[ Dilemma ] Buy the G3 on eBay for $799. or wait till August

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Last week, I stopped by the LG Store to get the scoop on the G3. I was told they will not be available here in Thailand until August. They did not have confirmed pricing but thought the 32G will come in between $650- 750. Past experience tells me it would be closer to the $750. price.

Yesterday, I was messing around on eBay only to find the Chinese version selling for $799. The price includes 2 LG batteries, a case and a screen protector. Fedex 3 day international delivery was included as well. After doing the math, turns out to be a good deal or perhaps a wash if the phone sells for $650.

The eBay ad did say the phone will work on all GSM networks but may not work on some 4G LTE networks. So I started to do some research.

The Koren G3 covers every radio band and lists LTE and LTE-A in the 4G range. LTE-A is the advanced version. LTE-A uses 3 bands to achieve faster data up and down.

The Korean phone uses LTE-A on the 2600 band. My carrier uses the 2100 band. The LTE specs are a perfect match. Looks like I will lose the higher speed LTE connectivity.

Now, the price is about a wash and I can get the phone almost 3 months earlier. I am wondering if I can flash the Thai radio software when available or are there any physical differences in the radios hardware? Or, just not worry about LTE-A and get the phone.

I was able to flash different radios on both my S3 and S4 with no issues.

What do you guys think?

KaChow

Reaction score
I don't think you're going need to wait till August... With all the Talk on this phone and the Carrier deals that are taking place, this phone is going to be everywhere July 1st, earlier I read an article that said next month this device is going to hit over 170 carriers (link bonus #11). The guys that are selling these things on Ebay are really going to be at a loss, this phone is going to be everywhere. I've also read that the RSV on G3 is nearly $50-$100 less than it is on Galaxy S5, which again this is another big deal for carriers, especially the ones that offering the S5 promos for new contracts. Besides I'd hold out for the 3/32.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
This is the 32/3G version. If it hits in July I will wait. I just noticed that LG is advertising it all over their Thai website. Perhaps it will launch here soon.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't trust phones purchased from eBay. They're usually more expensive and you never know what you're getting. I've seen too many posts over the years that start out with, "I purchased my (insert make/model here) on EBay and the seller won't allow me to return it, won't reply to my inquiries, sent me a fake, etc. etc".

Not worth the trouble imo.

tap'n

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't trust phones purchased from eBay. They're usually more expensive and you never know what you're getting. I've seen too many posts over the years that start out with, "I purchased my (insert make/model here) on EBay and the seller won't allow me to return it, won't reply to my inquiries, sent me a fake, etc. etc".

Not worth the trouble imo.

tap'n
You know me Chris. I checked the seller out and they are an authorised mobile phone retailer. Plus, those that are underhanded won't ship via Fedex as it's too easy to trace it back to the shipping address.