Different approach to rooting FRG22D

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by therockingeek@aol.com, Sep 4, 2010.

1. therockingeek@aol.com

therockingeek@aol.com New Member

Ive been trying to reroot my moto droid and heres the problem i have came across. My computer REFUSES to flash sprecovery so my idea is could i factory reset my droid and the apply one of the non-official 2.2 updates up there through stock android recovery? does this sound do able?
  2. hankafyin

hankafyin New Member

3. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

+1 to everything hankafyin said. Tell us what's happening when you try to flash SPRecovery and I'm sure we can solve it. If you want to give it a shot, I just added a brand new "Frequently Encountered Issues" section at the bottom of the OP in my rooting topic. Most likely your problem is covered there.
  4. therockingeek@aol.com

Well what keeps happening is I will go into rsdlite hit the "...", browse for the sdf file and when I select it the program basically doesn't read it, no details load and therefore the flash button never highlights
  5. schmoken

schmoken New Member

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me:

RSD seems to have problems with long paths. My sbf file was at C:\Users\schmoken\Downloads\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf and it wouldn't read it.

Moved sbf to c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf and it reads it fine.
  6. therockingeek@aol.com

Ok great thanks schmoken and motocache1's guide said that too so ill try it as soon as I go on my lunch break.
  7. hankafyin

hankafyin New Member

I ran across this same problem last night as well. I checked the RSD lite log, and extracted the sbf to my desktop rather than c:\ like scmoken did. This worked for me as well.
    EDIT
    I used a Windows 7 x64 system.
  8. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Not to throw a wrench into the mix, but I've used the following path ever since rooting in March and never had a problem:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\My Documents\Droid\SBF\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
    which is longer than the path mentioned.

Not to make you sound stupid, but when you use RSDLite, you are at the screen with nothing but white text on it after rebooting using "power + up on directional pad", correct? That is where you need to be to use it and the program should read "connected" or "connecting" in the large bottom section before using it. Just trying to troubleshoot with you. I know I had problems using it on occasion and ended up doing a "facepalm" when I realized I was in the wrong place trying to use it. :)

EDIT: After reading other posts, I'm using 32-bit Windows XP, so that might explain why I'm not having issues with the long path name. :)
  9. Aiesline

Aiesline New Member

10. hankafyin

hankafyin New Member

Thanks Aiesline, bookmarked it, this is a much better explanation, than I was trying to wrap my head around.
  11. Aiesline

Aiesline New Member

Welcome. I was really happy to find a simple explanation for all the rsd lite problems :)
  12. therockingeek@aol.com

Thanks guys but it really was nothing more than the sbf file being too deeply buried.