ditching iP4...going to droid ?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Welcome Redwinger.
A month after I got my Motorola Droid the Incredible came out and I was feeling bad I didn't get the latest fastest thing. Then I read a review of the Incredible saying the reception was not as good as the Droid "which can get a signal inside a lead lined box".
Never tried the lead box bit, but the Droid does get a good signal. And the physical keyboard is a plus IMHO.

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Welcome Redwinger.
A month after I got my Motorola Droid the Incredible came out and I was feeling bad I didn't get the latest fastest thing. Then I read a review of the Incredible saying the reception was not as good as the Droid "which can get a signal inside a lead lined box".
Never tried the lead box bit, but the Droid does get a good signal. And the physical keyboard is a plus IMHO.

Yeah, I guess there's always going to be something better as soon as I buy one. Okay, just so I'm getting this straight. When people say "Droid" they mean motorola? Also, I didn't think the new X had a physical keyboard. I've never used a physical keyboard, just the onscreen which i love and am used to. Interesting you should give the "lead lined box" example. I work in radiology and am wondering if I'll be getting a signal since most of the walls are lead lined. with an iphone that's a big NO. My friend has a HTC droid eris and doesn't get a signal there either...but that's the ONLY place he doesn't. When does preordering start for the X?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome Redwinger.

Yeah, I guess there's always going to be something better as soon as I buy one. Okay, just so I'm getting this straight. When people say "Droid" they mean motorola? Also, I didn't think the new X had a physical keyboard. I've never used a physical keyboard, just the onscreen which i love and am used to. Interesting you should give the "lead lined box" example. I work in radiology and am wondering if I'll be getting a signal since most of the walls are lead lined. with an iphone that's a big NO. My friend has a HTC droid eris and doesn't get a signal there either...but that's the ONLY place he doesn't. When does preordering start for the X?
A lot of folks would argue motorola's build quality is a bit better than htc's lol, I think best buy re-opened pre orders for the X so you should be able to pre-order now.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

zMd113

Reaction score
Droid Incredible = iPhone except on Verison.
Droid X = ultimate multimedia machine.
The Incredible is very fast, sleek, small enough to fit in your pocket easily. I love mine very much!
The X is really big but has a beautiful screen to go with it, won't fit in your pocket as easy but just squeeze it in as much as you can, it's equally as fast, but doesn't have as good of user interface as the Incredible has with Sense.
So they're two totally different machines but they're both great choices it just depends on what you like.

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Root - gain SU (Superuser) access, ex. Admin powers. kind of like jailbreaking a iPhone
Froyo - newest Android OS (2.2)
ADB Shell/ADB - Part of the android SDK, it's pretty much the console (command prompt) of your android phone
ROM - A OS image that you flash onto your phone. These can be Stock, Modded, or "Optimized" versions of any Android OS...for your phone choice, it'd be Android 2.0+ ROMs. They are pretty much custom versions of the different android os's
SPRecovery - custom recovery image.. this allows you to install ROMs, make backups of your phone data (Nandroid)
Clockwork Mod - same as SPRecovery. If I remember correctly, it is a more simplified recovery image.

These are some of the terms you will see A LOT

Does rooting the phone void the warranty?

bje1982

Reaction score
Root - gain SU (Superuser) access, ex. Admin powers. kind of like jailbreaking a iPhone
Froyo - newest Android OS (2.2)
ADB Shell/ADB - Part of the android SDK, it's pretty much the console (command prompt) of your android phone
ROM - A OS image that you flash onto your phone. These can be Stock, Modded, or "Optimized" versions of any Android OS...for your phone choice, it'd be Android 2.0+ ROMs. They are pretty much custom versions of the different android os's
SPRecovery - custom recovery image.. this allows you to install ROMs, make backups of your phone data (Nandroid)
Clockwork Mod - same as SPRecovery. If I remember correctly, it is a more simplified recovery image.

These are some of the terms you will see A LOT

Does rooting the phone void the warranty?

Technically yes but dont worry the great devs have thought of everything for you and you can always revert back to stock.

Mule65

Reaction score
IMHO...

HTC has completely dropped the ball on INC delivery. It takes a month or more to get one. Screw that. Then there's battery life and signal issues for many. I say pass on INC.

I'd also say pass on Moto Droid if you don't plan on rooting it. It's a great gadget that has the best Developer support but it's no longer leading edge. No flaming intended.

