Disable startup sound effects

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I know this subject has come up before, but the threads I've seen usually end up referring to adb commands or other suggestions that don't seem to work.

My question... is there a way to disable the "DROID" voice sound effects on boot directly from the phone WITHOUT using your desktop?

I am rooted with Froyo. I know of the app "SilentBoot" and I've tried it. The problem with that app is that all it really does is automatically set the phone's existing silent profile. It mutes all sound including the ring tone. So, you have to manually change the profile to "normal" each time you reboot or you'll miss calls and/or other audible alerts. No good for me because if I need to reboot, I usually don't have time to wait for it so I just hit QuickBoot and come back to it later.

I just want to target that specific file. I can see it with root explorer, but I can't touch it because it's ready only. Can I get around that somehow?

Any suggestions?

browseabout

Reaction score
If you are using Root Explorer just push the "Mount R/W" button at the top and that will allow you to edit the file. Then just rename it. I just renamed mine from VZW_Droid.mp3 to VZW_Droid.mp33 and it worked like a charm.

For anyone else who would like to do this without using adb shell and recovery mode or whatever else is being suggested here is how to do it.

*Requires Root

1. Open Root Explorer
2. Navigate to "/system/customize/resource/VZW_Droid.mp3
3. Press "Mount R/W" button to enable the file to be edited
4. Rename VZW_Droid.mp3 to something easy to change back to (I just added another 3 to the ext on mine. ex. VZW_Droid.mp33)
5. Done :)

Hope that helps.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Awesome, that did it. Thanks!

Now... in reading up on this subject, I saw some posts that talked about disabling the
sound AND animation to speed up reboot. It sounded good but looked a lot more complicated than just doing the sound.

Can I use your technique to disable the animation files as well or would that potentially hose the phone?

browseabout

Reaction score
You know what? I'm really not sure on that. I think I remember trying the same thing on the bootanimation.zip file and it just gave me a black screen until the phone finished booting. So the boot artwork didn't show up but it didn't speed it up any either. Sorry I can't give you more on that area but I'll look into it.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I remember someone else saying that they got the same result in a forum post somewhere, but I'm not sure what technique they were using though. I remember that most if not all of the posts that I read were complicated and usually involved a 20-step process using ABD.

Yes, please let me know if you find out anything about it.

I appreciate your help a lot, and I'm sure my wife will be as equally greatful since now she won't be woken up by the "D R O I D" voice at 5am when I turn on my phone every morning.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
FYI ...

I tried renamaning the bootanimation.zip file and the animation was replaced by a somewhat generic version of the "android" nameplate. It shortened the boot by about 5 or 10 seconds. Not instantaneous but better than before. That may be the best one could do without going deeper into the boot routine or loading a new ROM.

psycho_maniac

Reaction score
If you are using Root Explorer just push the "Mount R/W" button at the top and that will allow you to edit the file. Then just rename it. I just renamed mine from VZW_Droid.mp3 to VZW_Droid.mp33 and it worked like a charm.

For anyone else who would like to do this without using adb shell and recovery mode or whatever else is being suggested here is how to do it.

*Requires Root

1. Open Root Explorer
4. Rename VZW_Droid.mp3 to something easy to change back to (I just added another 3 to the ext on mine. ex. VZW_Droid.mp33)

Hope that helps.
can somebody do this and post the file up here? i dont have the stock rom anymore so i cant do this. i would like this sound though.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I used the rootexplorer method if renaming the droid .wav file and that did it. The audio part is gone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

HumboldtDave

Reaction score
Droid Incredible - Root Explorer - "Mount R/W"?

*Requires Root

1. Open Root Explorer

Hope that helps.

I don't see a "Mount R/W" button... and trying to press and hold for menu on file, choosing "Rename" options brings Warning: (file) "cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only"...?

RKramden

Reaction score

*Requires Root

1. Open Root Explorer

Hope that helps.

I don't see a "Mount R/W" button... and trying to press and hold for menu on file, choosing "Rename" options brings Warning: (file) "cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only"...?
you have to be "rooted" to use Root Explorer.
just having Root Explorer doesn't allow you the
access you need.