Differences between the Nexus One and Droid?

SoCalMiles

Reaction score
you have to realize that the Nexus One also has the potential to be upgraded (ex. they are reportedly not even allowing access to the whole 512 of ram yet) The Nexus is the first Android phone running a Snapdragon so I'm sure the phone will have updates that optimize the use of its hardware. As far as this whole Droid has a GPU Nexus don't gibberish...well that's just BS!

if you have 512 ram you have 512 ram. You cant be denied access to the abilities of your phone ram wise. If they didnt want the thing to be 512 ram they wouldn't have.

RAM is random access memory. this means that is how much things you CAN run.

You are allowed to use full extent of your ram.

I said REPORTEDLY and YES I KNOW WHAT RAM IS...thank you!

edit: I'll post it again: http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/34935-nexus-one-ram-status.html

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
wuyanks,

That doesn't really make sense. You have 40-50mb sitting there, doing nothing. More is not going to speed up your phone whatsoever. Apps get swapped in and out of ram all the time. This isn't windows, it has better memory management.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Frankly, I wouldn't buy a N1. The physical keyboard is a deal breaker for me. You lose a lot of functionality without that keyboard.

I hate typing with the software keyboard and it taking up the whole screen. It is easy to forget what field you are typing or forget where you are completely. That and Roms are unplayable without a hardware keyboard.

The processors right now are a wash IMHO. The Snapdragon is a *bit* faster, but battery life suffers. Whoever said they will need to "optimize" the hardware though, is sorely mistaken. They will provide Android revisions, but that's really it. The only thing I would have probably liked is the additional RAM in my Droid, but the physical keyboard is more important to me than that.

Tell your friend, at best, the N1 is just another comparable option but neither fun "owns" the other. He's just ignorant :-\

Just my $.02.

EDIT: If I came off a bit harsh on the N1, I apologize. Both phones are great phones. Just felt your friend was a bit of a moron ;)

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
you have to realize that the Nexus One also has the potential to be upgraded (ex. they are reportedly not even allowing access to the whole 512 of ram yet) The Nexus is the first Android phone running a Snapdragon so I'm sure the phone will have updates that optimize the use of its hardware. As far as this whole Droid has a GPU Nexus don't gibberish...well that's just BS!

That sounds like wishful thinking right there. By the time said optimizations would be ready or brought out, the N1 will be old school.

Nexus One ram status? - Android Forums

I tend to disagree...There are no BETTER phones on any road maps this year. Only equal (Bravo, Xperia) Not that one won't come out later in the year but the N1 is got a good year before its "Old School". Even the G1, which is old school, still gets plenty of play still as far as the ROM community.

Feel free to comfort yourself with that. I'd say its very presumptious to say nothing else is better coming out this year.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
wuyanks,

That doesn't really make sense. You have 40-50mb sitting there, doing nothing. More is not going to speed up your phone whatsoever. Apps get swapped in and out of ram all the time. This isn't windows, it has better memory management.

i know how RAM works, thank you. mods should probably shut this thread down... repeated info, and a flame war is brewing here

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, I am glad that you know. Then you also realize that free ram is wasted ram. If you have free ram now, extra aint gonna help you ;)

chris420o

Reaction score
Droid has a dedicated graphics processor...n1 doesn't...our graphics and phone processes are run separately the n1s aren't both running off same processor...so the processor speed of n1 gives it little speed improvement over droids...bc of this I wouldn't be surprised live wallpapers run better on the droid...droid is going to be the standard when it comes to android phones so apps and such will be mainly geared towards the droid...so fprget about pathetic tmobiles lil trackball n1...droid does my dude

natty_lite

Reaction score
I've said repeatedly in threads like these that mobile devices haven't really outgrown 256 yet, so there is no need to be envious of the Nexus's 512. I think the reports of the kernel only using around half of that support this claim. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future, however.

Also, even if the entire 512 was available to the kernel, it wouldn't necessarily lend it itself to the phone being faster, just the ability to open more applications.

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
ddddddddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
:lifting:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Droid has a dedicated graphics processor...n1 doesn't...our graphics and phone processes are run separately the n1s aren't both running off same processor...so the processor speed of n1 gives it little speed improvement over droids...bc of this I wouldn't be surprised live wallpapers run better on the droid...droid is going to be the standard when it comes to android phones so apps and such will be mainly geared towards the droid...so fprget about pathetic tmobiles lil trackball n1...droid does my dude

Not sure where you read that, but its flat out wrong. Both N1 and Droid have GPUs.

avluis

Reaction score
ddddddddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
:lifting:
cccccccoooooooommmmmmbbbbboooooobbbbrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkkkkeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid has the physical keyboard which is honestly the one thing i see. People say the Nexus one is fast, but half of the speed could because of the optimization of Android 2.1 soooo...

JBHorner

Reaction score
I have both, and I MUCH prefer the Droid--for two primary reasons: The battery life on the Droid is much better. The Droid can natively synchronize my work calendar.

The Nexus One is far more sleek, for sure. To me, the screen doesn't have true colors--the white seems kind of gray/white to me. I've also had some problems with programs that depend on the GPS.

It's been a long time since I've had a phone where I don't feel that I "need" the next new phone that comes out. I'm just that happy with the Droid. I supposed I could get more out of both phones if I rooted them, but that isn't something I've really seen a need to do.

I thought I'd be blown away by 2.1. I'm not. Yes, the gallery is better. Yes, it's nice to have more screens. Yes, the animated wallpapers are cool. But they don't really enhance my experience that much.

re: RAM discussion. Seems like the issue is whether or not the full amount of RAM is addressable by the OS at this time, not whether or not it is physically available. Until the OS can address it, it's nothing more than candy in a safe. Just like 64-bit Windoze opens up more RAM than 32-bit Windoze.

Joel

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It seems odd that the limitation is there, considering they are using the 2.6 Linux kernel. I wonder what they have changed because there hasn't been a ram limitation like that in....years and years.

Anyway, to the above poster:

What are your thoughts on speed differences between the Droid and N1? I rather hear it from an owner than a review.