Discussion: Will Google's gamble on hardware pay off?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
io17-social-1200x630-indigo.png

We are a day away from the start of Google I/O 2017, where we look to see the directive that Google has planned going forward.

Last year Google pushed to compete with Apple and Samsung with the pixel, take on the Amazon echo with Home, and push forward VR with Daydream. We can debate the success of those projects but they still have ways to go to unseat the competition.

The question is will they continue to invest the money and resources to actually try and compete or are they still playing the game of just settling in "influencing" the market and their partners?

And will we ever see Google transcend the competition?

Source: Google has discovered hardware is, well, hard

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's kind of scary to think about what Google could do if they just focused on taking over... Seriously, maybe Google not knowing what they want is a good thing for competition, just knowing that they are doing something is probably enough to influence the market. Imagine if they truly unseated the competition. They tend to drop things too easily and arbitrarily change things because they want to.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
It always seems , to me..., that Google has big intentions and great ideas but they never make it there. They always drop the ball or go the wrong direction at the last moment. Like Hangouts for example.... it has the potential to be just as great as iMessage but Google just won't take that final step. I honestly don not see Google bumping any competitor until they actually finish what they intend to do.

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It always seems , to me..., that Google has big intentions and great ideas but they never make it there. They always drop the ball or go the wrong direction at the last moment. Like Hangouts for example.... it has the potential to be just as great as iMessage but Google just won't take that final step. I honestly don not see Google bumping any competitor until they actually finish what they intend to do.

For everything they've started and stopped, there are 2 or 3 they've taken over the goal line. Android. Photos. Music. Etc. I think this is an unfair characterization.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
For everything they've started and stopped, there are 2 or 3 they've taken over the goal line. Android. Photos. Music. Etc. I think this is an unfair characterization.

It's just my opinion...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think if you go over the list of things Google has started and stopped your be surprised.

There's so many things Google has done that I didn't even know existed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Google has created a lot of ventures over the years. Now some products get incorporated into another project. But you are right they have completed quite a bit of projects that are still going strong.

Last edited: