Disabling data connection ability before putting in the sim card?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by NeoStar9X, Nov 6, 2010.

1. NeoStar9X

NeoStar9X New Member

I recently ordered an unlocked Android phone, a LG Optimus GT540. It hasn't arrived yet, thankfully I can return if this doesn't work out, but want to figure out something before I put in my sim card. I have AT&T.

Is it possible to disable any and all data sending possibilities before putting in my sim card?

For a while now I've been using a Nokia E63. A smartphone but once I got it I went in and removed all the apn information regarding AT&T's networks outside of the MMS information. I primarily wanted to use the wifi feature on the phone and had no desire to use AT&T's data connection or have a data plan. It worked and I haven't had any issues. If I do open a browser it ask me for a connection first (since I changed the settings).

I figured I should be able to do that with any phone really but the Android OS complicates things a little. It tends to want to communicate all the time I believe.

I found this after searching for a while.

It was on this site. How to Turn Off and Disable Mobile Data Connection (2G/GPRS/Edge/3G) on Android Phone My Digital Life

Will this really work to stop the phone from sending any data out? Not even a ping as they say?

I have some dead zones where I work where no cell signal will get out. So I figure I could take the phone there once I get it. Switch over the card and then get into the settings and delete or alter APN information, etc. Though if there is a way to disable certain things before I even do that to just to make sure there is no sending capabilities at the time I'd feel a lot better.

Is there a way to do it without any data connection being established?

Or will this particular phone simply not pull the apn information over since it isn't sold in the US? I'm worrying over nothing?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. gunz.jones

gunz.jones New Member

Just go into settings and turn off all data options...droid 2 has the options on 2.2 and my g1 had it on original and all roms..seems static and simple...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page
data connection sim
disable cellular data iphone before inserting sim card no da

disable sim card android

disable sim card droid
how do i turn on data connectivity on at&t lg optimus

how to enable data connectivity on at&t lg phoenix p505

how to turn off data on lg phoenix

lg fathom turn off data

lg gt540 data connection

lg optimus t without data plan