Digital vs physical (hard) copy.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Inspired by a post made by@94lt1 in the Batman thread, do you prefer digital or physical copies of movies?

Digital serves the benefit of being able to take it anywhere from any device as long as you have access to the cloud. Many of the digital providers allow you to save it offline to a set number of devices. And digital releases up to 3-4 weeks before the hard copy.

Physical copy you own unlike digital where you technically "borrow" under the set guidelines of the service provider. At anytime one of them go under or feel you violated an agreement that copy can disappear. With a physical copy you can play it on any (supported) device at any time as well as let anyone you want to watch it. The downside is that you have to take the physical copy with you and if you lose or damage it you will have to purchase it again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I own at least a hundred some DVDs, but with Netflix, Google Play Rentals, and On-Demand through my cable company, I don't really buy movies like I used to. The last several that I bought, though, have been through Google Play and are digital.

I may regret the decision down the road when I don't have internet access and have forgotten to download some movies, but until then, they don't take up room in my house and I can watch them whenever/wherever I want (if I'm willing to burn data when not on wifi).

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I prefer physical, and I make a digital version for my home server as well. Also when offered, I like the Blu-ray / DVD / digital copy option on "blockbuster" movies, those digital copies are stored on my Google and other accounts.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
For movies that I really enjoy nothing beats BluRay. I have maybe 20 physical copies & 4 digital. I've gotten rid of close to 50 BluRay movies over the past couple years simply because I never watched them. And since I rarely re-watch a movie more than twice, i don't bother to "buy" either very often.

S5 tap'n

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Digital Hard Copy. Built a media server to house everything. I don't like streaming services because if you lose internet, you lose access. I can always plug into my server. If you run a service like Kodi you get a better than Netflix interface and can stream to your devices from YOUR database.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Digital Hard Copy. Built a media server to house everything. I don't like streaming services because if you lose internet, you lose access. I can always plug into my server. If you run a service like Kodi you get a better than Netflix interface and can stream to your devices from YOUR database.
Plex to Chromecast.