Disable USB debugging when screen is locked?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by raidzero, Jul 8, 2010.

1. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    I just made a shocking discovery. Eclair stores its exchange credentials in plaintext in an sqlite database on the device. If USB debugging is on, all one has to do to get the users exchange credentials is pull the file and READ IT whether or not the phone is locked.

I am wondering if there is a way to disable USB debugging while the device is locked?

2. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +13
    There's an app called tasker that might be able to do this
    You can set the phone to do almost anything based on time location states and events such as device shut down
    Here's the link
    Tasker for Android

3. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I came to this forum to ask about USB Debugging. Because you guys are talking about it here, can someone tell me what the point of it is?? I never know if I'm supposed to disable it or not when I plug in the phone.

4. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +13
    When you add files to your phone it's supposed to debug the and make them work more flawlessly on your phone i leave mine on

5. raidzero

Ratings:
    +3
    USB debugging is used to provide access to your phone through the USB port. This means the phone's filesystem can be manipulated via USB. I suggest keeping this feature off if you do not want it, purely for security purposes.

6. jacobrv

jacobrv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Coming from somebody (me) who has actually used USB debugging and ADB, and written an android application:

Having USB debugging enabled allows your phone to accept connections from ADB (Android Debug Bridge). ADB is a tool that you can run on your computer to connect to a terminal on your phone via USB. This allows you to type commands on your computer and have them run on your phone. This can also be done with scripts. For example, when compiling an android application in Eclipse (a software development suite) a script will run that will send the newly compiled application to your phone and launch it automatically.

So, if you are developing an android application or need to use ADB for some other reason, turn USB debugging on. Otherwise leave it off. It does NOT debug your files that you put on. As for the phones filesystem, raidzero was right but I don't think it was clear enough. You can access the SD card without USB debugging, but not the internal storage. With ADB (which requires USB debugging) you can send a command to pull a file off the phone's internal storage but you can not see the internal storage like it was a thumbdrive. USB debugging is meant for people who know what it is. If you have to ask, you should turn it off.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. raidzero

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe not like a SD card exactly. But with ddms you can browse the filesystem and directly manipulate files.. that's how I found the sqlite DB in he first place..

;)

Search tags for this page

adb without usb debugging

enable usb debugging on locked android

enable usb debugging on locked phone

how do you enable usb debugging if you are locked out
how to enable usb debugged when phone is locked

how to enable usb debugging on locked phone

how to enable usb debugging when phone is locked

how to turn on usb debugging without screen
screen locked and unable to set debug on
turn on usb debugging android while locked