Disney Is Ditching Netflix

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rougeone-jpg.77742

On Tuesday, Disney announced it is ending its partnership with Netflix in 2019, meaning its programming will be scrubbed from the service shortly thereafter. As a way to undercut the competition from its onetime ally, the company -- which owns ESPN, Marvel Entertainment, Lucas Film ltd., and Pixar, among sundry other holdings -- will start two of its own subscription streaming services that will ultimately compete with the standard bearer of online TV.

Get ready to add one more monthly subscription next year if you are a Disney fan!

Attachments

• rougeone.jpg
    rougeone.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 2,404

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I did not watch much disney so it will not be missed. I usually purchase marvel dvds so I will not miss anything or have to purchase a second subscription.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
ESPN's 30 for 30 series are pretty good, though I'm not sure how many are actually on Netflix. I figure I've watched the better ones already.

This may be the future of content, with it relatively easy for the big names to launch their own services. No doubt that is why Netflix (and Hulu) has begun creating original content.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
ESPN's 30 for 30 series are pretty good, though I'm not sure how many are actually on Netflix. I figure I've watched the better ones already.

This may be the future of content, with it relatively easy for the big names to launch their own services. No doubt that is why Netflix (and Hulu) has begun creating original content.

well, customers have been wanting al carte and view on demand for their tv viewing. unfortunately they are going to nickel and dime themselves to bankruptcy because it is not cheap and/or there are data caps. at least with disney, there still is two years to go on go on netfix.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Pure cash grab on Disney's part-hope they go out of business...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"So people decide they want to cut the cord and start streaming.... ok we will make each channel/package its own streaming service".

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"So people decide they want to cut the cord and start streaming.... ok we will make each channel/package its own streaming service".

And jack-up the price of internet service to make-up for lost cable revenues.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel like Disney is shooting themselves in the foot with this. I think they will find that people who already had Netflix won't pay what will presumably be double the fee for a Disney only streaming service.

For Disney to compete they will have to buy rights to all kinds of non Disney content. The sticky part will be keeping everything family friendly.

Will they bring the edgy Marvel shows to a service whose mainstay films are mostly G rated? Will they be willing to pay for HBO like original series "ie House of Cards, Orang is the New Black"? I think Disney has the resources to basically put Netflix out of business if they want to, but heck so does Amazon and that aint happening. Netflix has developed their brand and perfected streaming over the past 10 years. Disney is just getting started. Maybe in 10 years they will be able to eat in to Netflix's profits.

Maybe their goal is just to grab a fee from the uber Disney fans, and not to compete with Netflix.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Keep in Mind that its not Just Disney like the Disney Movies or Channel stuff items but as Previously Mentioned it will be Anything that the Parent Company Owns like ABC, A&E and So on. Now this would include TV Series that are on other Networks that are on Netflix since they are Essentially Disney. Netflix may need to try lowing their Sub to keep current Subscribers especially the ones that do use Netflix for Kids happy and not want to completely ditch them.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There are, what 4-5 major content providers?

I have no idea what Disney would charge, but if it was just $4-$5 per subscriber that's probably like 10X what they get from Netflix.

Like I said, this is entirely predictable and Disney probably won't be the last to leave Netflix. Or, more likely, they'll have their own premium service for newer content that won't be available on Netflix for a few years.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I subscribe to iptv that includes about 140 channels, out of those about 40 of them English language channels like discovery, history, BBC, Disney, MTV, vh1, CN, nickelodeon, animal planet, travel, Disney junior, vh1 classic, MTV music videos, E, tlc, national geographic, eurosport 1, 2, 3, euro news, discovery science and bunch of others. Most channels are in HD. The kicker is I pay $20 a month! For everything else there is HD TV over the air.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. At least I'll be able to watch Spider-Man Homecoming and Guardians 2 again by then

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I subscribe to iptv that includes about 140 channels, out of those about 40 of them English language channels like discovery, history, BBC, Disney, MTV, vh1, CN, nickelodeon, animal planet, travel, Disney junior, vh1 classic, MTV music videos, E, tlc, national geographic, eurosport 1, 2, 3, euro news, discovery science and bunch of others. Most channels are in HD. The kicker is I pay $20 a month! For everything else there is HD TV over the air.

Wow very cool! Does it have TruTV and Comedy Central, out of curiosity?

I had a special 1-year "new resident" bundle that got me cable and internet very cheap, but it's about to run out. This might be a great solution for me if it ends up cheaper to only have internet :)

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
Don't forget CBS all-access, Disney is just the latest in the long line of "streaming services" it's just he signs of the times. Reminds me of when all telephone companies were AT&T then they were broken up into individual companies and now they are slowly merging back into one.