Dishpointer Pro - Augmented Reality TV Satellite Finder app now in Market

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Just got a notice about this from SatelliteGuys.us ... BUT, since this is aimed at the Pro Satellite TV installers it ain't cheap...

" DishPointer Pro has been released for Android phones today. Check out the Android Market - it costs about $20 or 15 british pounds... "

Here is a YouTube vid of it on an iPhone. Cool stuff, but at $20 it is not a "toy" app.

[video=youtube;5AFtcgYRcu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFtcgYRcu4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

rlandon

Reaction score
Cool app, but you're right the $20 would be the most expensive app on my Droid. I could use it!

Zippster

Reaction score
Gave up installing years ago when the prices continued to drop and what they included as a "stock" install went way up. Would have been a neat app to have back in the day, but my inclometer and birddog meter did just fine.

Abram

Reaction score
Careful buying from this guy. He's the same person that tried to get a better competing application (DishLoc) removed from the iPhone app store by falsely claiming infringement. You can find that story on osnews somewhere, or I believe its on the dishloc developers blog.

Now if only DishLoc would come to the Droid, but I hear the developer has something even better up his sleeve.

rican408

Reaction score
Im an installer. While the inclinometer works. This app is AWSOME. Not 20 buks awsome tho :(

Abram

Reaction score
Maybe try contacting the DishLoc guys and see if they'll have anything out for the droid soon...

Freefall_Doug

Reaction score
Something like this showing the path of the sun on a given day would be awesome for evaluating passive solar energy setups.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Careful buying from this guy. He's the same person that tried to get a better competing application (DishLoc) removed from the iPhone app store by falsely claiming infringement. You can find that story on osnews somewhere, or I believe its on the dishloc developers blog.

Now if only DishLoc would come to the Droid, but I hear the developer has something even better up his sleeve.

I wouldn't jump so fast to warn people about "this guy", DishPointer has ben around a long time supplying FREE dishpointing to the pros(and amateurs) to the Satellite TV industry on their website www.dishpointer.com for a long time and is a well respected outfit.

They are not some guy in his mom's basement copying code/ideas from someone else. Not impying this about DishLoc or saying this is what happened (just an example of what does happen), but if DishPointer went after someone as you say I feel confident there was a good reason.

Regardless of the issue just because there may or may not be Intellectual Rights issues with someone doesn't mean they should be "warned about" to consumers.

That being said, the more programs we have like this for the Droid the better, I like competition, as long as it is honorable (not saying it isn't or not). At the moment DishPointer is the only one that has stepped up (and quickly at that) and made such an app for the Droid. For that reason alone they deserve our respect or at a minumum our encourgement.

Just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with them, just someone who has been using their free VERY helpful services for years.

Last edited:

Abram

Reaction score
Well, read the article on osnews, and decide for yourself:

How Apple Handles App Store Infringement Complaints: Badly

You praise them for being the only dish pointing application on the Droid, but perhaps there are no competing applications because of the way they try to stifle competition? I don't deal with companies that make false (and from the article, they were indeed false) infringement claims to shut down competition. Whether they've been in business for a while or provide another service is irrelevant.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Well, read the article on osnews, and decide for yourself:

How Apple Handles App Store Infringement Complaints: Badly

You praise them for being the only dish pointing application on the Droid, but perhaps there are no competing applications because of the way they try to stifle competition? I don't deal with companies that make false (and from the article, they were indeed false) infringement claims to shut down competition. Whether they've been in business for a while or provide another service is irrelevant.

Only the 2 parties involved know the real truth, and the last time I checked an "article" was usually the last place to get the real truth of any dispute :)

I do know for sure the Dishpointer has been supplying their interactive service online for a long time, even before there was an iPhone. So, after all the hard work they did setting that up and writing the code for interactive Dish alignment I wouldn't blame them for going after "supposed copycats", I would do the same.

In the end those type of situations are between the parties involved and IMHO opinion does not warant "warning about doing business with those guys"

It is kind of ironic how everyone here is dying for Google to add Pinch and Zoom to the Droid. BUT if they do, when the ensuing "poop storm" hits bewteen Apple and Google, do you thing it will be fair to "warn people" not to do business with Google or Apple because of their dispute?? Will you stop using your Droid because of it.. I think not.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Abram,

I also find it ironic that you just joined the Forums here just to sling this mud at DishPointer with your first 3 posts...HMMMM maybe you are the DishLoc guy and hiding behind this new username???? If so, you are showing your true ethics loud and clear, if I am wrong then you have my apology.

If it smells like a troll...........

Abram

Reaction score
Abram,

I also find it ironic that you just joined the Forums here just to sling this mud at DishPointer with your first 3 posts...HMMMM maybe you are the DishLoc guy and hiding behind this new username???? If so, you are showing your true ethics loud and clear, if I am wrong then you have my apology.

If it smells like a troll...........

LOL. I was just going to say the same thing about you! Are you sure you're not the dishpointer app guy?

No, I admit I did try the dishpointer app on the iphone, and wasn't impressed (and promptly got a refund). When the dishloc app came out a couple weeks later (impressive coding if they copied the idea!) I was hesitant since it was about the same price, and I didn't think apple would refund my money again if it turned out to be low quality as well. When I read about the infringement complaint on osnews, (and they've always seemed fair and honest to me, ymmv) I decided to throw my support behind dishloc. (Honestly, it does pack more features into a cheaper app...)

I recently decided to buy a Droid (the iPhone is now my wife's) and have been 'trolling' here for a while. This is the first discussion I've felt strongly enough to comment on. I really do hope dishloc comes to the Droid, but there's no talk about it on the blog.

I accept your apology. :)

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Abram,

Too funny, I just got a PM telling about the "Warning" posts just like yours being posted on 3 or more other Forums as a BRAND new USER.... interesting.

Does dbstalk, freesatfix and technabob forums sound familiar?

Very classy..

Wonder what an IP check would show ?

I'm done with you, take your sour grapes elsewhere.

Last edited: