Discussion: Is LTE 4G really worth it on tiered pricing?

OP
K

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
You all are missing the point to the discussion....

Im not asking is the speed worth it... I know faster is better... What I am asking is is faster better when you can only go so far before being slowed down or chagred more?

Analagy:

You can now drive safely at 200 MPH on your local freeway for 30 bucks a month.... but you can only go 20 miles before we start charing you .15cents extra per mile....

Especially when you need to drive (or would like to drive as much as you need to or want to.

Snow02

Reaction score
Faster is always better. Period. If I'm on tiered data, I'd just watch my usage - whether on 4G or 3G. Just because I can download more quickly doesn't mean I have to use more data.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Faster is always better. Period. If I'm on tiered data, I'd just watch my usage - whether on 4G or 3G. Just because I can download more quickly doesn't mean I have to use more data.

Except, with higher speeds websites will be setting up higher definition vids, cause hey, they look better. And more graphic intensive interactions etc. Imo, with higher speeds everyone will be fed more data for the same stuff because it looks better.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jseah

Reaction score
You all are missing the point to the discussion....

Im not asking is the speed worth it... I know faster is better... What I am asking is is faster better when you can only go so far before being slowed down or chagred more?

Analagy:

You can now drive safely at 200 MPH on your local freeway for 30 bucks a month.... but you can only go 20 miles before we start charing you .15cents extra per mile....

Especially when you need to drive (or would like to drive as much as you need to or want to.

FYI, currently if you have a 4G phone with Verizon and you add the wireless hotspot option, they charge you $30 a month, but it is unlimited. No data caps.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Completely subjective (as "better" and "worth" always are) but I'd say yes. It's not like using 3G (or less) eliminates the tiers. In the end, it comes down to each person determining whether it makes sense for that person's given situation.

Analagy:

No need for a poor analogy like this. Driving faster already costs more: fuel, maintenance, countermeasures, attorney, etc.

Except, with higher speeds websites will be setting up higher definition vids, cause hey, they look better. And more graphic intensive interactions etc.
They already do. The web has never been restricted by wireless data speeds.

darkmatter

Reaction score
But they do have wireless redirects to less data intensive sites. I expect that to go away as download speeds increase.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk