DLNA devices

ionide

Reaction score
So the XBox360 must act as a media server, and the PS3 does not....?

Gibsond

Reaction score
TWONKY works perfectly for ps3 Ive tried Recorded videos and downloaded.

Morlince

Reaction score
Just powered up WMC on my xbox and vids and pictures sent from phone just fine... That was easy..

so media center saw your TB automatically? i don't even have the TB yet, but this sure would be a nice feature if it's that simple to implement...

Yeah just got new xbox and by time I was finished sync my laptop to WMC on xbox the TB picked up with the stock HTC app for connecting to devices. Pretty sure the CPU has to be connected to but not sure as I didn't test without PC running. But it sent pics and vids wirelessly no problem to the xbox and TV.

Did you have to look for the phone on the xbox or did you just 'send' it from the phone to the xbox once it was visible and it just started showing it on the xbox/tv?

YungFrshCrckr

Reaction score
You have to register your laptop/desktop first with the Xbox so that it will open Windows Media Center on the Xbox. Once it's registered, you can click on the connected media icon in your applications on the Thunderbolt. From there, it will automatically detect the Xbox and you can control your music from the Thunderbolt.

My next test is without the laptop on.

EDIT: Laptop must be on. At least one Windows Media Extender device (in this case the laptop), must be on for the Xbox to turn on Windows Media Center.

WarJammer

Reaction score
I can't get the DLNA feature to work on my Thunderbolt. I go to "Connected Media", select an item to share, then go to Menu->Select Player. The hourglass spins but the only item it ever shows is "My Phone". I have lots of other devices on the same network too including 3 computers, 1 Google TV, and 1 XBOX360 running Windows Media Center. All the other devices can share music/videos/photos properly, but I don't see my Thunderbolt listed on the network. And WIFI is working just fine on my phone...I can use it to connect to the internet & play media off my computer. It seems like the DLNA feature on the Thunderbolt doesn't do anything at all, or maybe requires some sort of configuration before using the Connected Media app. I've tried the Gallery too & that does the same thing. Suggestions anyone?

WarJammer

Reaction score
You shouldn't need Twonky for a Thunderbolt. A Thunderbolt is supposed to already provide DLNA connectivity using its "Connected Media" app. You are essentially bypassing the feature that was included with the phone.

Javaknight

Reaction score
I think the Thunderbolt only acts as a DLNA player so has no way to send to the 360. I think we were mislead as to the true DLNA capabilities of the Thunderbolt but I could obviously be wrong.

Connected Media didn't work for me but Twonky does. if someone can get the Thunderbolt to work without it please post!

WarJammer

Reaction score
When you run the "Connected Media" app, the caption at the top says "Choose a media type to send to a nearby player". That sounds like the Thunderbolt is acting as the server, not the player. Then you have to use the "Select Player" feature. Also, on page 276 of the full HTC Thunderbird user manual, it gives a little information on using the feature. It says "Once connected to the other device, your phone opens up the Controller screen where you can..." play, pause, shuffle & control the media on the other device. That sounds like you have full remote control of the other device.

Javaknight

Reaction score
thanks for the full user manual! I will give that a shot later and see if the 360 can find it - I'll be thrilled if it works!

Javaknight

Reaction score
nope, using Connected Media the phone doesn't see the 360 as an available player :( not sure why but I'll keep playing....

Javaknight

Reaction score
it looks like a media server needs to be involved to connect to the 360, which is what Twonky provides. if someone has Windows Media Center setup maybe they can test things out. I'm trying to avoid setting up a separate server just for this...

does anyone have a brand new TV that supports DLNA? maybe they can offer more insight.