Differences between the Nexus One and Droid?

bigtmonee

Reaction score
So I was out last night and my friend told me that his friend got the new nexus one and that it "pretty much owned the droid". I don't know much about the specifications and capabilities of the nexus one. Can anyone fill me in as to why the nexus one is so much better?

I was under the impression that both phones were pretty comperable... Same operating system right?

Elysian

Reaction score
The people who think the Nexus One "pretty much owns the Droid" only want to believe that is true. Video comparisons have shown me that they both perform virtually the same, and the screen on the Droid has much better color accuracy. Droids screen is also higher res.

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
It has a little faster processor, but its not fast enough to really notice a huge difference. The N1 also includes Android 2.1 that has that snazzy new gallery and app drawer. The moving wallpapers are also included in 2.1. I think the droid is better cuz its not htc and it has a keyboard if you like that.

tktouch12

Reaction score
yes same operating system. you could go to each's website and check out the specs, but the main differences are.
-droid has physical keyboard (that some people hate, i love), nexus doesnt have one
-nexus has faster processor, but droid has a gpu, so there isnt much difference
-nexus has twice as much ram, personally i think thats a big difference
-nexus also has twice as much internal memory for apps (not a huge deal)
-i think it has an hdmi out port? thats pretty sweet
-nexus has a trackball. i like them personally
-does it have an oled screen? droids is pretty good though (and has more pixels)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Comparison: HTC NEXUS ONE - MOTOROLA DROID

Size and weight
Height: 119mm - 115.8mm
Width: 59.8mm - 60mm
Depth: 11.5mm - 13.7mm
Weight: 130 grams - 169 grams

Touchscreen
Screen Size: 3.7-inch WVGA - 3.7-inch WVGA
Type: AMOLED - TFT LCD
Resolution: 800 x 480 pixels - 854 x 480 pixels (16:9 widescreen)

Camera
Resolution: 5 megapixels - 5 megapixels
Focus: Autofocus - Autofocus
Zoom: 2X digital - 4X digital
Flash: LED - Dual LED
Geotagging: Yes - Yes
Dedicated Camera Button: No - Yes
Video Resolution: 720x480 pixels - 720x480 pixels
Recording Speed: 20 fps or higher - up to 24 fps

Connectivity
Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) - Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
Bluetooth: A2DP Stereo 2.1 + EDR - A2DP Stereo 2.1 + EDR
Headset Jack: 3.5mm - 3.5mm
USB: MicroUSB 2.0 - MicroUSB 2.0

Power
Battery: Removable 1400 mAH - Removable 1400 mAH
Talk time: (3G) 7 hours - 6.41 hours
Standby time: (3G) 250 hours - 270 hours
Noise Reduction: Dual microphone - Dual microphone

Processing
CPU: Qualcomm SnapDragon 8250 - ARM Cortex A8
Speed: 1000 MHz - 550Mhz

Memory
ROM: 512MB - 512MB
RAM: 512MB - 256MB
External: 4GB Micro SD Card - 16GB Micro SD Card
(Expandable to 32 GB) - (Expandable to 32 GB)

Android Operating System
Version: 2.1 (Eclair) - 2.0.1 (Eclair) (2.1 Update announced)

Interface
Touchscreen: Capacitive - Capacitive
Keyboard: Virtual - Virtual, QWERTY Slider
Navigation: Trackball - D-Pad

Sensors
GPS: aGPS (assisted) - aGPS (assisted), sGPS (simultaneous)
Proximity: Yes - Yes
Ambient Light: Yes - Yes
Digital compass: Yes - Yes
Accelerometer: Yes - Yes

Flash Capability
Optimized Flash 10.1 Announced: Yes - Yes

Taken From - Droid vs Nexus - Page 3 - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

Shel

Reaction score
The Nexus One is thinner and lighter, and has AMOLED screen, which looks really sharp.

From what I've read, the Droid has better speaker for using speaker phone or other sounds, has better sound when talking on the phone, and better battery life.

Droid has a very sharp screen, with (from what I've read) more accurate color rendtion. Droid also obviously comes with a physical keyboard.

They are both great devices! The Nexus One also comes with OS 2.1, but the Droid is supposed to get that soon.

Either one sounds like a great device.

I've had the Droid since Nov., and I'm thrilled with it! It's the #1 selling Android device for a reason!

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
What makes nexus better is the 2 times as much ram so it could run more things at the same time or direct more power to run one thing.
I personally think droid is better because of the physical keyboard I can type like 3 times faster with the physical one then I can on touch screen.
also with keyboard there can be more a variety of apps.

Droid has sold hundreds of thousands more devices than nexus one in one week of each selling.

Last edited:
OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Hmm.. so the nexus one has faster processor and more memory, but the droid has the better screen...

Seems like the nexus one does have a slight one up on us ;(

(Except that our service provider is hands down #1!)

SoCalMiles

Reaction score
you have to realize that the Nexus One also has the potential to be upgraded (ex. they are reportedly not even allowing access to the whole 512 of ram yet) The Nexus is the first Android phone running a Snapdragon so I'm sure the phone will have updates that optimize the use of its hardware. As far as this whole Droid has a GPU Nexus don't gibberish...well that's just BS!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
you have to realize that the Nexus One also has the potential to be upgraded (ex. they are reportedly not even allowing access to the whole 512 of ram yet) The Nexus is the first Android phone running a Snapdragon so I'm sure the phone will have updates that optimize the use of its hardware. As far as this whole Droid has a GPU Nexus don't gibberish...well that's just BS!

That sounds like wishful thinking right there. By the time said optimizations would be ready or brought out, the N1 will be old school.

52brandon

Reaction score
I want the more ram, not worried about the other specs. Nexus is googles flagship for a reason. Motorola is rumored to be designing googles next one...

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
What are you tallking about?!?

if you have 512 ram you have 512 ram. You cant be denied access to the abilities of your phone ram wise. If they didnt want the thing to be 512 ram they wouldn't have.

RAM is random access memory. this means that is how much things you CAN run.

You are allowed to use full extent of your ram.

SoCalMiles

Reaction score

That sounds like wishful thinking right there. By the time said optimizations would be ready or brought out, the N1 will be old school.

Nexus One ram status? - Android Forums

I tend to disagree...There are no BETTER phones on any road maps this year. Only equal (Bravo, Xperia) Not that one won't come out later in the year but the N1 is got a good year before its "Old School". Even the G1, which is old school, still gets plenty of play still as far as the ROM community.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

if you have 512 ram you have 512 ram. You cant be denied access to the abilities of your phone ram wise. If they didnt want the thing to be 512 ram they wouldn't have.

RAM is random access memory. this means that is how much things you CAN run.

You are allowed to use full extent of your ram.

as of now 256 is just enough for my droid.. usually have 40-50mb free (with tons of widgets running), which isn't much... would've been nice to have 512, but really not necessary at this point.