Discouraged and need help installing ROM

joezek

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting pretty frustrated since nothing seems to work and all my searches are unbelievably full of way too many results with no answers.

I have a DX and simply want a step by step guide to changing the ROM. I don't know why but it's friking impossible to find a thread telling me how to do so. I just wasted no less than 3 hours searching with all kinds of detours misleading me into every wrong dead end you can imagine.

So far I've successfully rooted the phone. I supposedly installed clockwork mod, however it will not boot into the clockwork mod bootloader. I've searched the Koush website endlessly for instructions and can't find them. I have superuser setup and it says ROM manager and Titanium backup are both allowed.

I've downloaded the Liberty ROM onto the phone and it shows it to me in the ROM manager, but will not reboot into the loader. Instead it just keeps skipping that and going into a normal reboot. I'm about to throw it out the window.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The problem is Rom manager is essentially useless on your phone. You need to pick up a copy of the droid x bootstrapper either in the marketplace or from koush's website and use that to get access to clockwork mod recovery.

tappin and a talkin

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
thanks for your advice, I installed the bootstrap. We'll see how I do now.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Once you have the bootstrapper hit bootstrap recovery to get access to cm recovery. After that its mostly self explanatory but if you have any questions don't hesitate to post em here.

tappin and a talkin

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
any suggestions for using the USB cable to keep it charging while updating ROM?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It won't charge while its in recovery so have it charged to at least like 80% before you start.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's what happens when you do a data wipe. If you didn't back up your apps with titanium then after you open the market for the first time your apps will start do download again.

tappin and a talkin

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
I tried the market but nothing has happened. The only app it shows me in market is the bootstrap I paid for. I'm trying to remember which ones I had and download them all again....getting there. Seems faster, maybe all in my head.

MrKleen

Reaction score
All your apps should simply reload shortly after you load your new rom. It is all automatic and if it's not you don't have your settings correct.

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
I need some coaching with saving my apps too. Apparently I can't seem to find any setting for backing them up. I had the Droid Incredible and rooted it, and experimented with different ROMs and every time the apps reinstalled themselves. This time I don't know what I did differently. I've even exchanged my phone with a warranty replacement (DINC) and that time all the apps installed by themselves. I've tried looking at the sync menu and can't seem to find anything there either. I thought that when I powered up the phone for the very first time, and it asked me to type in my google account number, then it logged into market and begins downloading previous apps...?

Isn't Google supposed to have all that stored on my account?

MrKleen

Reaction score
In your settings menu under privacy do you have "back up my data" and "automatic restore" checked?

forever29

Reaction score
Are you still on the 2.2.320 system version?

Sent from my X. HUUU!!!

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
It no longer says the system version in the "About Phone" menu. But it used to be 2.3.40.

"Back up my data" and "automatic restore" are both checked.