Dings On Droid's Surface

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Sixonefour, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

This might be off subject but here's a shot in the dark...

Yep, I've dropped my D1 about 50 times at least. It's one rock solid phone. Anywho, has anyone found a way to fill/repair the dings/dents? I have several spots that show through the finished black surface. I still have many months before I can upgrade. I think I'm also out of warranty range.

Any info is appreciated!
  2. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Look into getting a nice looking case. It will help with future dents and hide your old ones. There are a couple of good looking thin cases for this phone.
  3. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

I tried one of those slim snap on cases only to have it raise my keys on my keyboard up a little. I took it off immediately after I noticed the keys starting to pull from the phone. I had a friend keep one on and it completely destroyed his keyboard. The little tiny clips on those things drug across the keyboard every time it was slid open and eventually made them bubble out. He got a replacement eventually but like I said, I'm out of my time range for a replacement. I would take a refurb if it meant getting rid of the surface dings :)
  4. speedfreeq

speedfreeq New Member

Otterbox Commuter case can be found under $15 on Amazon. No problems on the keyboard at all. I'm on my second case, as I drop my phone all the time; have already destroyed one case with no damage to my Droid at all.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  5. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

I'll look into it, thanks! I'm a habitual phone dropper. I should have protected it from the get go. I did throw on a screen protector, which has held up fine. I never expected it to last more than a year anyways, boy was I wrong. This phone has taken an a$$ whoopin' and is still working great. Not sure I even want to upgrade when the time comes, but probably will.
  6. coovee

coovee New Member

my droid got lost then i found it, and it had been burried in the snow after being run over. i got to my car, plugged it in charger and low and behold the ****er worked, with a completely cracked digitizer. i had the $20 standard verizon case on it that i got when i got the phone. anyhow, i paid $20 for a new digitizer and sent it out to missionrepair.com and they replaced it for me, for a small fee for the joy i still have for a working droid.
  7. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

Good story man! Its only the front surface that needs repaired. The frame around the screen. Its all cosmetic. I fortunately left the back protective case on. No glass issues, yet. Filler for the dings or something is what I need.
  8. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Clear Fingernail polish works wonders!!!!!!!
  9. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Out of curiousity which case was it you tried that messed up your keyboard. I used many different types of cases for the D1 and never experienced it. If I know which you tried maybe I can make a suggestion for something else. Because it sounds like you need something to protect your phone lol
  10. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

Interesting. Thanks for your input! Guess it can't hurt anything! I figured I may need to possibly sand it a bit, rough up the surface a bit for something like that to stick.
  11. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

I found it on eBay. It was a black one but very similar to this one:

EDIT:

I kept the back of it on because it didn't cause any issues and its fairly sturdy. The front however, has tiny clips that you can't see pictured, that drug across the keyboard every time it was slid open, and started pulling the keys up from the keyboard. They got slightly hard and almost started to 'bubble' out if that makes any sense. Stay far away from this case!

And yes, I definitely need to better protect my next new device. I still want to keep my D1 in good shape though. The dings are driving me crazy. Slight case of OCD maybe? :)

I should have contacted the seller immediately but I didn't really want to go through all that on eBay. They would probably just deny it was their case and say they sold X amount of cases with no complaints and it would somehow have been my fault. Its a shame I let them get away with it. Probably too late now. The phone was almost new at that point. Shame on me I suppose.
  12. JSM9872

Maybe slight ocd but you're entitled to that with your devices lol. I had an enormous amount of luck with the seidio surface case. It looks similar to what you pictured there but it would have the brand name pictured on the back of it. Never had any issues with the keyboard and was very durable for how thin it was. You can probably get one cheap on amazon now. I would check it out.

Protect that D1. It deserves it!!!!

Sent from my DROID2
  13. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

Glad to know you approve of my slight OCD! Haha. I'm sure going to miss this old clunker once I upgrade. How often does the industry grace us with such durable devices. This phone is as heavy as a brick and I love the steel case design. I checked locally and these phones, used, are still going for $100+. I will check out the case you suggested as well, I appreciate and thank you for your input!
  14. JSM9872

No problem. Good luck with it. I hope I didn't lead you astray!!

Sent from my DROID2
Search tags for this page
droid x digitizer dent
how to get dent out of screen protector
motorola a855 case

samsung galaxy s3 dings