[Discussion] Has HTC just given up, or am I being harsh?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
htc-one-m9-vs-one-m8-vs-one-m7.jpg

Say what you will about Samsung, that they copy Apple, Touchwiz, they spend too much on marketing, but one thing is they are not afraid to take risks. No, they were not the first to create the large phone as Dell took a shot at it and failed a few years prior, but they reimagined the large phone in a way that was useful for the customer.

The Note phone has quickly become one of the favorites causing even Apple to rethink their approach about large phones. After looking at the M9 I feel like the device is uninspired. It is as if HTC just mailed this device in. Yes there are some subtle changes and the M9 performs better in the gaming department, but it is hard pressed to imagine a customer feeling the need to choose the M9 over the M8. In fact there are reports that the M8 takes better pictures and capture better videos than the M9 though the M9 takes better selfies.

If I was in the market for the M9 I would just buy the M8 and save money, though I would (probably) not buy either on contract. What Samsung has done with the s6 edge is awesome and inspired. This is the Samsung that we have come to love. Despite criticism about the usefulness of the edge (I must admit I unloaded on them when I first saw renders of it) they stuck to their guns of desiring to bring something different to the market. I can not stop raving about the s6 edge because it not only stands out from the pack but changes how we view phones. The edge is the only Samsung device I can see myself owning since the Note II. With HTC trying to remain relevant I feel like their research department is either lacking or out of ideas.

It looks as if HTC is timid and playing it safe versus trying to win the Spring or year. And if you play not to lose most of the time you will end up losing. Am I being too harsh on HTC or does anyone else feel the same way, like HTC is not even trying anymore?
You can find reviews of the edge and the M9 via Youtube, some of them I will post below.

Last edited by a moderator:

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
well...looks like it is HTC's turn to bring something unique and new to the table...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To show how uninspiring HTC has been I changed the photo in the OP. You will see the M9, M8, and M7. Here is a game, guess which is which.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
htc-one-m9-vs-one-m8-vs-one-m7.jpg

Say what you will about Samsung, that they copy Apple, Touchwiz, they spend too much on marketing, but one thing is they are not afraid to take risks. No, they were not the first to create the large phone as Dell took a shot at it and failed a few years prior, but they reimagined the large phone in a way that was useful for the customer. The Note phone has quickly become one of the favorites causing even Apple to rethink their approach about large phones. After looking at the M9 I feel like the device is uninspired. It is as if HTC just mailed this device in. Yes there are some subtle changes and the M9 performs better in the gaming department, but it is hard pressed to imagine a customer feeling the need to choose the M9 over the M8. In fact there are reports that the M8 takes better pictures and capture better videos than the M9 though the M9 takes better selfies. If I was in the market for the M9 I would just buy the M8 and save money, though I would (probably) not buy either on contract. What Samsung has done with the s6 edge is awesome and inspired. This is the Samsung that we have come to love. Despite criticism about the usefulness of the edge (I must admit I unloaded on them when I first saw renders of it) they stuck to their guns of inspiring to bring something different to the market. I can not stop raving about the s6 edge because it not only stands out from the pack but changes how we view phones. The edge is the only Samsung device I can see myself owning since the Note II. With HTC trying to remain relevant I feel like their research department is either lacking or out of ideas. It looks as if HTC is timid and playing it safe versus trying to win the Spring or year. And if you play not to lose most of the time you will end up losing. Am I being too harsh on HTC or do anyone else feel the same way like HTC is not even trying anymore?
You can find reviews of the edge and the M9 via Youtube, some of them I will post below.
The thing with Samsung and taking risks is because they have the pockets to do so "which helps in advertising and R&D", on the other hand HTC is a small company compared to Samsung, HTC only does phones as Samsung is a behemoth with a much larger portfolio, from industrial equipment, chip development and fabrication processes, home appliances, home electronics, pharmaceuticals, and the list goes on. Even though Samsung did not make the money last year that was projected by analysts, they made more in one year than HTC has made in years. I wish HTC all the best, but they screwed the pooch and have no one but themselves to blame. My first Android phone was the HTC Incredible, then the Rezound, then it started going downhill from there, well at least for me.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The OP makes me think about the exact same discussion we had with the M7 & M8 back when the M8 was released.

(And I certainly wouldn't call HTC a "small" company. They are plenty big to make necessary changes and still make a profit, all while converting fans from one manufacturer to another)

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The OP makes me think about the exact same discussion we had with the M7 & M8 back when the M8 was released.

S5 tap'n

Poor HTC. Reminds me of the old Transformer toys where all they did was change the paint.
tumblr_luexs7KNro1r1xri8o1_1280.jpg

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

(And I certainly wouldn't call HTC a "small" company. They are plenty big to make necessary changes and still make a profit, all while converting fans from one manufacturer to another)

S5 tap'n
Compared to Samsung, they are.

hkwise01

Reaction score
Every HTC I've had seemed to be a upgrade. 8125, Fuze, Incredible, Rezound, DNA, m8. They've found a design that works and is profitable with the one series. I think they should have waited to implement the changes that the e9+ brought to really make it a game changer.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Are you going to compare every company's "innovation" around Samsung's Edge design?

I seem to remember the Galaxy S4 not selling for crap because it was such a small step up from the S3. I don't see how this is news or relevant to anything. At the expense of sounding like a jerk, and I apologize in advance if I'm overstepping my bounds as a regular member of the site, but I think you're fanboying just a little too hard at the moment.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Compared to Samsung, they are.
Everyone compared to Samsung is, aside from Apple. That doesn't mean they aren't large enough to do whatever they want in terms of innovation, advertising, R & D, etc. HTC is a pretty large company in the grand scheme of things.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you going to compare every company's "innovation" around Samsung's Edge design?

I seem to remember the Galaxy S4 not selling for crap because it was such a small step up from the S3. I don't see how this is news or relevant to anything. At the expense of sounding like a jerk, and I apologize in advance if I'm overstepping my bounds as a regular member of the site, but I think you're fanboying just a little too hard at the moment.

All comments are welcomed, that was why I asked "am I being harsh". So feel free to disagree.

Personally I have gravitated away from Samsung and actually been very critical of them. I felt like last year with the s5 that they just made minor adjustments over the s4 and kicked it out. So me commending them on the s6 edge is just me being wowed that they took a chance. I feel like HTC just have so much potential I mean this is the same company that made awesome devices like the Nexus one, Droid Incredible, HTC Hero, and the Evo. So HTC I feel has the potential to innovate. I understand HTC wanting to play it safe and maybe keeping a device that they make minor adjustments with but 3 years of the exact same device seems uninspired in my opinion. LG, Sony, even Motorola all made some changes along the the 3 year period. As a customer when I go into a store why should I buy your phone. Carrier stores are going to display the M9 next to the M8 and as a customer I will just save the money and grab the M8 as you can barely tell the difference especially once I put a case on it.

Again @Vepaot , thanks for the post. I respect and love your opinion and anyone who makes a good post regardless whether they agree with me or not.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
With HTC bringing 2 additional phones to the market this month, I'm hoping they gain some market share.
HTC makes awesome products. Hopefully, their new management team will guide them back to the top.