Differences between CM6 and BB0.4?

Silentknyght

Reaction score
So, in my impatience to wait for BB0.5, I'm pursuing trying out other roms.

I've liked BB because it "just works", but the constant official update notifications and a few lingering bugs (wifi tether app's access control doesn't work apparently due to lackings in the BB itself) have prompted me to look elsewhere.

Surely I'm not the only other person who's (considered) switching from BB to CM. Is there a list of the common differences, or pros & cons? I'd prefer a frank discussion as opposed to any "hype".

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As an Ex-BB-User/Supporter/and Donator I moved on to SS 4.7 and now to UD 8.0 both ROM's are great and offer so much more than Bugless did, chances are I will never go back to BB unless Pete pulls off something from Source

justicw

Reaction score
I too am tired of waiting so I am looking at other roms as well but I have to say its very confusing. I wish there was a single point of info on ALL the roms but I havn't found it yet.

I love BB .4 but I can't wait for .5 any longer so I am either going back to stock (with root) or going to try some of the other roms on the market. As long as I have flash I don't care what rom I have lol.

yourhero88

Reaction score
As a recent adopter of CM6 from BB 0.4, I can say the differences are noticeable.

Most notably, the fact that CM has it's own built-in settings, allowing you greater control over the look, feel, and performance of your device. I have noticed slightly less draw-in and slightly improved battery life, no doubt due to the fact that CM is built from source.

In the end, any Droid user will tell you that it is a matter of preference. I haven't noticed one Rom that stands head and shoulders above the others yet. Fire up Rom manager, and pop around between a few. Try them each for a day and see which ones feel right.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
BB is made by taking a stock droid and modifying things. Removing packages, editing configurations, adding things, etc. CM is made by taking the released android source code, modifying it to add things, compiling it for the device, and adding in the google apps.

The result:

BB (and roms like it) will be closer to the way motorola/verizon intended. Much of the OS will be identical to a stock phone, so you'll have almost complete compatibility with apps.

CM (and roms like it) will have a lot of modifications that just aren't possible for a phone that is not "source-based". Changing the status bar color without modifying the framework, adding a reboot option to the power-off menu, notification LED tweaks, etc