Different Droid Tolerances

hondabacon

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the different droid castings from the factory, making one screen on some models at slightly different Tolerances then others. Talked to Seidio Rep today and told him my top piece that goes on the slide out does not fit just pops off. He told me that about 20% of the droids have a different shape around the edges and on the bevels where it meets the corners. He also said they are aware of it and in February are going to have a new case for me to try or I could take the money now. The case is beautiful; now only if it would fit.

So this is my second droid my first one had a loose head phone jack so I just haven't sent it back yet.
So I tried the case on the first one I had, went right on. wtf? The screen is also tighter on this model, doesn't wobble nearly as bad.
Went to a Verizon retailer had the manger whip out his droid his screen is tight and his Seidio case fits. Ok, so tried a body glove case at the store and tried it on mine didn't fit perfect on the top wanted to spring off. His worked perfect. Verizon told me I didn't get a refurbished phone since i was within my first 30 days. Did I get a refurbished phone that they used for product testing? What going on? Is there a way yet to tighten up the screen?

I have to travel a hundred miles to have the tech guys look at it since its a warranty problem now and there going to tell me its normal anyway. yay....
I thought Motorola came up with Six Sigma to improve the quality and control and remove the causes for defects. Frustrating... :mad:
Droid works perfectly though and I still love it anyway just a really sloppy screen and the annoying screen click when u press it to your face or touch the left side of the screen.

Well just curious if anyone has any info on this.
Thanks

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're still within the 30 days I would have VZW give you another. Take the case with you and find one that it fits. If they give you any crap just do like you did previously and get someone else's Droid to show the differences.

I saw the Seidio rep post about this on the Seidio forum and wasn't really sold on it. But with an actual user confirming it I'm a little more agreeable. This are MASS PRODUCED phones that they stockpiled in a hurry to meet launch demands so I can believe that a lot of the phones that may have been 'on the line' would have been allowed to slip through. But still, you're under warranty and if you can show the phones not correct they should give you a new one.

tvandyck7

Reaction score
Wow... That doesn't sound right. You should definitely get it replaced. The cases fit mine perfectly and the screen is nice and tight with no click or wobble. I don't see why the dimensions of one Droid would be any different than any other. Maybe someone did do a sloppy job throwing yours together. You paid too much for your phone to have a defective one (plus the $100/mo you pay for service).

OP
H

hondabacon

Reaction score
The problem with trusting my instinct is the Verizon Tech support on the phone practically told me my next replacement will be a refurb, yes just what I wanted not new in the box but one that supposedly passed there 100pt inspection and blah, blah, blah. Don't Care. I want a new phone and am tired of bringing it to reps so they can call into Vzw and say guess what he was right his phone is loose its not normal.
I have 4 lines on my phone bill, two with data packages you do the math. Should get a new one every 6 months.
And I don't want a iphone cause the droid does! everyting I want, except pass spec from the factory.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you take it to the store where you got it (actually, make sure it's a Corporate store) than you should get a new phone. You're not doing a warranty claim/exchange this is a return of a new unit. Just keep making them elevate you (i.e. store manager, than regional manager or high level CS rep) until you are happy. If you are within your 30-day window you have a TON of leverage by threatening to return and cancel all 4 lines (that's a SH!^ load of money they are losing). I know peoples experiences are different from one store to another but my local store here (which is a corporate store) will do just about ANYTHING within reason to keep customers happy. I am very pleased with their CS.

OP
H

hondabacon

Reaction score
3rd Droid:
Went to corporate store today and after about 15 min they started processing my request for a replacement. They didn't seem all that sold on the loose screen or headphone jack but the fact that the Seidio case fit, both the managers phone and the reps phone, had them perplexed. My only conclusion is what has been discussed above, it slipped through quality control testing or was a pre launched phone aka refurbished.

New phone has much tighter tolerances and my black Seidio case fits beautifully.
Thank god. I had till the 28th of this month, then my thirty days would have been up, KZI warrior thank you for your help so I could make a decision.
Oh and every droid in the store had a loose head phone jack so im convinced all owners of droids have a wobbly head phone jack. Check it out for your self. Mine works fine any way just a fyi.
Love my droid now that its back to meeting spec.
:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it taken care of. Didn't think they could find a way to deny you if you could show the difference.

Hey check these out as an alternative to the headphone jack:
Enter your location

They're REALLY nice. And if you use the code ACC20 you get another 20% off so they're only like $23 bucks with free overnight shipping. I got mine on WED and LOVE them. Good sound (not great but dam good for the price) and the BT headset works really good.