.

Even if DroidMod only comes out with a rooted vanilla 2.1 rom cause that's all they can do, it will still be wonderful. Because if you take the official 2.1 update you will be locked down unless you go through the process of using RSD Lite to flash back. At least with a rooted 2.1 plain rom you will at least maintain the ability to have future options.

No doubt DroidMod and Dmupdater rocks if you want a 2.0.1 rom!