1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Difficulty Rooting, little help?

Discussion in 'Droid Charge Development' started by DHO, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DHO

DHO New Member

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to root a family member's Charge

I downloaded odin 1.82, installed the Samsung driver, have tried multiple Voodoo/CWM/root kits that claim they work with Charge EE4
    I put the phone into download mode, flash with Odin, and I get a Pass. When the phone reboots, it reboots quickly, and no root is applied.

If pressed up/home/power, I can boot into CWM. This takes several minutes and I hear the voice prompts that should happen after the root. Once I get to CWM, I reboot, BUT there is still no root. I have tried installing superuser.apk, but it says there is not a kernel that supports root.

I have tried 4 different root files, multiple times, the install always passes. CWM is successfully installed, why not the kernel? Any insight into what I am doing wrong?
    I am considering flashing a kernel from CWM to see if that fixes it, but wanted to ask the charge community before I grow more gray hairs working on this phone ;)
    -Thanks

Edit:
    In CWM the menu button should act as back, but it doesn't. I cannot figure out any back button. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. da2zoe

da2zoe DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi DHO...have you gotten root yet? You said you flashed CWM but did you then flash one of the inmut's EE4 kernels with CWM. Flashing CWM itself does not give you root as that's what the kernel does. Check out the link for Rooting in my signature for files in Post #2. :)

To "go back" a menu in CWM navigate with volume buttons and use power button to select. There will be a menu option to "go back" a menu from submenus.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. DHO

DHO New Member

Thanks for the info. I got it rooted yesterday. The Alli-in-one packaged that combined CWM, kernel, and voodoo did not work. But flashing each one separately worked fine.

When I reflashed CWM it worked correctly.
  4. da2zoe

da2zoe DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Yay, glad you're all fixed up and rooted!

*tap tap tap'n*
Search tags for this page

ooin mode