Disrespectful Android Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

manosdvd

Reaction score
I don't know any of these devs personally so correct me I'm wrong here... but they do this for fun, a hobby. They get no tangible benefit besides the skills they're learning will aid them in finding a good career. I like Cyanogenmod, the work with others is commendable, and Peter Alfonso has single handedly expanded the life of my Droid 1. I commend, thank, and admire everyone who's been a part of those developments. Complaining about Devs not providing reliable support is like complaining about JK Rowling delaying a book or two in order to get married and have a baby. They have lives. As soon as you 1) start paying for their hard work and/or 2) compile your own rom from scratch do you have any business making demands from the ameteur developer. The rom community is rich and diverse. Don't like a rom or a developer? Switch to a different one. You are not owed anything. If anything YOU owe them! Get over yourselves.
A few more notes... Disrespectful people are to be expected on a web forum. Welcome to the internet. Ignore the trolls. In the end, the REAL android community is made up of my parents and coworkers who just like having a phone they can get on facebook with. Don't think for a second that the nerds on this site are representative of Android users...
Also... you guys seriously think that the hard work that goes into an app isn't worthy of pay or at the very least proceeds from ad? Sure if there's a free app that fits your needs or the paid is too expensive, and the ads in Angry Birds are just rage inducing... but you put your blood, sweat, and tear into a product for the next 3 months to a year and then give it away without any return for your investment and see how you feel then. Don't want to spend money on apps? Cool I respect your frugality, but don't complain when a fantastic life-improving app asks you for 99 cents.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know any of these devs personally so correct me I'm wrong here... but they do this for fun, a hobby. They get no tangible benefit besides the skills they're learning will aid them in finding a good career. I like Cyanogenmod, the work with others is commendable, and Peter Alfonso has single handedly expanded the life of my Droid 1. I commend, thank, and admire everyone who's been a part of those developments. Complaining about Devs not providing reliable support is like complaining about JK Rowling delaying a book or two in order to get married and have a baby. They have lives. As soon as you 1) start paying for their hard work and/or 2) compile your own rom from scratch do you have any business making demands from the ameteur developer. The rom community is rich and diverse. Don't like a rom or a developer? Switch to a different one. You are not owed anything. If anything YOU owe them! Get over yourselves.
A few more notes... Disrespectful people are to be expected on a web forum. Welcome to the internet. Ignore the trolls. In the end, the REAL android community is made up of my parents and coworkers who just like having a phone they can get on facebook with. Don't think for a second that the nerds on this site are representative of Android users...
Also... you guys seriously think that the hard work that goes into an app isn't worthy of pay or at the very least proceeds from ad? Sure if there's a free app that fits your needs or the paid is too expensive, and the ads in Angry Birds are just rage inducing... but you put your blood, sweat, and tear into a product for the next 3 months to a year and then give it away without any return for your investment and see how you feel then. Don't want to spend money on apps? Cool I respect your frugality, but don't complain when a fantastic life-improving app asks you for 99 cents.

I think you're missing the point. No one is expecting a dev to abandon his family and his schoolwork to work for free for them. Not sure why you even think that's what anyone is expecting. However, if you undertake the process of creating a ROM you have to provide support. Plain and simple. Saying that you don't have time to support the software you put out is a cop out. Don't do it if you don't have time to support it.

I think the hero worship on these forums needs to stop. Yes, the devs are great, and they do things that many people can't do. But they're not gods who are slaving all day to please their unappreciative fans. Gimme a break. They do it for fun, and if they didn't have these forums they'd still do it. It's not like they're saints who are here to serve us. There's no excuse for not providing support for your ROMs. It makes no sense to claim to work your butt off to provide for your users, and then disappear after you release a ROM. People need to stop giving devs these excuses.

Secondly, the money thing. You don't make money on android. That's just the truth. No app developer has ever made any appreciable amount on their apps in the android ecosystem. It's just the way it's set up, and it's not gonna change. And ROM developers are going to make even less. ROM developers should know this. If you go into ROM development you shouldn't get mad if you don't become an overnight millionaire. That's a silly thing to expect.

