DLNA devices

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I know the TB has DLNA and not HDMI. No problem there. What I am trying to figure out is how to connect with non DLNA TV. I know there has been some discussion randomly through the threads but wanted to start a thread to figure out best methods.

Personally I am looking into iusing my Xbox 360. My question is can it be done? I know that it has DLNA capabilites. Does this mean I can just connect my TB with the Xbox whenever and run things through the Xbox? Do I still need something like the HTC Media Dock? Any insight?

envirosciguy

Reaction score
So I know the TB has DLNA and not HDMI. No problem there. What I am trying to figure out is how to connect with non DLNA TV. I know there has been some discussion randomly through the threads but wanted to start a thread to figure out best methods.

Personally I am looking into iusing my Xbox 360. My question is can it be done? I know that it has DLNA capabilites. Does this mean I can just connect my TB with the Xbox whenever and run things through the Xbox? Do I still need something like the HTC Media Dock? Any insight?

I want to do the exact same thing. Anyone out there with experience on connecting another device with DLNA to an Xbox 360?

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thnaks.. Yeah looking through the pages here and on the internet it seems perfectly feasible. Just need to get one in my hands and go home and try it out.. Any X users do this already with DLNA and Xbox?

motty69

Reaction score
I've got and old a$$ CRT television which I won't be able to replace anytime soon. I'm thinking of getting a WD Live box from Amazon for less than $100. It would work with my old style connections as well as newer HDTVs. It does a whole lot more than the adapter from HTC for less than $20 more. :)

atpjoe

Reaction score
Have always wondered what dlna was... sounds pretty dope. I have ps3s on all our TVs so hopefully it works.

Sent from my GSBv1.6-ERIS using DroidForums App

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I don't have hands on experience with DNLA or DLNA whatever it's called but I've read a fair amount of documentation about it and seeing this thread I was thinking about the downsides of DNLA , apart from not supporting HD video , the price of the adapter ( $130-$150 ) and limited flexibility and mobility here is another one , I was just thinking , if DLNA is using TCP/IP to send information you need the WNIC enabled on your phone which will disable your 3G/4G connection so you won't be able to use VZ data plan to stream movies , webpages or internet related content to your TV through DLNA .

motty69

Reaction score
DLNA works through (and requires?) a wifi or lan connection. I believe it has to have an IP address on your local network. Pushing it through your cell connection (especially 3G) would add to much latency for a smooth experience.

Sent from my Eris

urklegrue

Reaction score
So has anyone figured out how this works yet? I have an XBox 360 and now the Thunderbolt. How to get them to communicate?

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
I don't have my TB yet (c'mon FedEx!) but from previous research, I believe that the TB doesn't come with a DNLA server. I was going to go the route of downloading TwonkyServer Mobile from the market. I played with it on my Droid quite a while ago but the memory requirements were more than my Droid could supply.

I then plan on trying DNLA via my PS3 and Logitech Revue.

urklegrue

Reaction score
I figured out how to stream music using Twonky to the XBox, which was pretty cool. The video thing though is a puzzle since the format used by Android isn't recognized.

Reaction score
I'm thinking you will either have to get the HTC Media Link, or hopefully the Multimedia Dock will allow you to connect through HDMI.

TheDroidAbides

Reaction score

I actually just tried this with my Droid X and Xbox 360 last night and it worked like a charm for pics and music. Videos didn't show up but I'm sure it's just because the Xbox doesn't recognize 3gp files. Open the DLNA app on the phone and turn on media sharing. Then on the Xbox under My Xbox go to music, pictures, or video library where it shows the list of available sources. The phone didn't show up at first until I realized that in the settings for the DLNA app is a box you can check to enable streaming to Xbox. A box will appear on the phone at some point asking to allow the Xbox to connect. Just click ok and you should be good to go.