Dlna?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried dlna? Most of my music plays fine through the music controller but some won't play. And for some reason none of my videos work through the video controller. Anyone have any idea why?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, nice to see you back on the forum. It reminds me of the old days when the Droid 1 first came out and we were all curious about what our devices could do.

Secondly, can you tell me what DLNA is? Some things never change, and for me, I'm dumb when it comes to this new stuff. There's several things about this phone I don't understand yet and still use DF to get my answers.

Is DLNA what we'll be able to use to hook our phone to our TV sets? I thought somehow we were going to be able to do that.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had to take a break to take care of graduate applications now that those are done in have some time to come back haha, plus having the thunderbolt has got me excited about rooting again lol.

Anyway, yeah that's basically what dlna is. I'm trying to get videos to play on our tv set, and so far I've only gotten most of my songs to play. But still some won't work. I've tried to find differences between ones that work and one's that don't but can't seem to pinpoint anything.
Edit: dlna is done all wirelessly btw.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had to take a break to take care of graduate applications now that those are done in have some time to come back haha, plus having the thunderbolt has got me excited about rooting again lol.

Anyway, yeah that's basically what dlna is. I'm trying to get videos to play on our tv set, and so far I've only gotten most of my songs to play. But still some won't work. I've tried to find differences between ones that work and one's that don't but can't seem to pinpoint anything.

Welcome back and glad you got your school work all done. I see there's a guide out tonight how to root the TB, but I'm certainly going to hold off for a while myself. I'm sure you'll dive right in!

Can you tell me what I would use to take advantage of DLNA?

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Welcome back and glad you got your school work all done. I see there's a guide out tonight how to root the TB, but I'm certainly going to hold off for a while myself. I'm sure you'll dive right in!

lmao darn you know me too well haha, trying to root now. I'm a tad scared though lmao. I forgot a lot of the terminal commands I learned when rooting the droid 1 (those were the days lol).

Yeah sure, to use DLNA make sure the device you are playing is DLNA certified. For me it was my Sony Bravia. If you go to your music app and play a song, press menu and select "select Player". If everything is working correctly it should pick up the device you're trying to connect to. In my case it just said "Sony Bravia". I selected it and it should buffer and start to play on your TV (or whatever device you're trying to stream to).

Ok off to go root :icon_ banana:! wish me luck. :icon_eek:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

lmao darn you know me too well haha, trying to root now. I'm a tad scared though lmao. I forgot a lot of the terminal commands I learned when rooting the droid 1 (those were the days lol).

Yeah sure, to use DLNA make sure the device you are playing is DLNA certified. For me it was my Sony Bravia. If you go to your music app and play a song, press menu and select "select Player". If everything is working correctly it should pick up the device you're trying to connect to. In my case it just said "Sony Bravia". I selected it and it should buffer and start to play on your TV (or whatever device you're trying to stream to).

Ok off to go root :icon_ banana:! wish me luck. :icon_eek:
So did you know the root instructions were out before I mentioned it?

I just hit Select Player, and sadly only "My Phone" is selected. My Visio TV apparently isn't capable. Oh well. Is there a way to use HDMI? Or, another device that can connect to the TV that my phone would recognize?

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah lol, I was up all night following root updates.

Hmm if you have a usb connection on your tv you could plug it in and select disk mount. That the only way to access your files though and you'b be using your tv controls instead of your phone. I'm not sure if theres a way around it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hmm if you have a usb connection on your tv you could plug it in and select disk mount. That the only way to access your files though and you'b be using your tv controls instead of your phone. I'm not sure if theres a way around it.
I know I have HDMI but not sure about a USB. Is that normal for a TV to have a USB plug? Both Visio TV's we have are newer HD ones but apparently not new enough.

I was thinking, it might be fun to walk into Best Buy and go to the TV department and start playing with the DLNA.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

I know I have HDMI but not sure about a USB. Is that normal for a TV to have a USB plug? Both Visio TV's we have are newer HD ones but apparently not new enough.

Hmm I think the newer models do. Both our Tv are new and both have usb, hdmi, and integrated wifi. So not sure lol. If yours only has hdmi then I'm afraid you can't connect without some sort of multimedia dock.

Oh yeah, lmao I had to abort rooting. I thought I almost bricked me phone by doing a step wrong, luckily it was still ok. I'm gonna wait til Monday as I'm going to try and exchange this bolt. The volume up button is sunken in and is really hard to press. Plus the backlights on my capacitive buttons are uneven. You think they'd give me a replacement? If I'm stuck with this phone for two years it better be flawless lmao.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hmm I think the newer models do. Both our Tv are new and both have usb, hdmi, and integrated wifi. So not sure lol. If yours only has hdmi then I'm afraid you can't connect without some sort of multimedia dock.

Oh yeah, lmao I had to abort rooting. I thought I almost bricked me phone by doing a step wrong, luckily it was still ok. I'm gonna wait til Monday as I'm going to try and exchange this bolt. The volume up button is sunken in and is really hard to press. Plus the backlights on my capacitive buttons are uneven. You think they'd give me a replacement? If I'm stuck with this phone for two years it better be flawless lmao.

I'll look at my TV's in a bit. As for returning the TB, yes, the up/down buttons are not right, that alone will get you a replacement. It's manufacture defect.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly for me, both the main TV's downstairs at our house do not have USB, just HDMI and everything else.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sadly for me, both the main TV's downstairs at our house do not have USB, just HDMI and everything else.

That's ok , do you know if the multimedia dock has an hdmi adapter? You might be able to use that.

uscjoel

Reaction score
JRummy...is there anyway to make a addon for DLNA? I was playing around with it today when I had to flah back to .340, and I didnt realize how cool of a feature it was.

Snow02

Reaction score
There are dlna apps you can try like twonky and skifta.

uscjoel

Reaction score
all of the ones ive seen on the market have bad ratings...