Diy Droid 2 repair questions

staguardianangel

Reaction score
First time to post here, but I've learned ALOT of things reading through posts for all my droid phones, so here it goes....

My wife took her phone(Droid 2 R2d2) swimming in her pocket...OMG I was pissed....Dried the phone out, it made normal r2d2 noises, but the screen never came on. We replaced her phone, and she got a new Droid 2 global.... I'm not giving up on R2D2 though, 3 months later, I'm working on repairing him to his former glory.

Where I'm at today: Phone powers on, Charges, and upon discovery, The Backlight on the lcd is out, you can read the screen with a flashlight, and the digitizer is dead, no touch screen.

So with that said, Would a new LCD, and Digitizer fix all the problems?

Are the backlights built into the lcd?

EDIT: PS: I was messing with the phone and realized none of the LED's on the front are working...which leads me to my next question,

Does the ribbon cable(which contains the LED's and proximity and light detector, control the Display backlight

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's hard to say whether a new digitizer and LCD will fix a liquid damaged device. However, the cable does control to LED's to a certain extent.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
staguardianangel

staguardianangel

Reaction score
ok, I think i might start with a new digitizer and ribbon, Does the LCD have built in backlights? trying to get a better understanding of the inner workings, i know right now it's lights out for everything. I just wasnt sure if the ribbon cable would contribute to all the problems if it was water damaged

OP
staguardianangel

staguardianangel

Reaction score
Ok, So bought a new Ribbon cable, Digitizer, and replace those parts on my phone, everything went flawlessly after floollowing some online tutorials.....

There is one tiny peice I can't figure out where it goes.... looks like a small plastic peice about 1/8 by 1/8 in, odd shaped, i'll try to take a pic of it.

Phone Won't turn on.... Turned on, and everything worked but the digitizer and backlights before........did i miss something?

DeathCrasher

Reaction score
With a water damaged phone the possible causes for what you are describing are basically endless. When the water made contact with the inner workings of the phone it could have shorted out any one (or any number) of components. And its really difficult to discover what component has failed on devices like these with miniature surface mount parts. With that said, if you replaced the LCD screen, digitizer, and ribbion cable with no change its time to part the device out or get very comfortable with the idea of probing the board for the cause and possibly damaging it beyond repair.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums