Disappointment.

Nausicaa

Reaction score
This isn't really completely about Android, but smartphones in general. It seems that the way its going its not getting better. Smartphones are cool because you can change aspects of them, but its almost as if they were built to be terrible stock.

I remember when dumbphones had features that were better than the smartphones. They were not very feature filled, but did their jobs efficiently. For instance, the calendar on Android is terrible, and there are several applications to do it better, each one in their own way. I remember when I had the Blackberry Calendar, I never found a problem with it and never sought to change it, there were other applications but I never looked at them since the stock one was perfectly fine.

Older smartphone OSes like Blackberry and Palm had some really good stock programs, and I wish that the newer OSes like iOS and Android were better with stock programs. Usually if it has a 3rd party program, the original was terrible, or could be improved on. Some stuff such as the stock browser is still preferred even though there are 3rd party apps, but they also come with their own drawbacks, unfortunately I found more problems than they were worth. A lot of stuff could be improved on, but having this many choices frequently annoys me. I suppose I am echoing something found here: The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for reading yet another thread of mines lol.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Considering how new a true smartphone is, I think you are being impatient in expecting the same level of maturity as BBs app.

Oh, and citing wiki lowers the credibility of the article as wiki is naught but a collection of tribal knowledge.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen this argument here before: that the OS is somehow diminished because the native browser/email/calendar app is not to everyone's liking. I think the strength of this and any OS is that there are a plethora of options from which to select. I can find the app that does "whatever" in exactly the way I want it done.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I've seen this argument here before: that the OS is somehow diminished because the native browser/email/calendar app is not to everyone's liking. I think the strength of this and any OS is that there are a plethora of options from which to select. I can find the app that does "whatever" in exactly the way I want it done.

Yeah, let's lift a toast to "Choice" - use whatever pleases you on your Droid phone. :)

-Mike

Getsome122

Reaction score
Where would the fun be in it if everything stock was to my liking? The fact is everyone is different and all the possibilities out there and mods to be done is what makes these phones so amazing.

We all get to show off our personalities. Our skills at doing our own mods. Its just fun.

Now if they would just unlock the bootloader.... lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Nausicaa

Nausicaa

Reaction score
I'm not saying its a bad thing, but too many choices kinda annoys me. If I had a choice between 3 custom roms, I would be much happier personally. But theres too much stuff to try. Too many kernels, too many roms, and way too many applications to do one thing.

I didn't know where else to find the paranoid of choice, and since most of the stuff is under the hood, I can't just look at it like a theme and decide that its good or bad. All of them require time and patience, and I don't have that. Sure I can just selectively ignore some of the many choices, but I hate feeling that I didn't make the right choice.

My phone is very personal, but I didn't like making too many choices, I had a lot of programs that did the same thing.

mthorn79

Reaction score
This isn't really completely about Android, but smartphones in general. It seems that the way its going its not getting better. Smartphones are cool because you can change aspects of them, but its almost as if they were built to be terrible stock.

I remember when dumbphones had features that were better than the smartphones. They were not very feature filled, but did their jobs efficiently. For instance, the calendar on Android is terrible, and there are several applications to do it better, each one in their own way. I remember when I had the Blackberry Calendar, I never found a problem with it and never sought to change it, there were other applications but I never looked at them since the stock one was perfectly fine.

Older smartphone OSes like Blackberry and Palm had some really good stock programs, and I wish that the newer OSes like iOS and Android were better with stock programs. Usually if it has a 3rd party program, the original was terrible, or could be improved on. Some stuff such as the stock browser is still preferred even though there are 3rd party apps, but they also come with their own drawbacks, unfortunately I found more problems than they were worth. A lot of stuff could be improved on, but having this many choices frequently annoys me. I suppose I am echoing something found here: The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for reading yet another thread of mines lol.

Take a shot trying out HTC's Sense UI, stock program on the Inspire 4G is unbelievable compared to Motorola phones. Lots of Skins & Homescreen options to choose from right out of the box. Props to HTC.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I'm not saying its a bad thing, but too many choices kinda annoys me. If I had a choice between 3 custom roms, I would be much happier personally. But theres too much stuff to try. Too many kernels, too many roms, and way too many applications to do one thing.

I didn't know where else to find the paranoid of choice, and since most of the stuff is under the hood, I can't just look at it like a theme and decide that its good or bad. All of them require time and patience, and I don't have that. Sure I can just selectively ignore some of the many choices, but I hate feeling that I didn't make the right choice.

My phone is very personal, but I didn't like making too many choices, I had a lot of programs that did the same thing.

Try this: the ADW launcher comes with a bunch of free themes. Those themes are a quick and easy way to sample the essence of the various roms and themes without going to all the hassle of actually installing full roms or themes. Try them, and see if you find a particular theme that your attracted to and when you do find one, investigate what you need to do rom wise/theme wise, to add it to your phone. It's like a quick tour of a neighborhood, when you're thinking of moving.

-Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guess it depends on whether you view the glass as half empty of half full.

They've definitely improved in capabilities, extensibility and customization over the years. Personally, I don't see the point in complaining about a stock device unless the device restricts you to using its stock apps and capabilities. IMO it's about as silly as claiming that PC's suck because Windows only comes with Notepad, Wordpad, Paint, etc.

If you don't think smartphones are getting better, I'll happily trade you some antique Treos or Blackberries for whatever you're currently using.

If you don't like choice then why root? Why bother with custom ROM's and kernels? You might want to seriously look into the iPhone.