[Discussion] Do we need a kill switch?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Mar 3, 2014.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,904

[​IMG]

There is legislation in discussion to force smartphone companies to install a kill switch in case of theft.

What is your opinion?

Personally, though I understand the concern of people that are for it, I have to say I am divided in how I feel about the move. On one hand we use our phones to do everything and it contain our lives within it so I would understand why someone would want the extra step in place to protect that information. With that said there are apps and encryption technology already out that will protect your information. I do not think it is necessary to force a smartphone company to put a switch in a device because there are already means to protect your phone via lock screen, reporting it stolen to prevent someone from using it, and remotely wipe the device with protection apps. I think we would be better suited to teach people how to use those features vs have the government demand a company do something we can do ourselves.

Am I saying there is no need for one.... no, but why not allow that to be up to the manufacturer plus how do you implement that? If you make it a switch on the device itself then what happens when someone's kid accidentally push it while playing a children's game. If you make it via software then how would that be different from what we have now? And it by dialing a number then why not make it where that number will deactivate the phone from the network. Am I missing a scenario where the kill switch is needed?

#1 pc747, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Sure, as long as there is strict laws in place that says unless I report my phone stolen it can be deactivated. If you miss a bill, they shouldn't be able to deactivate it. If you committed a crime, it shouldn't be deactivated. If you and your significant other break up, you shouldn't be able to report the other person's phone as stolen to screw with them, the owner of the phone (not the account) needs to report it stolen. I see so many ways this power​ can be abused for the wrong reasons.

3. livinginkaos

livinginkaos Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Your vehicle has a kill switch if it's not too old... ..

Just saying....

Sent From My DEV X

4. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Yuuuuup. As nice as this sounds, I can only see this going wrong.A kill switch will only get abused by the service providers. Late for your bill? Killswitch. Find out your device has been rooted? Killswitch. Try to unlock your phone to take to another carrier? Automatic killswitch. And then dialing of a special number to kill your device? Whats to stop a telemarketer robomarketer from accidentally dialing that number and killing your device?Too many ways for this to be abused. Only one way for it to work properly.

5. jtpowell

jtpowell Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Double true. The kill switch is for them not you.

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    Unless by "kill" you mean soft brick or whatever....If a phone company wants to, they can void your contract and turn-off your service whenever they want.

Otherwise agree there are already other options out there. Not sure it really matters given all the capabilities the NSA already has.

7. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    If my phone was stolen I'd just call Verizon and have them suspend service until I got another phone. I thought ESN numbers could already be trashed. I'm missing something here.

8. livinginkaos

livinginkaos Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Killing the esn keeps it from being activated on the network, but the device will function otherwise

9. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +2,015
    The legislation is to curb thugs from stealing your phone, the point they refuse to acknowledge is that the thugs want your phone so you can't call the cops right away. Oh, and yes they will sell it on CL for $ too. IMO no kill switch needed, we have many options already if we want.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

10. dgreekva

dgreekva New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did we really need or want the Presidential 'emergency alert' either? The voices who don't want this need to be louder than the tweet that broke Twitter. It was just a picture of celebs, this is real life.

Misdirection is rampant anymore with everyone being sold on benefits that sound nice on the surface. As folks are saying here, it will be used for far more restricting purposes and not just to brick a stolen phone. We can already do that if we want now via the free market apps!

Get loud now or get 'killed' when trying to speak on YOUR phone later.

11. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    Really... I'm pretty sure you can install a kill switch, and the EU is working on this tech... but it's not in your vehicle right now.

While I believe some conspiracies are indeed true, this one is a bit out there.

12. jimmya

jimmya New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 2013 f250 has a kill switch. It started a countdown last week and shut itself off because a sensor went out. Called Ford and they told me they can also turn it off if I report it stolen. Didn't know that when I bought it.

Search tags for this page

droid bionic kill switch