Droid X will be a solid two-year phone. It's build quality is reportedly top notch and its processor and memory will get the job done. If it's too big or you just don't like it then the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S looks terrific. I'm torn between these two.

korp

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the droid world. well actually, I'm not there yet. Just returned my iphone 4 today and reverted back to my 3G until my contract is up next month. I'm definitely going to verizon because I'd like to be able to make PHONE CALLS again. LOL
Anyway, just trying to figure out if I should go with the HTC incredible or with the Moto X. I'm of the mind that HTC makes a sturdier phone, but haven't owned a motorolla before.

My main question is....is there a thread I can go to that can explain(very plainly) what all these droid terms mean? for example, root,froyo,etc. These are all foreign terms to me.

Also, I had 30 days to return my ip4 for a full refund and cancel my new contract. Is this how it is with verizon/droid phones?

Thanks in advance!

Yes Verizon has a 30 day return policy but charges a $35 restocking fee.
"Froyo" is Android 2.2 operating system.

"Root" is a term used for root access to your phone kind of like
"jailbreaking" an Iphone which gives you more customization and hacks to be applied.

As far as everything else there is a search feature on the main page and you always have google or this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/43671-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html maybe?

Edit: And by the way Im willing to put money on it that you wont be disapointed with switching to Android and the network that works!!! Or you could hold your phone different or get a case lol

Edit: If anything I personally would wait for the Droid X.. My Droid 1 has been amazing and Motorolas been around forever and know how to make a quality phone.
Yup ... the Incredible is very nice but they had trouble keeping up with the demand and are letting people switch to Motorola Droid X. The X has an insanely huge screen and a good processor so I would sway you to that but both are good.

OP
R

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
I can say that y'all have convinced me to wait for the X. It's gonna be a long two weeks. I'm driving my boyfriend nuts. First with the ip4, now this. I completely surprised him by returning the ip4...surprised myself. I can say I'm feeling pretty good now:)

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I can say that y'all have convinced me to wait for the X. It's gonna be a long two weeks. I'm driving my boyfriend nuts. First with the ip4, now this. I completely surprised him by returning the ip4...surprised myself. I can say I'm feeling pretty good now:)

Well welcome to the Android world then.
I will say the Droid X seems big, but all reviews say the hardware is top notch and no probably taking it in and out of pockets and holding it. Basically its a huge 4.3" screen phone, without the feel of a huge phone. Motorola makes great devices, so I think you'll be satisfied. :)

Trash Can

Reaction score
Anyway, never been to a Verizon/droid launch. Is it as busy?

I'm curious about this too. Everyone knows how much mileage Apple gets out of their new launches. Very little media attention for Droids, relatively speaking anyways.

I know it's an incredibly long wait for the HTC Incredible, but how was it when the Motorola Droid was launched? I have no need or desire to wait hours on end in order get the X on launch day, but I would hope that I could walk in a store within a week or so and get the new X if that's what I want. Am I dreaming? Not withstanding the Incredible, how have other launches gone?

Kineo

Reaction score
Welcome Redwinger.

regeneration we say droid we mean that moto droid yes. I got the drodroid about a month and a half after it came out so I got the updated keyboard with the purchase keys. I would recommend the motrola droid can because it is made of mostly metal and is stronger then the droid inc. Although if I were y ii wuld cope untill the DROIDPro.

korp

Reaction score
Anyway, never been to a Verizon/droid launch. Is it as busy?

I'm curious about this too. Everyone knows how much mileage Apple gets out of their new launches. Very little media attention for Droids, relatively speaking anyways.

I know it's an incredibly long wait for the HTC Incredible, but how was it when the Motorola Droid was launched? I have no need or desire to wait hours on end in order get the X on launch day, but I would hope that I could walk in a store within a week or so and get the new X if that's what I want. Am I dreaming? Not withstanding the Incredible, how have other launches gone?
Motorola Droid wasn't too bad and they received new shipments very quickly. The Incredible had problems because they couldn't keep up with the new demand for Android phones. I suspect the X release is going to be some hard work. People that ordered the Incredible have the option to switch to the X ... and Android is gaining more and and more steam so expect there to be lines.

thelion

Reaction score
Yep, a redwings fan for sure! Better luck next season right? I'm a little confused by the motorola droid and the X reference. Isn't the X a motorola?

I'll drop some knowledge on you :D

Droid = Moto Droid (launched in November 2009)
INC = Incredible (HTC)
Eris = HTC Eris
X = Moto Droid X launched July 15 (yay!)
Droid 2 = Moto Droid 2 launched...someday...maybe

I have to say, HTC has underwhelmed me with their Android phones. The INC is pretty but...meh.