disconnected Phone under someone elses account

Risika

Reaction score
Alright so My boyfriend bought a android phone from craigslist a few months ago because his htc was being all screwy and his upgrade was a few months away. It's up now and we're hoping to get the droid X because it's buy one get one free. but anyways...

We tried to get it set up and switched to our account but the people at verizon said the number is still listed under the other person's account. the phone is disconnected and not a working account. but still under the persons name. does this make sense? I called the people told them they insisted that the phone was not under their name anymore. So my question is... is there anyway to fix this? I don't need to use the phone but I could sell it to someone else. I just don't want to screw another person like they screwed us. Verizon has told us there is nothing they can do. But there has to be something? :unsure:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Risika, this subforum isn't a good place to post anything. I'd recommend you start a new thread with this information in the general Droid discussion section as it will receive a lot more attention there. I wish I could offer some help but I know nothing about the inner workings of Verizon's machine in such a case. I'm sure there's something that could be done, but I don't know what or how effective.

Also, if you could post about your boyfriend's phone (I'm assuming it's either an Eris or an Incredible; we have experts on both here) we might be able to fix it for him. :)

Good luck!

OP
R

Risika

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, I'll repost this in the area you specified in hope someone can help me out some more. I don't really know what HTC he has but it's not a droid so =P it's mostly screwy because it's been dropped n all sorts of abuse. Not to worried about it. :wink:

THANKS again!!!!

OP
R

Risika

Reaction score
Alright so My boyfriend bought a android phone from craigslist a few months ago because his htc was being all screwy and his upgrade was a few months away. It's up now and we're hoping to get the droid X because it's buy one get one free. but anyways...

We tried to get it set up and switched to our account but the people at verizon said the number is still listed under the other person's account. the phone is disconnected and not a working account. but still under the persons name. does this make sense? I called the people told them they insisted that the phone was not under their name anymore. So my question is... is there anyway to fix this? I don't need to use the phone but I could sell it to someone else. I just don't want to screw another person like they screwed us. Verizon has told us there is nothing they can do. But there has to be something? :unsure:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
The NUMBER probably is, but the phone might not be. You need to talk to them about getting the phone with your number, or your BFs number on the phone.

cloud12077

Reaction score

If they disconnected it recently, you have to wait 30 days for the phone (ESN) to be removed from their account.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If they disconnected it recently, you have to wait 30 days for the phone (ESN) to be removed from their account.

or if there is any money owed on the previous owners account like a ETF fee you will not be able to activate that phone on your line until the previous customer clears that up.

OP
R

Risika

Reaction score
Thanks everyone... We've had it longer than 30days so I now know that's not it. But good to know for future reference. I'm going to take it as an unpaid bill the boy was selling it because it was his fathers phone who had passed away. So I'm guessing the bill is not going to be paid. So it's pretty much a P.O.S. to me. We paid $100 bucks for it... any ideas on what I can do with it being that I can't sell it as a usable phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... We've had it longer than 30days so I now know that's not it. But good to know for future reference. I'm going to take it as an unpaid bill the boy was selling it because it was his fathers phone who had passed away. So I'm guessing the bill is not going to be paid. So it's pretty much a P.O.S. to me. We paid $100 bucks for it... any ideas on what I can do with it being that I can't sell it as a usable phone?

You can use it on wifi for internet, gaming, that type of stuff. But you can't use it on the 3G network.

So you've learned a lesson, as many others have (don't feel alone or stupid) about buying phones off a Craig's list. No, not every phone on there is bad but it seems to be the #1 place to get rid of a phone that is either stolen, lost, etc. Try Amazon.com for a deal next time. ;)

techguru

Reaction score
You can also ask the seller for the ESN or MEID and check with Verizon if it is clean before buying.

Alan

OP
R

Risika

Reaction score
They don't lie when they say you learn something new everyday... good or bad.... I definitely learned my lesson that's for sure. O well.... could have been something worse I guess. It was a bummer but Being that I spent the $100 probably 2 months ago it's not really missed anymore. Not that it couldn't come in handy now XD

Well thanks for all the insight everyone. Very helpful Forum!http://www.droidforums.net/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you want to recoup some of your money you can sell it on ebay as a parts phone. Those usually go from 25 - 60 bucks depending on the condition.