Dim lighting or in the head?

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hello,
I was forced to return my Droid because it stopped allowing me to dial out.
Support did not know what he problem was other than to tell me to return it since I'm in the first 30 days of ownership.

The replacement was received and I found that the lights for the back,menu, home, search are a lot dimmer than the returned device.
I would actually say the second device is a lite purplish in color.
Also I had an issue on Saturday where in the dark the buttons and keyboard didn't light at all. Once I turned my dome light on (in my vehicle) the button bar came on that dull purplish light.

Has this been reports of 2 different lite units?
Is this a problem or is this normal?

I think that the second unit is also a bit slower and, or laggy...
This could just be me worried that I received a defective unit I'm not sure.

Other than that all works as far as I can tell.

Thanks

spalding12

Reaction score
JW,
i'd take this one back, too
i guess you fully brightened up the backlight and still thought it was dim
as for the PURPLISH color...
mine have always been THAT color, as well...
yours is lagging in speed?
is it updated to 2.0.1?

if there is any question it's ALSO defective, i'd take it back before they won't let you
and before you put more time into customizing it

good luck
please give us an update as to what happens

JayMonster

Reaction score
I have seen people complain about the lighting before and typically the response is to return the unit because the light is not set properly, it is reflecting off the plastic which is why it is dim and has that purplish color.

My guess is the lag is FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt), but I would still return the unit for another because there is no reason you should have to tolerate a defective unit (even if "minor" like a poorly placed light) at this (or any other) point.

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
Well been on with Verizon and they are now saying that I only get 1 exchange and that there will be a 35.00 charge.
I thought that during the first 30 days, you could change to the same device as much as need be.
Also that the 35.00 restocking fee was if I change device models?

Am I not correct because they are pretty solid on there position.

Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was told by VZW when I bought my Droid that even if I returned it within the first 30 days there would be a $35 restocking fee. Crap I know but unfortunately I think it's how it is.

LordKastle

Reaction score
N0mon or you could always go in and say well if I have to pay a restocking fee, I'll gladly just return the phone and cancel my service.

I wouldn't worry about the 35 dollars but if you find it insulting, since you have 30 days to decide whether to keep it or not, I assume you could have a legitimate gripe. Its just the fact of the matter and if your phone is a faulty unit it is not your fault. No moral to that extra charge.

JayMonster

Reaction score
This is a service issue, they can't charge you for a service issue, the phone is under warranty and they need to give you a fuctioning device. Demand it! As LordKastle said, you can always threaten to cancel your account. They are not (or shouldn't be) "restocking" this phone as it is defective so a restocking fee should not apply.

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
Well took back the device and got one that is brighter and the touch buttons at the bottom aren't purplish when lit.
Seems to be more responsive but thenagain it could be my uneasyness to the lite issue.

I called first and EVERYONE gave me slack...
"If it lights then it works" amongst other statements.

Once I arrived on site the technical rep took a look at it and said, "WOW that is purplish".

She went through out the store and turned all the demo's on and none of them were that bad.

They powered 2 new ones up and compared then as well I got the best out of the 2.

Now hope all stays in good working order I only have 12 more days.

Thanks