Discussion: Is LTE 4G really worth it on tiered pricing?

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
Just as the title asks: Is LTE 4G really worth it on tiered pricing?

What's the point of having home cable internet speeds in your hands, if you have to pay for going over 2GB, or whatever your limit is?

Just curious what you guys think..

Thanks...

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Yes, in my opinion, but I have unlimited anyway.
Just use wifi whenever possible.

In my case, my Home internet gets 15mbps, while my 4G gets 8mbps, so Id use it all the time. (I just tested it, since I dont have a 4G phone)

But does 4G use you data faster than 3G?

OP
K

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
I have unlimited too... Im just curious for down the road... I personally think that faster speeds are great but if they staret limiting how much you can get in a month, that will hinder adoption. ATT is doing the same thing with their U-Verse setup, and im sure comcast is doing it... I find it distasteful. They see their cable tv revenue slipping so they try to get it out of you by charging you for internet use.. I think thats bull...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stay under 2 gigs.... and I'm on 3G

CM74DX

nikecar

Reaction score
Yes, in my opinion, but I have unlimited anyway.
Just use wifi whenever possible.

In my case, my Home internet gets 15mbps, while my 4G gets 8mbps, so Id use it all the time. (I just tested it, since I dont have a 4G phone)

But does 4G use you data faster than 3G?

How can you test 4g if you say you don't have 4g?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
K

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
i had the charge and the tbolt... the 4g was not impressive except for benchmarks.

steve602888

Reaction score
Screenshot app doesn't work? And help pls just routed phone email smbrookes1982@Gmail. Com

Sent from my MB860 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
4G LTE is a bit overrated. It is better than 3g by a long shot, but it's only important in very select situations. Most of the time, it's just not necessary. I tried thinking of times where I would need 4g LTE and I couldn't think of any. All the sites I go to load in 2-3 seconds, I don't download movies or stream and I download all my music to my computer, then to my device, so it's not helpful there either. Seems like you'll only benefit if you do a lot of video streaming, which I find a little ridiculous. I stopped using Netflix on my 50'' because of the lack of selection, I highly doubt I'll be using it anytime soon on my 4.3'' phone. Obviously that's just my opinion, but I think anyone can agree that the benefits of 4G LTE are amazing when it's useful, sadly it's just not useful very often. That's not to say it won't be useful later on.

Chharith

Reaction score
If you were a Verizon customer before July 2011 then you still have unlimited data. I upgraded my DX for the Charge, and the speed is amazing especially after a Rom. I put my X on a second line, so it does not have unlimited data, even with all the tweaks the X is slower than my DC. I just wish I would have added the second line before July 7 2011.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Chharith

Reaction score
Using my droid charge, I did a speed test at speedtest.org. It really is not that impressive. I don't know how some people are getting 20mbs.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313294952262.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1313294952262.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 369

steve602888

Reaction score
Ive rooted my phone what does it do now do u get paid apps for free like jailbreakin iphone?

Sent from my MB860 using DroidForums

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
10.6mbps not that impressive on a phone?? What more do you want???

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
For me, I'm less interested in the speeds of 4g than the range. I work in the desert, miles from nothing. I get 3g for the most part, but that 3g is very slow and spotty. To my understanding, 4g has a longer range, thus with 4g, the data coverage where I work would be better. (If I'm right about range)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Using my droid charge, I did a speed test at speedtest.org. It really is not that impressive. I don't know how some people are getting 20mbs.

Its all relative to how many connections are going through any given tower and proximity to it. I generally get 10-11mbps on my 4g and Im plenty happy with that compared to 1.5mpbs with 3g.

Attachments

• SC20110814-050400.png
    SC20110814-050400.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 224