Dislikes about the phone?

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Any dislikes? So far for me about the only dislike is the notification LED just isn't very bright. Tried apps to change the color but that doesn't help any. How about you?

NewT0Droid

Reaction score
The CAMERA is awful. This is my first smartphone... but the camera app is sluggish and quality - IMHO - is poor - at least for indoors. Outdoor pics seem okay.

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Well no cell phone I've had is good in low light conditions so I expected that. Might be a bit slow taking a pic, but you get used to that. It could be faster, yes I agree. Coming from the Droid X this about the same.
One thing you have to get used to is using the flash or not. Many times trying to use the flash just makes the photo darker unless your subject is less than 10 feet away. But that is for nearly any camera. I just love seeing people trying to take a flash picture in a huge stadium at night. Uh....

Last edited:

Nyguy7

Reaction score
The things i dont like about it are
1# Touch screen is not very responsive, especially compared to my previous smartphones..
2# Call signal strength is very weak compared to other motorola phones. Definitely drops more calls than my htc evo3d did..
3# Not a true 4.3" screen, more like 4" screen of usable screen space.

Spey

Reaction score
The things i dont like about it are
1# Touch screen is not very responsive, especially compared to my previous smartphones..
2# Call signal strength is very weak compared to other motorola phones. Definitely drops more calls than my htc evo3d did..
3# Not a true 4.3" screen, more like 4" screen of usable screen space.

#1 Touch Screen
Wish I could adjust the sensitivity down. Seems like very low screen pressure on mine (w/ invisi-SHIELD screen protector).
Nyguy7, are you running a screen protector? If so, what brand/model.
#2 Call Strength
My Razr M is similar to previous phones in the same area (Droid X2 & Thunderbolt), but questionalby less than newer phones (at least with regard to signal stregth "reported" by device software). It's arguable how valid this type of comparison is. In general, I would say Signal Strength is a weakness in this compact package and that this device is more suited to city and suburban use and less suited the further out you get from metro-areas.
#3 Not True 4.3" Screen
Well, in app's where I feel I need/want full-screen (like movie playback, etc.), it's a full 4.3" display, along with a sexy narrow bezel). When I need access to the Menu Keys, yes they do reduce the display down to about 4". I do however like the layout provisioning here, especially the fact that the Menu Keys are not locked to one location (they flip left to right as needed, based on device orientation). The ability to watch a video 4.3"-diag display on a device that measures approx 4-3/4" long is in my mind good size value. List for me any device capable of 4.3" movie playback in such a compact overall size, otherwise I think anyone that complains screen is too small should be looking at next form-factor size (like the Razr or the Razr Maxx, etc.).

Camera
I think is actually pretty good. I like the fact that you can opt to "crop" initial image capture to widescreen format (the phones native 4.3" diag. screens aspect ratio at 6MP), or capture in standard format at 8MP. Also, like the fact that the factory O/S has built-in HDR option for taking High Dynamic Range photos in the field (provided you understand when & where this is potentially beneficial, it's a huge asset). Built-in Pano-option is also nice feature, including the fact that it natively allows capture in both horizontal and vertical orientations (unlike many devices that only allow one orientation for initial capture).

Factory LED Notification
I think the brightness is actually ok. At first I was having a hard with the Notification LED. Turn out the problem was me - differentiating between Green & Blue Notification Indicators. Once I realized there are a number of different LED Notification Colors (four at least), I actually started appreciating the factory provisioning a bit more. Info on various colors at this link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-m/231180-notification-light-led-color.html

Sorry, more like a defensive post vs. what the OP asked for.

Things I do not like:
1) Power Key right next to Volume Up/Down. Should be more separation or definition between (easy to hit the power key when adjusting volume in-call), but have found some cases really help the issue like the Qmadix).
2) Phone is Too Thin (until you put a case on it, then it's just right).
3) Would be nice to have dedicated HDMI cable support (with power - maybe there's a Y-Combo-Cable ...?), but assume this to be a space issue in compact design of the Razr M. Considering DLNA playback, works so easily, to larger-scree and many other options like gMote, etc., I suppose this is not really an issue.
4) Occasionally, when typing in horizontal orientation it's difficult to locate where your input is going. I would suppose this is not so much related to "this" device as it is to any/all devices with only on-screen-keyboards. Solution seems to be to just use the voice-input and forget the keyboard (voice to text really does work pretty darn good on this device anyway - just that sometimes environment is not conducive and must rely back to touch-type and/or Swype input).

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
No problems with mine with screen sensitivity with or without a screen protector.
Come to almost like the power button where it is. Didn't like it at first but found out its nice when I wedge it in the location where I put it when using Navigation and the power button doesn't get hit like it did on my DroidX(on top)

Spey

Reaction score
No problems with mine with screen sensitivity with or without a screen protector.
Come to almost like the power button where it is. Didn't like it at first but found out its nice when I wedge it in the location where I put it when using Navigation and the power button doesn't get hit like it did on my DroidX(on top)

bigbadwulf,
What do you mean by this?
Come to almost like the power button where it is. Didn't like it at first but found out its nice when I wedge it in the location where I put it ...

OP
B

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
I'd push my Droid x into a spot in the car where the power button would get hit. That doesn't happen with the M because the button is on the side.

Nyguy7

Reaction score
#1 Touch Screen
Wish I could adjust the sensitivity down. Seems like very low screen pressure on mine (w/ invisi-SHIELD screen protector).
Nyguy7, are you running a screen protector? If so, what brand/model.

Yes I am.. The brand is called "Fosmon" It was under $3. Fits well, does not require water to install, and does not seem to reduce screen clarity..

Spey

Reaction score
Yes I am.. The brand is called "Fosmon" It was under $3. Fits well, does not require water to install, and does not seem to reduce screen clarity..

Nyguy7,
I think the "Fosmon" screen protectors are the relatively stiff plastic protectors. This may be reducing the screen sensitivity on your device ...? Possibly a softer plastic protector might bring up the sensitivity more to your liking (based on your #1 complaint related to screen). The Zagg is fairly soft, and provides lot of sensitivity on one of the Razr M's I have.

Just a thought ...

Nyguy7

Reaction score
Nyguy7,
I think the "Fosmon" screen protectors are the relatively stiff plastic protectors. This may be reducing the screen sensitivity on your device ...? Possibly a softer plastic protector might bring up the sensitivity more to your liking (based on your #1 complaint related to screen). The Zagg is fairly soft, and provides lot of sensitivity on one of the Razr M's I have.

Just a thought ...

You might be right about that.. But I would NEVER use a zagg. It may be soft, but the "orange peel" texture they have, plus the way they feel "sticky"
to the touch, in my mind makes that thee worst screen protector you can buy..(Especially for that amount of money).. If you want the best, get a steinheil,
they have the best feel, are super light, and u cant even tell that they are on. The only reason i didnt buy that, was they didnt make one for the M at the time. I'm not sure if they even make one as of yet for it.. Plus, you dont need to soak your phone in water to install it,, like the zagg..

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I like halo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Spey

Reaction score
You might be right about that.. But I would NEVER use a zagg. It may be soft, but the "orange peel" texture they have, plus the way they feel "sticky"
to the touch, in my mind makes that thee worst screen protector you can buy..(Especially for that amount of money).. If you want the best, get a steinheil,
they have the best feel, are super light, and u cant even tell that they are on. The only reason i didnt buy that, was they didnt make one for the M at the time. I'm not sure if they even make one as of yet for it.. Plus, you dont need to soak your phone in water to install it,, like the zagg..

I agree with you on the Zagg (sticky & orange peel ...). However, I "lived" through a day with the Zagg (almost took if off the same day of install), and by the end of the day the "stickiness" was gone and silky smooth. The "orange peel", I learned, is only an issue when the phone screen is off.

I may give the steinheil in matte finish a try next - thanks.