DLNA devices

ionide

Reaction score
Also curious about this. I'm able to get it to work with Twonky, so it's not a real issue, but per the phone documentation it should be able to work and it doesnt.

You should be able to:
Open a picture in gallery
Press Menu
Press Select Player
and it should work.

Or

Go to Connected Media App
Touch Photos
Touch the photo you want to share
and it will search for a player for you to select to send it to.

I have been unable to get that to work, and I can use Twonky so it's fine, but just curious what I'm doing wrong, because if it's built into the OS to be able to do, I don't understand why I'd need to use Twonky.

Any ideas?

Morlince

Reaction score
I agree it should just work without having to open up videos on the xbox and search for twonky mobile server to get it to work. There has to be an easier way. I'm going to work on this hopefully I can figure it out.

/\\/\\orlince
Sent from my Thunderwielding phone using Tapatalk

ionide

Reaction score
I agree it should just work without having to open up videos on the xbox and search for twonky mobile server to get it to work. There has to be an easier way. I'm going to work on this hopefully I can figure it out.

/\\/\\orlince
Sent from my Thunderwielding phone using Tapatalk

I looked up the Thunderbolt's certification on dlna.org and compared it with the Droid X. The Thunderbolt is listed as a Mobile Digital Media Player, whereas the Droid X is listed as a Mobile Digital Media Server.

So I understand then why I can't see it on my PS3, which is also a Player, not a Server.

But I don't understand why they advertise it the way they do, and why it has the option on it to "Select Player" or "Choose Media to send to nearby player", when it's not a server.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of DLNA devices will see this and explain it to me.

scottt732

Reaction score
I've tested this by streaming from my Thunderbolt to XBMC. You need to enable WiFi and be on the same network as whatever device you are trying to stream to.

The Connected Media app is one way to go. Another is to use the Gallery (for videos) or Music apps. Hit the menu button and click 'Select Player'. A popup menu should appear listing all DLNA/UPnP devices that are capable of accepting the content. If you don't see any, try installing XBMC somewhere on the network.

Nice little feature.

slinky

Reaction score
The real negative of all this dawned on me. With an HDMI cable, it should be possible to plug in a Bionic into any monitor and show your Power Point presentations or anything else while traveling. 99.9% of the places I have been to don't have DLNA or need for it.

I'll try connecting this to my TV via my PS3 but I don't really see the need that this will ever arise. My parents don't have a PS3 and hence don't have DLNA. Sad but this isn't a truly useful feature IMHO.

evereddie

Reaction score
The real negative of all this dawned on me. With an HDMI cable, it should be possible to plug in a Bionic into any monitor and show your Power Point presentations or anything else while traveling. 99.9% of the places I have been to don't have DLNA or need for it.

I'll try connecting this to my TV via my PS3 but I don't really see the need that this will ever arise. My parents don't have a PS3 and hence don't have DLNA. Sad but this isn't a truly useful feature IMHO.
It just means we will have to buy one more add on. There are DLNA devices thar plug into the video port on a TV that will let this work. Sadly just more money out the door.

slinky

Reaction score

It just means we will have to buy one more add on. There are DLNA devices thar plug into the video port on a TV that will let this work. Sadly just more money out the door.

I'm not sure how this will work on a monitor in an office environment where everything is secured. They may also not take kindly to use and there is no guarantee that any of this will work, certainly not as reliably as plugging it in. Not horrible but certainly not a great idea. The HD recording is disappointing but at least it's 720p.

kerrdj

Reaction score
i cant get my phone to "send" media but it recieves just fine. i have the files from my computer viewable on my phone(pics and music, videos wont play) but i cant send files from my phone to my computer or my ps3.

i did get a notification when trying to watch video on my phone that i needed a dlna license but it disappeared before i could click on it.

viper1549

Reaction score
has anyone had luck streaming video from the TB to Logitech Google TV? The default connected media app doesnt work with it but i downloaded twonky and was able to steam music and pics.. videos didnt work..

anyone have any ideas?

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just powered up WMC on my xbox and vids and pictures sent from phone just fine... That was easy..

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
has anyone had luck streaming video from the TB to Logitech Google TV? The default connected media app doesnt work with it but i downloaded twonky and was able to steam music and pics.. videos didnt work..

anyone have any ideas?

I'm not there yet as my TB arrives tomorrow but I am wondering what file type your videos are on the TB. Are these recorded on the TB or avi/mpg/other?

As you are no doubt aware, the media player on the Revue is woefully inadequate in the types it supports. I've been waiting for months for it to get updated to play my "home movies".

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just powered up WMC on my xbox and vids and pictures sent from phone just fine... That was easy..

so media center saw your TB automatically? i don't even have the TB yet, but this sure would be a nice feature if it's that simple to implement...

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

so media center saw your TB automatically? i don't even have the TB yet, but this sure would be a nice feature if it's that simple to implement...

Yeah just got new xbox and by time I was finished sync my laptop to WMC on xbox the TB picked up with the stock HTC app for connecting to devices. Pretty sure the CPU has to be connected to but not sure as I didn't test without PC running. But it sent pics and vids wirelessly no problem to the xbox and TV.