DM 1.0 Lock this AM After Weeks of Stability

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by REARless, Mar 20, 2010.

1. REARless

REARless New Member

No need for suggestions on this. But I thought I would post this in case suddenly others were getting this issue.

I have been running DM 1.0 for weeks now and it has been stable as a rock.

Suddenly this AM it locked up hard and I had to do a battery pull. Then it locked in the reboot flash screen. I waited 20 minutes and still stuck on the DroidMod boot screen. I did another battery pull and it appeared to go into the normal unlock screen but it was locked there. I was just about to consider unroot options but decided on one more battery pull. It booted fine this time and has been stable for an hour.

I have not added ANY apps or done ANY config changes for a week. Not even a wallpaper change.

(Was Vz trying too send me an OTA?) I do have a very early hardware release - 39/09.

Like I said, I am not looking for suggestions, but I thought I would bring this up in case this happens to others.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Definitely was not Verizon. And just as an FYI we watched distribution of 2.0.1 very closely here and hardware release had nothing to do with the distribution process. It's totally random.
  3. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I'm running droidmod also and I've noticed my phone has been acting funky since thursday, which was the release of 2.1 if I'm correct. Could be a coincidence, but I don't know..
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Had a couple of random reboots yesterday. I doubt it was because of 2.1 because droidmod has sprecovery 99.3 which suppose to block otas.
  5. pc747

To add: if DM makes a ROM for 2.1 I will go back to them. Them boys seem to be on the right track and doing it right. I like how they are setting up a bug tracker to deal with issues in their roms. No, they are not releasing a new ROM every week like they did when they first started or like other dev. But they are releasing good ROMS. And if this ROM, DM 1.0, was "rushed"; then I have a good feeling the ROM they spending a lot of time on and waiting to get a clean and official ota to build on, it is going to be even more stable then this ROM.
  6. rawburt

rawburt New Member

Very odd, I also noticed my phone acting up with dm1.0
  7. Amall

Amall New Member

Mine's been having strange locks where ill press the home button and nothing icons will never appear on the background. Or, it will show the full homescreen, but it will not respond to touch at all (i.e., the homescreens wont slide, the home button wont vibrate when pushed, etc). The standby button will always work though...
  8. Humpa

Humpa New Member

DM1.0 is a very old rom now in the Droid community (based on the frequency of updates and new roms). I know some complain that the new rom's come out way too frequently. But that's just because they find bugs and make improvements - feel free to ignore updates. ;)

But we've moved passed the old 2.0.1 custom roms (like DM1.0). The new ESE53 build is much better - I would use a Droid with the stock ESE53 sbf before I'd go back to DM.

Anyone on DM1 can go to any other rom with ZERO repercussions. Why not just do it? Make a nandroid back up first, and use it to restore back to DM if you are not happy.

Personally, I like Adamz's ESE53 Smoked Glass (v6), but since they are all based on the same thing, personal preference is the main difference between them all.
  9. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Mostly personal preference. I like the way the DM guys operate, and I dont really like the idea of my ROM being built off stolen property. I'm not going to look down on anyone who decides they want ESE53, but in the world of open source software, there's really no reason to use something that's not legitimate.

Back to the topic at hand. OP, I think it's just coincidence. Reflash if you want, should fix your problems.
  10. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Ah, I thought it was just DM that had gone off the deep end. Sad to see they took people with them. :(
  11. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dog Droid mod with my statements.
    DroidMod is a awesome ROM.. and has a team of very talented people involved in doing what they are doing. However, them in my opinion, saying they will not use the leaked files because of them being stolen or warez or whatever.... I dont buy it, for whatever reason they have its just a excuse to me. Maybe its because I came from the blackberry world.. and I have just became accustom to seeing leaked software posted on every blackberry forum I've been to. It all was obtained without RIMS permission.

To those that side with droidmod and say they will not use anything else because you don't want any part of using illegally obtained files on your phone. I ask you this.. Are you using WiFi tether that is in your DroidMod rom? Do you relize that you are stealing Verizon wireless bandwidth? You are in violation of your contract that you signed with Verizon. See... its kind of hard to take a ethical high road and say I wont use "this" but its okay to use "that" because it suits my needs/wants. All of the things included in many ROMs can come under scrutiny. When your taking and dumping files from an HTC device and porting them to work on the Droid. I'm more then sure HTC doesn't appreciate that. Heck look what happened when the Guy that made beautiful Widgets at first. HTC was all over him until he changed it.
    I guess my point is when you hack your phone... to some point your always going to obtain some sort of software in it that could be considered warez, stolen, or whatever.
    Now with that being said. Again I'm not bashing droidmod. Its there right to build what they want. How they want to build it. When they release their next ROM I will be probably the first to install it. I'm excited to see what they are working on. I just do not agree with their statements that was made.
  12. Humpa

Humpa New Member

... and even though the ESE53 sbf was obtained in a manner unauthorized by Moto or VZW (not sure what the correct term is, be it theft or whatever - let's call it theft though), it is simply the official release version in raw flash format (monster file) that is intended for a VZW Droid. And we are taking this file that someone stole and put on the web, and we're putting it on a VZW Droid. And in a week or two, all VZW Droids will have ESE53 as well.

Obviously there is some type(s) of legal/criminal wrong doing by whoever is stealing files from an employer, but the Droid community?
    OMG, what horrendous ethics to use the leaked official software release instended for your actual device/carrier. :D
  13. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Humpa I could not have said I better myself! I totally agree with everything you just said. :) now I guess we better get back on topic before we feel the mod stick upside our heads LOL... sorry OP didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    Back on topic... glad you brought this to our attention.
  14. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Yeah, sorry for ranting. Normally I provide help and info and insight ... and that's about it.
    People that know me know that I don't get involved in anything "opinionated" or in any "hot topics", and ethics is definately one of those things! And both sides of this argument have valid points.

But it is my birthday, so I'll let myself slide on this one.
    I'll not go off topic again. ;)

EDIT: and I have nothing against DM either. I may think "oddly" of them, but I like their work and I send people there for an easy way to root and get recovery.
  15. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, I'm giving you two a 7 day timeout for going off topic...lol. You and Humpa are absolutely correct. DM had its place and I used the ROM when they first brought it out, because I'm one of those who was paranoid of "bricking" my phone when I went to root. DM is still the "go to" for people needing an easy method to root their Droid with easy to follow steps. I haven't seen anything since DM1.0 came out. The best ROM's out there are ESE53 now.

As for the lock up the O.P. has, unfortunately I have no advice for you.
  16. Mojo

Mojo New Member

LOL Vulcan rider
  17. Humpa

Humpa New Member

For the lockup problem, I'd just reflash the DM1 rom. Just don't wipe data, or if you do, just restore data with a nandroid back up after reflashing DM1.

I can't imagine that not resolving it. But if it doesn't, I'd suggest 2.0.5. That was my favorite DM rom. I didn't like DM1 (I had a few small issues with it), so I went back to 2.0.5 and stuck with it until the ESE53 came out. It ran just about as good as ESE53 does.
  18. barbee

barbee New Member

um i might have a bigger problem. i just woke up and my droid wont power up at all. it was on the charger last night and when i took it off the Moto splash screen flashed and then the phone rebooted. (its been acting weird too lately) Now it wont do anything. i try to power it back up and it does nothing. when it plugged in the little light next to the charger lights up

any ideas.
    DM 1.0 800 MHz
  19. pc747

Do a battery pull
  20. barbee

barbee New Member

i have done several batt. pulls.