diffference between roms????

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
I have a total noob question and I have been reading on here for several weeks and have not found much good info.

What is the difference between roms???

From what I under stand a custom rom changes the way the device operates. But what else? Maybe the better question is "What is the ROM?"

Is it just difference Widgets (icons)??? What else changes?

I just rooted today. I was really hoping to "remove" rename some of the "bloatware". Several people told mee that I would be better to freeze it with titanium back up until I get a custom rom.

I have seen many different types of roms here but I dont under stand the difference between them.

Would like to see screen shots if possible

Thanks for the info

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read read read, you'll see.

Some go more for speed. Some go for looks. Others for blur or blurless. They are all tweaked different in different ways. Mine right now comes with it all, including different window animations.
aefd509e-4204-47a4.jpg

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
Ok that helps some.... I would be looking for speed

What is Blur/blur -less??

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score

Blur is the UI that Motorola has started placing over the Android OS in order to create a more 'user friendly' look and feel for the general user. However, Blur cause lag and is loaded with bloatware (apps forced on you by Verizon). The original Droid is Blur-less and the Droid 2 and X are loaded with Blur. A lot of ROMS for the D2 and DX remove Blur, making it well, in my opinion, better. Make sense?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well Darkslide v4.1 w/4.2 update is pretty quick and smooth. Kejar's GummJar is an excellent choice for speed. I would hold off till his and Jrummy's comes out in a couple days. Maybe a week.

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score

Well Darkslide v4.1 w/4.2 update is pretty quick and smooth. Kejar's GummJar is an excellent choice for speed. I would hold off till his and Jrummy's comes out in a couple days. Maybe a week.

+1 can't wait for Liberty :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
F

Fx4Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the help here guys.

I am going to do some more research and may just wait for Liberty to come out.

Also another question..... what's up with the names of the roms?? are the names what ever the developers want to call it or are their reasons for calling something Apex or Gummjar??

just curious

BlownSi05

Reaction score
The names are just what the dev wants to call it....lol

I bricked my first Droid X, and since that moment I have spent lots of time reading through this forum. Let me tell you from personal experience; it was worth the time. I have been able to answer all my questions through searching this forum and this place is an indispensable resource. Read and research until you are comfortable with messing with your phone, then make your choices. Good luck!dancedroid

CHP

Reaction score
KNOW HOW TO SBF. It will come in handy. If you don't know what to do if/when you brick you'll be in a hole.

You've been warned ;)

rayne58

Reaction score
Okay so me im pretty new to all this flashing roms and the sort...I was lurking on this forum for a while even before I had my Droid x rofl but now that I have flashed like 15 times and have nandroids of everything I am so comfortable with my phone so im gonna give you some definitions for things I didn't understand really.

Deodex, Idk the specifics of how it works but if you try to flash a rom without doing it you will be bricked. I have an auto deodexer that is very easy to use if you want gimme your email ill send it to you

Bootstrap...buy it and download it lol your gonna need it without it good luck with any of this rofl

My biggest prob was blur nd blurless I didnt really get it,blur is just motos apps that are on your phone by default and tbh the only blur app I used was the camera and galley rofl that's all I miss nd I got the camera back rofl

My biggest hint is to just look on the forums I am slightly under the influence rofl so if your confused with what I said my bad welll good luck lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Trong

Reaction score
Deodex, Idk the specifics of how it works but if you try to flash a rom without doing it you will be bricked. I have an auto deodexer that is very easy to use if you want gimme your email ill send it to you
Flashing a ROM on to a non-deodexed device won't brick your phone; it's flashing a theme that'll do that. At this point, the only non-deodexed ROM would be the stock Motorola one. ROMs will come already deodexed.

rayne58

Reaction score
ty for the info lol i did not know that...so if you try to flash a theme to a odexed phone=brick? makes sense