DirectTv Android App...

jssmith76

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, I did a search and couldn't find anything that talked about this app, so...

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the DirectTv app in the marketplace? I just ordered DirectTv yesterday because I found out that DishNetwork has stopped airing the channels FX, FSN, and the history channel as of Oct. 1st, and on Nov. 1st, they'll most likely stop airing the Fox channel as well.

Anyways, I saw that there's a DirectTv app in the marketplace, and that it allows you to remotely access your DVR to set up recordings remotely. I just wanted to hear some feedback from this forum as to people thoughts and feeling about using the app.

Thanks,
Josh

jpeeps05

Reaction score
yea i currently use the DIRECT TV app on my droid. it is pretty sweet setting up and recording shows from my phone..it lets me choose which tv i want to record to as well.

OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
yea i currently use the DIRECT TV app on my droid. it is pretty sweet setting up and recording shows from my phone..it lets me choose which tv i want to record to as well.

Sounds good... As for selecting which TV you want to view the program on, you can only watch it from a preselected TV, not just have it on the DVR and then watch it on any TV you want and a later date? I'm getting two boxes, one HD-DVR, and one HD box. They told me that I can watch DVR programs through both boxes.

Thanks,
Josh

jpeeps05

Reaction score
yea you select what dvr box you want to record it to

OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Cool cool... I guess since I'll only be having one DVR box, it'll be simple to select it then. :D thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Josh

compwrench

Reaction score
Josh, Hope you have an installer that has a brain, mine took 8 hours to try and figure out how to hook up Whole Home Service and still didnt get it. I think all of the supervisors were on vacation so another installer had to come the following Monday to help him. I refused to let him come back on Saturday because the wife works on the Internet and I couldn't chance them tying it up because the weekends are her best day$. The app works well but doesn't have choice to extend a live show or sporting event like the DVR does so you have to record the next show as well just to be sure. They have an excellent forum and I think I could have taught him how to install it properly from the info I received there. You can set a recording via their web site as well. There is also a program that lets you watch your recordings on your computer via the net. Not sure if it is internet or just home network but I think it's Internet...will have to check that, hadn't thought of that till now. Good Luck!, Rob

OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Josh, Hope you have an installer that has a brain, mine took 8 hours to try and figure out how to hook up Whole Home Service and still didnt get it. I think all of the supervisors were on vacation so another installer had to come the following Monday to help him. I refused to let him come back on Saturday because the wife works on the Internet and I couldn't chance them tying it up because the weekends are her best day$. The app works well but doesn't have choice to extend a live show or sporting event like the DVR does so you have to record the next show as well just to be sure. They have an excellent forum and I think I could have taught him how to install it properly from the info I received there. You can set a recording via their web site as well. There is also a program that lets you watch your recordings on your computer via the net. Not sure if it is internet or just home network but I think it's Internet...will have to check that, hadn't thought of that till now. Good Luck!, Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I too hope that the installer has half a brain and does the job correctly. If my shows don;t get recorded tonight, there will be he!! to pay! The installer is supposed to be at the house today sometime between 8am and 12noon, so hopefully the wife wakes up and doesn't sleep thru the installer showing up and knocking on the door. I guess her and the lil one were up late last night. :(

As for watching recording via computer and internet (mobile device), I believe that's the SlingBox system that's been talked about some. I don;t think I'll be going that route right now.

Thanks,
Josh

compwrench

Reaction score
Its a Cyberlink app that you can download called DirecTV2PC. You can get 2 serials per account. The only way to get it is to first download the DirecTV2PC System Checker app then the real app link will show up. The checker app will tell you that you are inadequate if you don't have a gig video card, but it works with less. When launched it looks like the DVR list page. The only view on Droid I saw was for NFL package, after you buy the TV package you can buy the Android NFL viewing app.

Brandonovich

Reaction score
Cool cool... I guess since I'll only be having one DVR box, it'll be simple to select it then. :D thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Josh

The way this works is that the HD/DVR box is TV # 1 and the HD/DVR box is TV # 2. While it is recording a show on either TV 1 or TV 2, you cannot watch another program on that TV. So if I want to record football, but I know my wife is going to want to watch TV in the living room while it records, the I set it to record to the second TV, which is in the bedroom. Once it is recorded, you can play it back on either TV.