Digitizer coming up slightly

porsche996

Reaction score
So I got a TB this past week, and love the thing. Coming from an OG Droid, it's a huge step up (even when I had that sucker overclocked at 1250 Mhz.).

Anyhoo, the bottom right, and right hand part of the digitizer is about 1 mil higher than the case, whereas the rest of it sits perfectly flush. Also, if you push down on it, it will push down to make it flush, then slowly rebound.

This makes me think the digitizer glue/sticky tape isn't holding like it should.

Does anybody have a fix for this?

I'm assuming I will probably need to take the digitizer off, replace the glue/sticky tape, and then go from there. In which case, can the digitizer be peeled up without disconnecting it, therefore not needing to take the phone completely apart?

OP
P

porsche996

Reaction score
Awesome....

Went to a local Verizon Wireless store, thinking I ought to take it into them before I do anything myself. Afterall, it's less than 1 week old!

Go in and explain to the worker what the issue is, and she presses on the screen (resetting it) several times, then walks to the back with it. Then comes out a few minutes later letting me know that she looked at another Thunderbolt, and it's made the same way, so it's not a defect with my phone...it's a design issue...

So then the manager comes out and was fairly rude from the start. He starts right off saying there's nothing wrong with the phone, and that he's not going to replace it. Never mind you I never once asked for a replacement; just that mine get fixed since it's brand new...

I tell him it's soft on the screen in the bottom right corner, and that it's not a blackberry; the screen shouldn't physcially move in when pressed on. He grabs the phone and starts pressing with enough force I can see the little LCD ripples on the screen, says there isn't a problem, and hands it back. He tells me he didn't feel anything wrong; at this point, I'm getting upset, so I tell him he needs to check his finger, then...

I tell him the glue does not hold like it ought to, and if you let it sit for a bit, it will raise up all on its own. He tells me that his worker said I was prying it off with my fingernail...I wasn't; I was showing there was so much of a gap that you can fit your fingernail INTO it.

Then we have a long round-about conversation where he tells me the phone works fine, and there's nothing wrong with it. I say the screen is peeling up, and the screen is part of the phone, so if it's peeling up, it's not working right... He tells me as long as the phone still works; can still make calls, etc., then there is nothing wrong with the phone. I respond that, "ok, so if the plastic on the side of the case just falls off, but the phone still works, that's not a defect so the phone won't get replaced"... He comes back with, "that's not the case in this instance, so I'm not replacing your phone."

Uggg!

At that point, we've gone back and forth for at least 5 minutes, and he asks me to leave the store. Now I'm wishing I had actually gotten beligerant, but I have my 9 year old son with me and I'm not going to cuss or yell in front of him. Anyhoo, I ask for his employee number. He won't give it to me. Says he has his name tag on. So I write it down, and as soon as I walk out of the store I call Verizon.
--------------------

Part 2:

Customer service at Verizon was exceptionally friendly. Let me know that the case IS part of the warranty, and if there is something wrong with it, it IS covered under the warranty. They asked for the manager's name, location, etc., to let him know that he is not following company policy in that the case IS part of the phone...

Anyhoo. Long story short, a new phone is being overnighted to me, and I'll have to send this DEFECTIVE SCREEN one back.

So much for trying to do the convenient thing and go into the store in person. That'll be the last time I physically go into a verizon store. It's just not worth it.

OP
P

porsche996

Reaction score
Update:

Got my replacement phone in, and it's perfect! Screen is not only flush with the frame, but it's very slightly recessed below the edge of the frame (less than 1/32"), and everything is nice and tight like it should be.

Sweet!!

Thank you Verizon Customer Service!

kseriel

Reaction score
Wow! One thing that I tell everyone about Verizon is their customer service. In my opinion it's second to none! I've been with most of the major carriers and poor customer service is why I left them. It is pleasing to hear that the end result is a satisfied customer. I purchased my bolt the day it came out and have been lucky thus far to say that I've not had any issues with it.

Sent from a Rooted Bolt