Disable auto startup of apps?

matt011990

Reaction score
I noticed ever since I got 2.2, my battery was getting worse. So I looked into the taskpanel app and it was showing apps running that I never use. Am I missing something that will disable the autostart up of these apps, or is there something else that I need?

As a heads up, the apps that keep showing up are VZ Navigator, Skype, Amazon MP3, Car Panel, Maps, Navigation, as well as some others. Most of these things I don't use.

Matt

Last edited:
OP
M

matt011990

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really want to root it. I've had mixed experience in the past with rooting/jailbreaking devices in the past. Even more because I'm still really new to this platform.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why do you feel the need to keep them from starting?

Android manges memory alot different than other OS's do.

OP
M

matt011990

Reaction score
Yes I understand that. I need to keep them from starting because where I go to school, I have terrible reception in many places and when my phone is searching for a signal, it uses the battery much faster. I have gone from a day+ without needing a charge to about 9-10 hours! I really love this phone, so the day+ battery isn't horrible, but the 9-10 hours is.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Don't kill them, don't stop them.. leave them be. They aren't doing crap. Please for the love of all that is good and holy left in this world DO NOT install or use a task killer. The easiest way to troubleshoot battery life problems is to first reboot the phone and let it get a proper charge overnight. Then use it as normal. If the battery is still an issue, go to the settings and check battery usage and it will show you what is using the battery most. Then begin your troubleshooting from there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't kill them, don't stop them.. leave them be. They aren't doing crap. Please for the love of all that is good and holy left in this world DO NOT install or use a task killer. The easiest way to troubleshoot battery life problems is to first reboot the phone and let it get a proper charge overnight. Then use it as normal. If the battery is still an issue, go to the settings and check battery usage and it will show you what is using the battery most. Then begin your troubleshooting from there.

+infinity. Sounds like an excellent plan.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes I understand that. I need to keep them from starting because where I go to school, I have terrible reception in many places and when my phone is searching for a signal, it uses the battery much faster. I have gone from a day+ without needing a charge to about 9-10 hours! I really love this phone, so the day+ battery isn't horrible, but the 9-10 hours is.

When they are in memory, but do not have focus (not on the open screen, they are not searching for anything, using cpu cycles or battery. They are dormant. The only thing to look out for is an app or widget that does frequent updates of data. There was a thread yesterday about an app, I think it was Bloo?, that was updating facebook every 2 minutes in the background. Baring something like that, apps in memory are not a problem. How much memory is free is not an issue either as Android will remove anything from memory that it needs to in order to perform whatever task you ask of it. Don't worry about apps in memory. they are causing no issues.

OP
M

matt011990

Reaction score
I uninstalled my task killer. I'll see how the battery lasts now. But today it only lasted 4 hours. I took it off the charger at 10 and when I got back from class at 2 it wouldn't turn on until I had it plugged in. I didn't use it any during those 4 hours other than for checking the time because I go to school in a black hole for technology. It couldn't have used 100% of the battery for searching for a signal in 4 hours, could it?

equity4t

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I downloaded this update to 2.2 and all of a sudden it's draining my battery every 6-8 hours. Add to that list of crap that opens itself Skype Mobile which came with the update.

jacob083

Reaction score
One thing I've started doing to save battery life since the 2.2 update is disabling the Mobile Network when I'm not using it. It's really simple to switch on/off by placing the widget for it on the Home Screen. I went from having a dead battery after 8 hours at work, to having around 70%. BTW, you can find the widget in the Settings drop down, when you select Add Widget.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing a forum member told me about Froyo is to let the battery run down until the phone turns off, then charge it. The theory is that Froyo needs to learn about the battery it's using. It worked for me.

Drugfreedave

Reaction score
I believe its just the Froyo update that sucks. Basically, it was just to push applications to our devices that most of us don't want, or at least don't want to pay extra for.

I've tried troubleshooting for the battery..using airplane mode in places with no signal, using juice defender (i think its called), and everything else i've read. Basically the update wasn't battery life friendly, so lets just cross our fingers and hope the next one is better..i've also searched for a way to revert back to 2.1 and its apparently impossible.

I use a Sedeio 3500mah extended battery, so I can get a day or two worth out of it. Still a great phone, invest in the extended battery, so much less stressful.

oh, p.s. I Stopped using the Task Killer..it was tough to stop using it since I came from multiple generations of blackberry. But I stopped..and it makes no difference, you're just stopping the things that are open for a reason. The stuff thats open for no reason they won't let you close (unless you root, which i'm too newby to dabble in just yet)

Just my little nugget of wisdom..

:)