Like I said before, I don't pity a dev who gets all dramatic and leaves because people expect some support. This Matt guy, I don't know exactly what happened and his curse filled twitter post doesn't say much, but I think it's just overblown dramatics, and people are buying into it. Like this Matt guy is sitting at home saying "I have to help the Android community! I love them!! I am a civil servant for android!" Spare me. If you want to make a ROM, make it, and support it. If you're going to get upset and leave then maybe you're in the wrong area of development.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rovio nets more than $1,000,000 a month ;)

I think you're missing the point. No one is expecting a dev to abandon his family and his schoolwork to work for free for them. Not sure why you even think that's what anyone is expecting. However, if you undertake the process of creating a ROM you have to provide support. Plain and simple. Saying that you don't have time to support the software you put out is a cop out. Don't do it if you don't have time to support it.

I think the hero worship on these forums needs to stop. Yes, the devs are great, and they do things that many people can't do. But they're not gods who are slaving all day to please their unappreciative fans. Gimme a break. They do it for fun, and if they didn't have these forums they'd still do it. It's not like they're saints who are here to serve us. There's no excuse for not providing support for your ROMs. It makes no sense to claim to work your butt off to provide for your users, and then disappear after you release a ROM. People need to stop giving devs these excuses.

Secondly, the money thing. You don't make money on android. That's just the truth. No app developer has ever made any appreciable amount on their apps in the android ecosystem. It's just the way it's set up, and it's not gonna change. And ROM developers are going to make even less. ROM developers should know this. If you go into ROM development you shouldn't get mad if you don't become an overnight millionaire. That's a silly thing to expect.

Like I said before, I don't pity a dev who gets all dramatic and leaves because people expect some support. This Matt guy, I don't know exactly what happened and his curse filled twitter post doesn't say much, but I think it's just overblown dramatics, and people are buying into it. Like this Matt guy is sitting at home saying "I have to help the Android community! I love them!! I am a civil servant for android!" Spare me. If you want to make a ROM, make it, and support it. If you're going to get upset and leave then maybe you're in the wrong area of development.

DroidForums Junkie!!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rovio nets more than $1,000,000 a month ;)

DroidForums Junkie!!

Sorry, I meant to say no individual app developer makes any amount. Rovio already had an established fan base on ios and on top of that they're a company not an individual. They have the money to make money. You're never going to hear about a basement developer making millions on android, like you do on ios. Android makes it too easy to not allow that from ever happening.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suppose I will chime in here.

Since I got started in the ROM community, I've been surrounded by helpful and knowledgeable people. I won't name anyone (although I'm sure you can figure out who they are), but these people DO support their product.
Do you really think if you create a ROM you just put it out there and say hey figure out why this isn't working because I don't care? No, they have testers, which includes themselves and others. Obviously they have some things they just can't catch, some crazy app that just won't work, or a kernel that bootloops that they didn't test. Most of the dev's put a disclaimer on their ROM page. "Anything you do to your phone is not MY responsibility."
There is no possible way that everyone can test every aspect of their ROM. There are now 100,000 apps, and tens if not hundreds of kernels, plus the apps that are not on the market that people rip from other ROMs or Metamorph or Ninjamorph or BBQ or some other acronym.
Its just ridiculous to have a following as big as PA or Cyano, and then expect them to answer EVERY question posed to them on what...oh twitter, FB, DF, Phandroid, AndroidCentral, Android.net.....etc etc. How many MILLIONS of questions do you think that is?
Look at the Root D1 Regardless of OS thread for example, MotoCache1 is the master and he was helping with the questions for a while and he has since disappeared. You know why? I don't. But look at the support still given by people knowledgeable about the subject, FBM, teddyearp (who deserves a medal), myself, DD, etc etc. Anyone can help out. All you have to do is read a little about the problem and search for the solution.
It just really bothers me when you say "they do it for fun and not money," then in the same breath you say "well they don't support their product." Do you think I've supported the Root Thread because I like the money? I've never asked for anything, I just want people to root the right way so they can be more knowledgeable and help others when I'm not here anymore.

