Disabling System Updates

Shawte

Reaction score
Hello.
I know there have been many threads started about disabling system updates and I've read through many of them but so far I have not found one that actually describes how to disable system updates and remove the update notification.

I've got a Razr Maxx HD with 4.1.2 on it and I REALLY don't want my phone to update to 4.4.2 since the new update removes the WiFi hotspot ability from the phone.

Would someone please point me in the direction of a thread that tells me how to disable the updates and remove the notification or reply with instructions on how to do it?
Thanks.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
freeze or otherwise disable the updater.apk in system apps. you will need to be rooted, as this is a system app. there is no non-rooted method to stop the update, that im aware of.

OP
Shawte

Shawte

Reaction score
I tried to use SafeRoot to root the phone but I do not see any way to access any system apps so it might not have worked.
If I need to use a different rooter I'll give it a try but I am a total noob to this stuff so suggestions on which one to use would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I tried to use SafeRoot to root the phone but I do not see any way to access any system apps so it might not have worked.
If I need to use a different rooter I'll give it a try but I am a total noob to this stuff so suggestions on which one to use would be greatly appreciated.

saferoot should have worked on your build.
i havent used it so i cant give intimate details on how it works or what to expect.
if one wasnt installed by the app, you will need to get a SU app like SuperSU or similar to manage SU permissions before you can actually do anything with root. after installed or on one already installed, you will need to open the app and update the binaries. some ask you when it opens, some you have to go into settings or similar and tell it to manually.
after that, you can grab a SU checking app to verify its working.
next you will need an app to freeze the updater, i believe the one i used to use is called "bloat freezer", there are others, its your choice.
then simply open the freezer, find the updater, and freeze it.

there are other methods to stop the updater, but being new, you should stick to the simple ways like the freezer until you understand more about what can be done with root. you can really mess things up if you start modifying system files without the proper knowledge.

OP
Shawte

Shawte

Reaction score
I have SuperSU already. It is not giving me any options to do anything under the Apps and Logs tabs. It just shows 'No Apps Configured' and 'No Logs Available' respectively. Since I didnt want to mess anything up I have not tried to change anything under the Settings tab. Is there something in there I need to change?
Sorry to be such a pain with all the questions but I don't want to mess up the phone and thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

cbadave

Reaction score
The easiest way I've found is to just disable the update notifications. Go to settings>apps>all>Google Services Framework and just uncheck the box that says "Show notifications". This will stop the annoying notifications. If you don't do this you will eventually get a notification that won't allow you to ignore and once you install, you're SOL...no turning back. I learned this by installing on one of my Razr HD's and it's now unusable due to all the issues. I used this method on my wife's phone and haven't gotten any more notifications to update and it still seems to function correctly on the 4.1.2. I hope this helps.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
The easiest way I've found is to just disable the update notifications. Go to settings>apps>all>Google Services Framework and just uncheck the box that says "Show notifications". This will stop the annoying notifications. If you don't do this you will eventually get a notification that won't allow you to ignore and once you install, you're SOL...no turning back. I learned this by installing on one of my Razr HD's and it's now unusable due to all the issues. I used this method on my wife's phone and haven't gotten any more notifications to update and it still seems to function correctly on the 4.1.2. I hope this helps.

you can use this [guide] to go back to jb if you wish.

edit, forgot the link lol http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2789743

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I have SuperSU already. It is not giving me any options to do anything under the Apps and Logs tabs. It just shows 'No Apps Configured' and 'No Logs Available' respectively. Since I didnt want to mess anything up I have not tried to change anything under the Settings tab. Is there something in there I need to change?
Sorry to be such a pain with all the questions but I don't want to mess up the phone and thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

uninstall supersu and try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su
scroll sideways through the screens and click on the option that says "update binaries" if it fails there is something wrong with your base root.
if that doesnt work, you can use the [guide] from the post above and upgrade to kk, root, unlock the bootloader, then flash back to jb and root again. i guarantee if you follow the guide specifically you can get root on jb.

OP
Shawte

Shawte

Reaction score

Trying it now. I'll post tomorrow to see if it works.
Thanks.

P

promo87

Well, I really don't think that system updates can be disabled without rooting your device ! It can only be disabled if you are a rooted user !

OP
Shawte

Shawte

Reaction score
Sorry it too so long to post the results.
I tried using the guide but upon attempting to download the apps onto my computer every warning that could go off on my virus protection started flashing. With that happening I decided to go back and try everything from the beginning.
The short version of the story is that Bloat Freezer has the updater frozen now and I am no longer getting the update message.

Once again I want to thank everyone for responding and for the help.