Disappointed

Cryostatic

Reaction score
I'm new here on this forum, but I've been reading up quite a bit on the Droid and found a lot of useful information here before I made my purchase. I'm a longtime AT&T wireless customer, starting about ten years ago back when they were Cingular. Contrary to what I read all over the internet, I've had absolutely zero problems with AT&T's service in my area. Doesn't matter where I go (locally), 3G service is there with full bars. I've been wanting a smartphone, something iPhone like, but not an iPhone, as I refuse to support Apple's closed-format business model.

So, yesterday, I switched to VZW and nabbed a Droid. Sweet, sweet phone. Took it home, sync'd it to my email, facebook, ect. Was amazed at how fluidly everything worked together. Ordered something online, downloaded a few free apps (WeatherBug is nice) dropped a couple of albums and videos on it. I love the Droid.

Then I got to work this morning. After running around putting out the morning's tech fires, I got back to my office, and pulled it out of my pocket.

Zero signal. Eyebrow raised. Searching for service? On my 3-year old Razr, I had 3G, full bars in my office. I got up, and started roaming. Zero signal anywhere. Walked outside to the courtyard. 3G, 3 bars. I consider that a good signal, but what good does it do me outside? Took the advice I found here, and dialed *228, went through the process of reconfiguring the phone, didn't help.

If I can't make or receive calls from inside the building, then it's useless. I need to be able to take service calls while I'm out and about. At work, the thing's a glorified PMP/paperweight.

Very disappointed in Verizon. If AT&T, of all companies, can manage to get a signal into my building, there's no excuse for Verizon's inability to give me even the weakest of signals. I love my little Droid, but it's going back to the store today. I'm now torn between waiting to see if AT&T brings it to their network (which means waiting another 3-6 months, if they even get it), or buying an unlocked Milestone.

Is there any way to get insurance on an unlocked phone? :confused:

xjman349

Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear you are having problems in your area. Where are you using your phone?

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm new here on this forum, but I've been reading up quite a bit on the Droid and found a lot of useful information here before I made my purchase. I'm a longtime AT&T wireless customer, starting about ten years ago back when they were Cingular. Contrary to what I read all over the internet, I've had absolutely zero problems with AT&T's service in my area. Doesn't matter where I go (locally), 3G service is there with full bars. I've been wanting a smartphone, something iPhone like, but not an iPhone, as I refuse to support Apple's closed-format business model.

So, yesterday, I switched to VZW and nabbed a Droid. Sweet, sweet phone. Took it home, sync'd it to my email, facebook, ect. Was amazed at how fluidly everything worked together. Ordered something online, downloaded a few free apps (WeatherBug is nice) dropped a couple of albums and videos on it. I love the Droid.

Then I got to work this morning. After running around putting out the morning's tech fires, I got back to my office, and pulled it out of my pocket.

Zero signal. Eyebrow raised. Searching for service? On my 3-year old Razr, I had 3G, full bars in my office. I got up, and started roaming. Zero signal anywhere. Walked outside to the courtyard. 3G, 3 bars. I consider that a good signal, but what good does it do me outside? Took the advice I found here, and dialed *228, went through the process of reconfiguring the phone, didn't help.

If I can't make or receive calls from inside the building, then it's useless. I need to be able to take service calls while I'm out and about. At work, the thing's a glorified PMP/paperweight.

Very disappointed in Verizon. If AT&T, of all companies, can manage to get a signal into my building, there's no excuse for Verizon's inability to give me even the weakest of signals. I love my little Droid, but it's going back to the store today. I'm now torn between waiting to see if AT&T brings it to their network (which means waiting another 3-6 months, if they even get it), or buying an unlocked Milestone.

Complete opposite for me. AT&T will not penetrate any of our buildings. Of course it is all tower location related.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
In your case I'd try someone elses phone, have you checked with anyone else in the office who has VZW? If that's not the case it may be your Droid.

