disable the search button

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zzpianoman, Feb 17, 2010.

1. zzpianoman

zzpianoman New Member

I've successfully disabled the search button by modifying the following two files:

/system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl
    /system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl

Basically what I did was comment out the lines which reference the "search" function:

qwerty.kl

#key 127 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
    #key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED

sholes-keypad.kl

#key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED

(Just add the # to the beginning of each line)

This also disables the search button on the hardware keyboard (never used that one anyway). I also noticed that the button still provides haptic feedback when touched, but it will no longer launch the search application.
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

:welcome: zzpianoman! thanks!! i've hated that search button since nov 6! maybe next you'll find a way to make it work for a user chosen app? :D hay a girl can dream!
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Free app in the market = Button Shortcut. You can change the long press of the camera button and the search button. I forget if its the short or long press of the search button though. The developer might be willing to add the one you want if its missing, especially if you let them know the above findings.

Just re-downloaded it. It is the long press of both buttons, not the short press, that you can change.
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Button Shortcut v1.5.0 Application for Android | Tools

I personally like the search button, but that app apparently can do that.

*Edit* Got beaten.
  5. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Thanks to both of you!! i'm going now to get it!
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Happens to me all the time:)

It lets you change the long-press...which displays the last 6 apps you used, not the short-press that brings up search. I use the search button in a browser all the time. Press it once and it is the url and press it again to search the web
  7. rednukleus

rednukleus New Member

Amazing. This is the first thing that bugged me on the Droid. That button is very sensitive and interrupts almost all apps if touched accidentally. I will try disabling it. Oh, I just read the OP again. I like the hardware search button because that's what you use for those awesome direct app shortcuts.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

It does annoy me but I don't think much about it. simply pressing the return button brings you right back. But I guess there's an app for everything. Thanks, I'll check it out too.
  9. jspicher

jspicher New Member

This is awesome, l've been wanting to get rid of that stupid button for a long time. How do l make the changes to these files? I've mounted my phone via USB, but don't see a user directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Mounting your phone on your computer you are only browsing the SD card, you need to get into the system file of your phone. To do that you are going to need to be rooted and then have to use ADB, Terminal Emulator, or Root Explorer to copy the files you need to your SDcard. Make the necessary changes, then push them back, using a reverse of the same process. Followed by a sync and reboot I would imagine.

Most definitely make a nandroid backup prior to doing this, in case something goes wrong.
  11. jspicher

jspicher New Member

oh crap l didn't know it was so involved just to get rid of the search button lol.
    Thanks for the heads up; perhaps l'll test it out when l feel a little more comfortable messing with the OS.

Regards!
  12. zzpianoman

zzpianoman New Member

It's not really that bad, just make sure you have backups of the files. I must admit it is kind of nice not having that stupid search thing come up every time I accidentally bump the search button.
  13. dale.c.brooks

dale.c.brooks New Member

Thank you Button Shortcut. I wanted to disable the long search press, because it used the non-user modifiable system volume to announce itself, then made an even more obnoxious and louder noise when you hit cancel...since i use my droid late at night, this wakes my wife up each time it happens...designers, never add a default sound that a user cannot control...please...thank you forum, for helping me fix this...
  14. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Something happened to my camera button, where it's always pushed in (even in recovery mode it shoots through menu's, as its always pushed) no matter how i fiddle with it, won't become unpushed. It kept launching the camera app making the entire phone impossible to use, i eventually removed Camera.apk from /system/app/ and moved it to my SD card, but the phone kept doing its little "i'm launch camera.apk" vibrate every half second, then didn't launch because there was nothing to launch

key 217 was the camera key, this literally saved me. thank you...so much.
  15. whatsoever.hk

whatsoever.hk New Member

Could anyone help to send me the original sholes-keypad.kl? Mine is now missing... All default buttons are NOT working... The Home Button was GONE! I want to DIE! Please send me the file to whatsoever@whatsoever.hk ...
Search tags for this page

android disable search button

android search button disable
disable android search button
disable search android

disable search button android

disable search button android phone
disable search key android
droid x disable search button
how to disable search button in android
how to disable search key in android
remove search button android