Disabling active apps in ICS?

mooch91

Reaction score
I love the new functionality that allows you to disable apps, but it seems as if it won't let you do so unless the app is currently not active (or so I assume, maybe there are some that just can't be disabled). Things like Backup Assistant, Picasa authenticator, etc. When I rooted my Droid X and disabled all of these things, they definitely helped performance of the phone, and I didn't have a list of 100 apps that could be selected when I went to "share" something.

Has anyone figured out how to disable apps that are already running? I tried a force closed first, but the disable option remains unavailable for those apps.

Thanks!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Some apps you are not able to disable at all. Some you have to uninstall any updates for them, and then it will let you disable them. I don't believe I have come across the inability to disable a running app

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
"Weather", for instance, is one that I'd like to be able to disable. No need for it - I use BeWeather Pro which I'm happy with. I just can't see having this app open all the time as a good thing; I'm sure it's doing behind-the-scenes updates that are just unnecessary.

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow a "Disable", I suspect because it's always running. "Stopping" or "Force Stopping" it doesn't seem to allow it to be disabled either.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
"Weather", for instance, is one that I'd like to be able to disable. No need for it - I use BeWeather Pro which I'm happy with. I just can't see having this app open all the time as a good thing; I'm sure it's doing behind-the-scenes updates that are just unnecessary.

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow a "Disable", I suspect because it's always running. "Stopping" or "Force Stopping" it doesn't seem to allow it to be disabled either.

That's because Weather isn't an app, it's a process for the weather widget. In ICS, only apps can be disabled, not an individual process. That said, since getting ICS and disabling all of the bloat I could disable, I haven't seen Weather running.

OP
M

mooch91

Reaction score
That's because Weather isn't an app, it's a process for the weather widget. In ICS, only apps can be disabled, not an individual process. That said, since getting ICS and disabling all of the bloat I could disable, I haven't seen Weather running.

Would love to see a list of what you did disable.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Would love to see a list of what you did disable.

Well, of course now that I've said I have yet to see it running, Weather is running. At least it doesn't appear to run too often. :)

I have the following disabled:

Apps (with the Verizon bag on the icon)
Google+
Help Center
MOG Music
Quickoffice (I have Quickoffice Pro installed from the Amazon Appstore)
Slacker
Slingbox
Social Location
V CAST Tones
Verizon Video
Video Calling
VideoSurf
VZ Navigator

I use some of the others from time to time (like NFL Mobile, MotoActv, and My Verizon), so I left them be.