disable stock messaging app

ucpro

Reaction score
i have handscent, so i prefer to use it all the time, but the problem is that when i get a text message, i always get duplicaates, one from handscent, and the other from the stock messaging. is it possible to disable the stock messaging app?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
did you set Handcent as your default messaging application?

you also need to turn off all notifications on the stock messaging app as well.

OP
U

ucpro

Reaction score
so i will still get messages, but won't be notified. will that take up any kind of memory though?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
so i will still get messages, but won't be notified. will that take up any kind of memory though?

well I do get the messages in the stock app as well. If anything it just takes up phone memory and the memory the stock app uses. I have a feeling the stock app would pop up anyway like the other apps; car dock, multimedia station, settings, google.core, etc.

If there is a definite way to turn off the stock messaging system I'm in for it, I just don't have the solution and too lazy to click around. Too busy doin other stuff with my Droid:icon_ banana:

edit: just checked and all my settings for stock app are turned off. however, if you delete a thread in the stock app then it deletes it in Handcent. I saw no option to completely turn off the app, but all my settings for it are off. Sorry doesn't seem like there's a way to stop it from working.

Last edited:
OP
U

ucpro

Reaction score
that sucks that it deletes out of handscent too, oh well.
just wondering, what is the 'other' stuff that you're doin with ur droid. i rooted mine just in case someone came up with easy ways to change animations, roms and get tethering