DIY Casio Commando Windshield Mount

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by reh8388, Jul 25, 2011.

1. reh8388

reh8388 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys this is my first post but I figured it might inspire some of you guys who, like me, were going crazy not having a dedicated windshield mount for our phone. Here are some pictures of the end result, read on past the pictures if you want to know how I made it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's what I did.

Materials:

1 - Casio Commando Desktop Charging Cradle
    1 - Ram Mount suction cup mount w/ arm and diamond plate mount

1 - 12"x24" sheet of 1/8" thick black ABS textured plastic

Procedure:

1. Use paper, cardboard or any other material that is easy to cut, bend, and mark on to design the plate that will be mounted to your cradle. Below is a basic drawing of my plate.

[​IMG]

2. Make sure your design is exactly how you want it and then trace this onto your sheet of plastic. I used a silver Sharpie and then when cutting I knew I had to cut all the way to the inside edge of the line.

3. On your desktop cradle remove the rubber feet on the bottom (they get in the way of your new backer plate from sitting flush)

4. Use a vice and clamp the backer plate into it right at the fold line.

5. Use a small torch to slowly heat the plastic. Be sure to do this evenly across the whole piece and do not get it too hot.

6. Once the plastic has some play in it begin folding to the approximate angle of the cradle. Do your bend slowly while continuing to heat the fold line with the torch. Too fast and you will crack/tear the plastic.

7. Test fit the backer plate to the cradle. If the angle needs a large adjustment, do this in the vice. If the adjustment is minor CAREFULLY heat the bend while the backer plate is on the cradle and form it to the cradle.

8. Make sure you like the shape and fit of your piece and glue them together.

9. Glue the diamond plate mount to the back of the backer plate making sure to leave clearance for your charging cable.

[​IMG]

10. Let the glue/adhesive/epoxy cure and mount it all to your windshield.

You can see in my pictures that I have run a charging cable to my new mount and now the phone charges while I drive. I love this mount and have had no issues with it falling out. I intentionally drove down a seasonal road faster than I should have to see if I could knock it loose. The phone stayed put. Here is a picture of that road...

[​IMG]

2. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is kick- ass!! If I can ever get my hands on a charging cradle, I'm building one!

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums

3. cbreze

cbreze Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That is very cool and an awesome use of a cradle. And charges to! Nice!:icon_ banana:

4. ehaynes078

ehaynes078 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    very good idea, thanks for pics and write up

5. tonbon

tonbon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    once i find a cradle, i was going to use some velcro and just slap it on the dash. But that looks GOOD.:)

6. AirJunky

AirJunky Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

7. reh8388

reh8388 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I am very pleased with it. I have been playing with Tasker so that when I put it into the dock it automatically enables bluetooth and GPS, then launches Pandora and Navigation. I got it working but Tasker is a bit buggy at times.

Also just a heads up, I power the cradle using the standard wall plug seeing as I have an inverter hardwired into my car behind the interior panels and I had an open plug. I think I have seen on another thread that people have tested the cradle with the car charger, but I can't confirm that.

8. bullheaded82

bullheaded82 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw on another thread that using your car charger works just fine.

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums

9. ConqSoft

ConqSoft Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Nice! And if you are going into really rough terrain, a couple of rubber bands should hold it in place fine. :D

10. y0bailey

y0bailey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice work! I just use a generic "fits most phones" setup that is super easy and very secure, but charging doesn't work due to location of the "grabbers." Good news is that the audio is readily available to plug into my AUX input. Again though this is a much prettier slicker option.

For just remember to see the car charger thread to find the link to a charger that is confirmed to work if you decide to use your DC car plug to USB adapter. Needs to be a high output one that is rated for ipads/tablets.

11. reh8388

reh8388 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice, I have added bluetooth to the car so I didn't have to worry about the audio port. I only had two requirements for this mount:

1. Charge my phone easily without having to open one of the flaps.

2. Have the mount look good while still functioning.

12. zer0space1

zer0space1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great post! I don't know why Casio doesn't make a car kit/ handlebar mount for this phone. good work!

13. Numbchux

Numbchux New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found this thread shortly after buying my commando....and finally got around to building one.

Pretty much copied your design. The plastic sheets I had were less pliable, so I ended up cutting and gluing them together at an angle.

I did make one change. I'm into motorsports, and would like to use the camcorder function of the phone while in the mount.....so.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AirJunky

AirJunky Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice setup. Hope the motorsports your into isn't the kind that will bounce the phone out of the dock. :blink:

I made both a dash mount for my Chevy Avalanche (using a dock, similar to these) & a handlebar mount for my KLR650 dual sport bike (Using an Arkon mount, no power). In both cases I'd like to be able to use the GPS, phone & MP3 playback. All of those functions work fine. The problem is that the phone goes to sleep & is difficult to wake up in it's dock while your driving. And then you have to resetup the apps. I've tried using a couple different car dock apps with varying degrees of success. I'm wondering what others have used to get the car dock functionality the way they want it.

Car Mode Control ver 1.3 - Basically it's just 4 buttons, you choose what apps you want to be available, works in portait or landscape. Can use multiple pages too. Screensaver causes problems when it goes off.

Car Dashboard Pro ver 0.9.7.4 - 4 buttons you can choose what apps are available, plus it shows speed, max speed, altitude, heading & time. Really slick. But screensaver causes all kinds of problems. Plus you can set it up so it will enable/disable wifi, bluetooth or GPS when it starts. Would be great if that stupid GPS agreement didn't harrass you every time you enabled it.

It might be time to root the phone & find some way of disabling the screensaver/power save functionality. Obviously Casio never intended for the phone to be used in this way, which sucks, because it could easily be done if it was a bit more flexible.

Would also be cool to use as a tuner like Superchips new Vivid.

Heres a pic of the dash dock in the Avalanche. I decided I liked it down low so Johnny Law can't see me messing with it. No sense in putting it up high & drawing attention to it. You can see the Belkin Aircast Bluetooth device behind the cradle..... which suppies the USB power & Bluetooth connection to the stereo..... so no hard connections to the phone, just pop it in the cradle & go.
    commandodash.jpg

15. Numbchux

Numbchux New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Meh, we'll see. If it becomes a problem, I'll just add a rubber band or 2, as mentioned earlier.

Try UlyseeSpeedometer, Has a bunch of customizeable app buttons, and it'll keep the screen on when it's on.

I used the mount a lot on our way out to Sno*Drift last weekend. I had it located to make it as convenient as possible for use, so not ideal for picture taking. But, even so.....I took this picture of our rally car crossing the Mackinac bridge:
    [​IMG]

Search tags for this page
belkin aircast

casio commando

casio commando car cradle

casio commando car dock

casio commando car mount

casio commando cradle

casio commando desktop charger
casio commando mount
casio commando windshield mount
casio g'zone commando cradle