I've also had a similar experience w/ VZW when I went skiing, perfect reception everywhere but the resort. Aparently ATT had exclusivity w/ the resort for cell phone coverage.

And if all else fails in the decision making process, just rely on the force:

death-star-att.jpg

OP
C

Cryostatic

Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear you are having problems in your area. Where are you using your phone?

I work in central Boca Raton in Florida. It's a pretty high population area, and VZW's website shows a 3G blanket over it. Traveling around town (granted, where I live, about 20 miles north of where I work) I didn't have a problem at least getting a signal most places, even if it wasn't the strongest.

When I think about it, the phone's signal did weaken in the two stores and restaurant I was in last night. Never lost signal, though.

In your case I'd try someone elses phone, have you checked with anyone else in the office who has VZW? If that's not the case it may be your Droid.

I've also had a similar experience w/ VZW when I went skiing, perfect reception everywhere but the resort. Aparently ATT had exclusivity w/ the resort for cell phone coverage.

death-star-att.jpg

Most of the people I've checked with are AT&T customers (the company's employees actually get a 15% service discount with them). A few Boost mobile, T-Mobile customers. Of course, I haven't talked to everybody (that'd take weeks) but I haven't met any other VZW customers here yet.

Love the death star. Great pic.

RosarioM

Reaction score

I could be the building / windows. It's possible that the signal is blocked. I worked in a building that had special windows to block wireless signals. If your company uses AT&T Blackberries, they may have installed an antenna on the roof to provide coverage inside the building. That's what they did for the company I worked for.

Demo24

Reaction score
Did it actually say no signal? It's the bars with a line through it icon. Because on occasion I may have a very weak signal, and it may not show on the icon. However, I still have signal and can do stuff with it.

OP
C

Cryostatic

Reaction score
I could be the building / windows. It's possible that the signal is blocked. I worked in a building that had special windows to block wireless signals. If your company uses AT&T Blackberries, they may have installed an antenna on the roof to provide coverage inside the building. That's what they did for the company I worked for.

I don't think signals are intentionally being blocked, but we do indeed have corporate blackberries that the higher-ups use. Thanks for that bit of insight, I'd be willing to bet that's the case here as well.

Did it actually say no signal? It's the bars with a line through it icon. Because on occasion I may have a very weak signal, and it may not show on the icon. However, I still have signal and can do stuff with it.

What it says, specifically (in the notification panel, or on the lock screen) is "Searching for Service". If I try to make a phone call, it says "Not registered on network", and if I try to do anything accessing data, it gives me a "Network Error" message.

SRR1138

Reaction score
I know this won't help it making calls, but do you have wifi access there?

Silver Member
Reaction score
welcome to high frequency radio communication. vzw's network just doesn't have the strength of the older, lower frequency bands to penetrate cement and steel like AT&T does.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
welcome to high frequency radio communication. vzw's network just doesn't have the strength of the older, lower frequency bands to penetrate cement and steel like AT&T does.

Well knowing this, i still have yet to find a building where my phone is searching for service. I don't think i've ever been in a building where i've lost my phone service. Even in the heart of the building. I may drop a bar or two, but that's about it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
there must be some special combination of cement and metal that make certain buildings worse than others. i know my building is terrible for service. they even had to put in repeaters for their BB services.

fibermick

Reaction score
Loosing signal

Every year I go to a conference in Milwaukee. Always have signal in the huge (concrete, steel, glass) convention center and everywhere else---except in the elevators in the Hilton Hotel. Last year my two friends kept remarking that their iphones still had signal in the elevator. Arrgggh! Hope my beautiful Droid doesn't let me down this year.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there must be some special combination of cement and metal that make certain buildings worse than others. i know my building is terrible for service. they even had to put in repeaters for their BB services.

Is your building newer or older?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score

death-star-att.jpg

That pic is awesome, I've heard another phrase for AT&T I love. AT&T is like the newest Ferrari that stalls every 20 feet.