Disable notification bar?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JB4times4, Sep 13, 2010.

1. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

So I recently achieved root and have been trying different roms along with using LauncherPro Plus. LauncherPro Plus has the option to disable the notification bar, but it only does so on the main home page and the app drawer.

What I'm looking for is a way to completely disable the bar, does a way exist?
  2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I'm sure you could remove it from the system but don't take my advice. I don't know what that would do to the rest of your phone when it comes to look or functionality.
  3. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

Worst case, I'd just like it to work like the "Hide notification bar" option in LauncherPro, except at all times.

[EDIT]
    Any chance you could point me into the right direction to try removing it?
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I don't think this is a good idea at all. The notification bar is NECESSARY for a lot of apps. Hiding it in the default launcher is as good as you're going to get. Anything else would seriously hinder the utility of the phone. Some apps might still work fine (maybe gmail and browser), but other apps might NEED those notifications to be tapped on in order to access them. Also, there's no other way to easily get a monitor of signal strength on some phones (and you do want to know when you have signal, right?)
  5. log

log New Member

Why do you want to this, makes no sense at all.
  6. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

It makes plenty of sense...why do you want a custom slider? why do you want a custom icon? why do you want to customize anything on your phone?
  7. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. Perhaps (I am guessing by the way) the reason it hides it on the homescreen but not inside some apps is because some apps have a resolution that leaves that top part blank. If that was the case then the notification bar wouldn't be hidden because there is nothing for it to hide behind.
    Also, deleting it would be pretty bad I would imagine. You could however make it transparent. So you would still see the battery meter, signal bars, etc.. just that the background for them would be your homescreen.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Changing the appearance of screen elements is much different than changing the existence of them. The short answer to your original questions is no, there is not currently any way to completely disable the notification bar. That doesn't mean it's impossible - just that nobody has done it. The notification bar is an integral part of the Android OS and apps rely on having a way to provide notifications to the user to function properly.

It would be a pretty major change to actually REMOVE the notification bar, and you would have to replace it with some other means of providing notifications to the user (because, like I said - some applications REQUIRE notifications to function). It would certainly require a source-based ROM, and would probably end up with a list of applications that will crash if you try to run them.

Another option would be to disable the notification bar on the homescreen (trivial), and then make the notification bar completely transparent, remove the clock, battery, etc. You can modify the system framework to make the various icons transparent as well. Once you got rid of all the icons and changed the notification bar colors, etc, you would effectively have an invisible bar, which you would still need access to for some apps.
  9. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

Well, maybe this makes sense maybe it doesn't, but how about like moving the notification bar up 50 pixels or however tall it is so that it's just off the screen?
  10. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

You would still need a way to access notifications or you will lose.functionality of your phone. We aren't just saying this to be trivial. It would be akin to driving your vehicle at night without headlights on.

Part of how the Android OS achieves multitasking is through use of broadcasts. Say you open up a gallery of some sorts to send someone else a very large multimedia file using bluetooth. What happens is the main gallery application itself will create a new thread that actually handles the sending of the file. So if you get a phone call, etc., the file transfer won't block you from answering he phone.

If no new thread was.created to handle this task, the your Droid would appear unresponsive until the file transfer was over.

Having a status bar available to access is a piece of this. When a thread finishes it's task, it will broadcast this back to the application which created it. By the time you have finished the file transfer you will probably be working in a new application. Instead of stealing focus away from the current application, an icon in the notification bar would alert you to this instead. There are dozens of good reasons for this and also dozens of different scenarios as well. Some scenarios could open up security risks, while others could cause a loss of functionality altogether.

So instead of removing the bar, all an application can do is hide it. Unfortunately this needs to be done on an application to application basis. Perhaps though a developer could create a service that started at boot and hid the notification bar across all applications. Of course once it became visible again you would manually need a way to hide it again since it would have no way of knowing when you was finished with it.

Bottom line: You don't wanna get rid of the notification bar. Well I take that back as it seems you are persistent to screw up the OS. Let me rephrase that. "You SHOULD not get rid of the notification bar". I'm sure if you donated some cash or asked politely a developer would attempt to create you a ROM without the bar. You should ask... :)
  11. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

I use launcherpro, it tells me when I get an email and sms so I don't care for the other notifications but I'm not trying to remove it I guess that was the wrong wording. I figured you all knew how it worked on launcherpro, I have the notification bar hidden but when I slide up on the app drawer button it pulls the notification window down, so it's still there I just don't want to have the bar across the top.

Also it's kind of offensive to say I'm persistent on screwing up my OS...I just want to modify the look of things not screw up my OS, no one really wants to screw up their OS.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

you can change the gesture shortcut for the app drawer to none in LP, so that sliding up on the app drawer would not bring back the notification bar.
  13. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

But I want that...I just don't want the bar across the top...
  14. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Sorry bout the wording there...or lack of. Wasn't meant as an insult. It was very early in the morning and I obviously failed in conveying the context I had intended that statement to come across as :).

Unfortunately applications don't persist the visible state of the notification bar. So when you open another application it has no idea whether to show or hide itt...that application also most likely doesn't even contain any code to implement this to begin with. So again you would need a service to hide it at boot and maybe a widget to toggle whether it's visible. If such a service is possible then whatever launcher of choice you use could also implement the toggle via gestures or whatever.

I don't see it happening soon but I like it when I'm wrong.
  15. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

Sorry I guess I shouldn't post after heated phone arguments with heartless people...It seems to rub off on me.

No hard feeling either way?

Alright, I guess that makes sense...just wish I had the knowledge to program something like that. :)
  16. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

All good with me :) if. You ever find an application that will do exactly how you need it let me know. If I run across anything that seems like it would work you will be the first person I think of
  17. JB4times4

JB4times4 New Member

Will do!
    10char
Search tags for this page
android 2.1 disable notication bar
android how to disable notification bar
android notification bar disable

disable android notification bar

disable notification bar android

how to disable android notification bar
how to disable notification bar