Ditching minutes plan and going data only

jirish

Reaction score
Recently, I have been using my minutes less and less and relying more on other forms of communication (Facebook, Gmail, Gmail Chat, messaging, Skype, etc.)

Has anyone tried cancelling their minutes plan and using their Droid with data only? Does Verizon even let us do this?

My main concern is around making voice calls. I know that I can make phone calls through Gmail, but with my Droid?

The motivation to do this is financial. I would cut my bill in half if I can figure out a viable VoIP option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would be really surprised if VZW let you have a phone and a data only plan

pugger

Reaction score
My neighbor has a data only plan with AT&T. But..he is also deaf. Had to produce medical proof.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I hear ya on the voice minutes.... I just dropped mine to the minimum per month... all we can do for now.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
VZW won't let you do that.

everstar80

Reaction score
Can't you drop to the lowest calling plan? It's forty bucks right? I understand having financial constraints. Call them and see what the minimum you are allowed to have. But I don't think they would let you not have a calling plan but still have a data plan. I hope things get better for you.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Has anyone tried cancelling their minutes plan and using their Droid with data only? Does Verizon even let us do this?

AFAIK....No, VZW has no reason to let you do this.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
You can you Google Talk on any phone I believe... I haven't really tried it to be honest, well I tried it, but I don't need it so :) And unless you're prepaid, which is actually available on the Droid X now, the you need a minutes plan, minimum is like 400 minutes.