Dev's are gods to me, because I couldn't possibly make an AOSP ROM, nor would I claim to be able to or want to. I do enjoy testing and helping them out with issues that do arise.

Gritwater

Reaction score
I can't survive without teachers....cops.....firemen...doctors....etc

Devs I can live without.

Time to grasp reality here people....droid devices are luxury items and it is time to treat devs like their skill warrants. Unless one can create a rom that cures cancer....they get none of my support

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't survive without teachers....cops.....firefighters...doctors....etc

Devs I can live without.

Time to grasp reality here people....droid devices are luxury items and it is time to treat devs like their skill warrants. Unless one can create a rom that cures cancer....they get none of my support

Fixed for you. So they have no skills? Well you certainly won't impress anyone. If your phone network goes down I'm sure the technicians don't have the skills to fix it either.

Gritwater

Reaction score
Any highschool grad can learn how to fix my phone in a short time...
Hell I know hs dropouts who can do this stuff. I can't... I know this... i also cant fix my car...but all this talk like they deserve a ticker tape parade because they can make a phone look cool....pssshhh, nothing a 16 yo gamer couldn't do....therefore....no respect for anything more than a minimum waged skillset I haven't bothered to learn deserves

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suppose I will chime in here.

Since I got started in the ROM community, I've been surrounded by helpful and knowledgeable people. I won't name anyone (although I'm sure you can figure out who they are), but these people DO support their product.
Do you really think if you create a ROM you just put it out there and say hey figure out why this isn't working because I don't care? No, they have testers, which includes themselves and others. Obviously they have some things they just can't catch, some crazy app that just won't work, or a kernel that bootloops that they didn't test. Most of the dev's put a disclaimer on their ROM page. "Anything you do to your phone is not MY responsibility."
There is no possible way that everyone can test every aspect of their ROM. There are now 100,000 apps, and tens if not hundreds of kernels, plus the apps that are not on the market that people rip from other ROMs or Metamorph or Ninjamorph or BBQ or some other acronym.
Its just ridiculous to have a following as big as PA or Cyano, and then expect them to answer EVERY question posed to them on what...oh twitter, FB, DF, Phandroid, AndroidCentral, Android.net.....etc etc. How many MILLIONS of questions do you think that is?
Look at the Root D1 Regardless of OS thread for example, MotoCache1 is the master and he was helping with the questions for a while and he has since disappeared. You know why? I don't. But look at the support still given by people knowledgeable about the subject, FBM, teddyearp (who deserves a medal), myself, DD, etc etc. Anyone can help out. All you have to do is read a little about the problem and search for the solution.
It just really bothers me when you say "they do it for fun and not money," then in the same breath you say "well they don't support their product." Do you think I've supported the Root Thread because I like the money? I've never asked for anything, I just want people to root the right way so they can be more knowledgeable and help others when I'm not here anymore.

Dev's are gods to me, because I couldn't possibly make an AOSP ROM, nor would I claim to be able to or want to. I do enjoy testing and helping them out with issues that do arise.

Again, no one is expecting (I hope) that developers sit at their computers 24/7 wading through millions of questions on dozens of sites. That's ridiculous and shouldn't be expected.

But if you're doing it for fun, then you can't be mad if someone complains, and if you're doing it for money then you can't be mad if someone expects support. Yes, there are devs who support their ROMs as much as they can. And then there are devs who just release a ROM and expect people to grovel at their feet. Giving devs the right to do that is what causes the problem.

