1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Different Kernels?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by lack06, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lack06

lack06 New Member

Im curious what is the actual difference between Kernels'. I blindly picked one for the new SS4.7 update. Seems my battery life, speed, and over all smoothness is greatly increased over my last ROM. I did a full backup, wipe/clear prior to installing SS4.7.

Im wondering what the difference is between the 7x LV 1.2GHz(current), and 7x MV 1.25GHz; and how my system performance/battery life could differ.
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

LV is Low Voltage, MV is Medium Voltage and ULV is Ultra Low Voltage not all phones can run all kernels so you are lucky to be handling a 1.2ghz, the difference between 1.2 and 1.25 is .05mhz (just a bit faster and possibly more unstable) also there are 5 & 7 slot kernels the slot being the amount of speed choices you have while using SetCPU

While using a 7 slot 200/800mhz kernel your choices would be something like this

200-300-400-500-600-700-800

While using a 5 slot 200/800mhz kernel your choices would look like this

200-350-500-650-800
  3. lack06

lack06 New Member

So the voltage doesn't depict the speed? I still need SetCPU to get it faster?

And I was comparing current LV to the highest MV.. Sorry ROM'ing newbie :)
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

The ghz/mhz is the speed, the voltage is the power it uses to push the ghz/mhz

I know SetCPU allows you to change between slots very easily, but Chevy might have a script built into his ROM that let's you change the speed

SetCPU is only a few dollars in the Market and the money goes to a Developer who has played a big part in...where we, as Rooters, are at today, so it is a good purchase and I would highly recommend it