No one needs a dev, and no dev needs a user base (if they claim they're doing this for "fun"). The fact is if you create a ROM you have to expect people to ask questions, complain and expect some level of support. Putting up a disclaimer that says "This is not my responsibility" is fine, but then don't get mad if you don't get donations or if people complain about your ROM. That's like me releasing free software that makes your computer crash and say "I am not responsible for this" and then when the users complain saying "Forget this crap, I'm done with you unappreciative fools" Makes no sense. Stop with the dramatics, and either support your software or stop releasing it.

If a dev was actually just doing it for "fun", he'd realize that not everyone is going to like his work. Getting upset because your "fun" software made people's phones bootloop makes no sense. Why release it then if you're mentality is "This will work, and if it doesn't I don't care and now I'm quitting!!"?

I still believe that the complaints against this Matt person are because (a) he didn't provide sufficient support or (b) he was expecting to make money off this and when he realized he wouldn't he got upset. I am not buying that Matt is striving to serve his fans without reservation and is the martyr in all this. Both sides, dev and user, have to realize that this is free software and people are going to complain and some stuff just isn't going to work all the time. And NO ONE is going to make money.

And I ask again, does anyone actually know why he quit? I'm sure that would answer a lot of questions, and at the end you'll realize that it's just overblown dramatics from an upset dev.

Last edited:
OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't survive without teachers....cops.....firemen...doctors....etc

Devs I can live without.

You're right, they are luxury items, but if you're using their product, the least you can do is be thankful. You're just straight up hateful.

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Hell I know hs dropouts who can do this stuff. I can't... I know this... i also cant fix my car...but all this talk like they deserve a ticker tape parade because they can make a phone look cool....pssshhh, nothing a 16 yo gamer couldn't do....therefore....no respect for anything more than a minimum waged skillset I haven't bothered to learn deserves

Mother not hug you enough?

sent from my Liberty infused Droid 2

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want to say something to the people who aren't supporting the devs that make apps. I could give a rats behind about ROM's I don't use them and I never will.

However if you're using an app and not paying for it, either by using an ad blocker or obtaining it without paying for it then the only one you're hurting is yourself. If you want to have good apps, you're going to have to pay for them. That's why next to the App Store the Android Market doesn't compare. Everyone says, well look how long the App Store has been around and while there may be some truth to that, Apps in the App Store are not cheap. Angry birds is $4.99 (for iPad) and of course it's free with ads on the Market.

So if you truly want the good stuff, you're going to have to be willing to pay.

And one more thing I want to comment on. It's true about Android Fanboys being worst the Apple ones. You know why? Because some of you have got a big head because you have a customizable phone so you look at yourself as being the smart person and Apple people as dumb teenagers. The hostility of attacks on anyone who sides with Apple is astounding.

It all goes back to respect. Just be respectful to each other. If someone wants an Android product I say go for it. You want Apple, great. I use both so I see both sides.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

For the record, developers range from about 16-mid 30's. Some of them are full-time programmers, with a college education. I'm quite amused that you think it's so easy to learn programming. Programming, like English, French, or Italian, is it's own language. A complete language.

Minimum waged skillset... :lol: Programmers earn a very good living.

Gritwater

Reaction score
The skillset needed for developing apps soes not equal skillset to be in IT. Just because some do both doesn't mean the product for droid/iphone equates to the real world stuff.

Hookbill- u r wrong on the hurting yourself by not buying.... because as one dev burns out/feels taken advantage of/thinks he deserves to be paid more....another 16 kid takes his spot.

Cure cancer....i'll give you praise....bring peace to the middle east....same thing.... make angrybirds for droid....thanks, ill take it for free but I would survive without it and I don't feel obligated to support them with a donation. Truth is, if rovio doesn't make it, someone else will make a good alternative

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
T
Hookbill- u r wrong on the hurting yourself by not buying.... because as one dev burns out/feels taken advantage of/thinks he deserves to be paid more....another 16 kid takes his spot.

Not the ones who make the good apps. They others may quit from lack of profit but most of the good apps are made by companies and they are in it to make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.